By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Sell 12mil Lifetime (or close to it)

Dulfite said:
I would pay $60 for the new battlemode only, I think... let alone the rest of the game lol

yeah for real xD I played the crap out of battle mode on ds, last good battle mode imo this one looks good but I can't get a switch :(

Around the Network

It's not easy, but I can see it reaching 10m+ in the end, especialy if they bundle it in the holidays.

I think it will sell 1m+ on launch week alone, but then we'll have to see how legs will be once heavy hitters like Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey drop.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It depends on how far away they are from MK9. If it's a long ways away, and they bring the Russian bundle worldwide, sure, why not.

Bofferbrauer said:
SpokenTruth said:

So you are saying a lower percentage of new Switch owners after the launch months will want MK8:D than previous Mario Kart games?

No, I'm just saying it will sell huge numbers at first, then settle down to it's (high) cruise speed after that. Which all Mario Kart more or less do, but the transition between the two is normally several months long. I don't think the transition of MK8DX will be several months long, just one or maximum 2 months.

I don't know what transition you're talking about. Taking MK8 as an example, it sold 1.2m first week and then 350k the week after, so a 70% drop, which is a normal drop for most games. Then, 1 month later it started selling around 70~100k each week. 

I don't see how MK8D will do much worse than that, as most people that buy a Switch at the time will either pick Zelda or Mario Kart (most likely MK, since Zelda will already be over 3m).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

If it was a new Mario Kart, then yes, easily.

I'm thinking around 5 million. If I'm wrong and it does more, great!

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
If it was a new Mario Kart, then yes, easily.

I'm thinking around 5 million. If I'm wrong and it does more, great!

I think it will pass that and possibly go much further even if the Switch picks up a lot of non-Wii U owners.  Which is definitely possible, many tens of millions of dedicated gaming hardware consumers never owned a Wii U, so there's a substantial untapped market there. 

Wright said:

Miyamotoo said:

Just we having remaster of most popular Wii U game, system that sold only 13-14m, lotsa Switch owners (curent or future ) didnt had Wii U, and for them MK8D is great new game, and actually lots a Wii U owners will do double-dipping maybe because of full handheld play or new Battle Mode. We dont know if Switch will have MK9 at all, or if it will, when could be arive, so people who want MK will buy MK8D, they will not wait for MK9 when they dont know for sure if will arive on Switch at all or when exatly could arive.

5m is very positive, but not impossible, don't forget MK8 on Wii U has attach rate around 60%, you can bet that lotsa people thought that was impossible also. MK8D is in any case easily 5m+ seller on Switch.

Being the most popular WiiU game makes it for a certainly profitable avenue to remaster and port, but that doesn't strictly has to indicate that it will sell the same amount (let alone 12 million, like OP asks). I'm not really sure the power pull of Battle Mode for most people that bought in on WiiU, but I assume it won't be enough to consider that many amount of double-dips (outside people just wanting to pay for the same game again but in a different platform). Some people that missed it on WiiU can also consider, but I'm not banking either on that many people wanting to play a remaster, and they might entertain themselves with everything else Switch has up this point until the inevitable (because it's almost a given that will happen, and people know it) Mario Kart 9.

5 million is overly positive for the first year. That would mean doing over the 65% of the sales that the game did on the other console lifetime in just a span of six-twelve months, and I just don't see that happening.

It doesn't mean it will sell same amount of course, but you need to take few points in account, its great and was most popular game on Wii U, Wii U had very limited user base, Switch instal base will much larger than Wii U ones and there will be lots a Switch owners who didn't had Wii U, for plenty of them, MK8D will be must have game because will one best and one game with very wide apeling on Switch, for people who didnt had Wii U, MK8D is new game not remaster. Its not point only about new Battle Mode, full portable mode will be for some people game changer for some Wii U owners. You and people dont know at all if Switch will have onother MK game, evre Nintendo platform had only one MK game per platform, so it's not given that Switch will have MK9, maybe it will have, but in that case we dont know when, and definitely not in near future (earliest would be end of 2019.).

Yes, 5m is very positive for 1st year but its still achievable, but it will easily have sales over 5m LT, MK8D will be one most popular Switch games, at least until maybe MK9 arives on Switch, MK8D can have attach rate at least of around 30% before posible MK9 arrives.

Mar1217 said:
That's too high for a game which is obviously gonna be replace by a newer one in like 2 years by Nintendo.

The release date of MK9 might depend on how well MK8D sells. As long as it keeps selling like hotcakes, Nintendo won't feel the need to release MK9 already.

10M for me. :P

good promotion on toys r us, the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the entrance is cool. Who doesn't like Mario Kart though. My kids either play MK8, squid (Splatoon), or Lego Undercover on the Wii U.

It could, but I hope it doesn't.

Because it'll only sell 12 million if we don't get a MK9 on Switch, and I think there's a good chance we won't.