By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Sell 12mil Lifetime (or close to it)

Lol seems like I missed this last year. I know this is hindsight, but I’d say it was always obvious MK8DX was going to sell well beyond 12m. 20m is now also an easy target. Seems like a “Bold prediction” these days should start at “matching Mario Kart Wii” for this game.

Around the Network

I think we've already gotten our Mario Kart on the Switch. I would appreciate some DLC later on like an extra cup, but there is no reason to have two Mario Karts on one system. I'd rather see an Fzero for the first time in 15 years than two mario karts on the same system.

MK8 Deluxe will finish at 15 million to 20 million.

BlackBeauty said:
MK8 Deluxe will finish at 15 million to 20 million.

Wouldn't it be funny if we make a new thread with this title and it's also outdated in a year? lol

It should and it would still be a collossal failure compared to Wii sales. Unfortunately the franchise has greatly declined.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has the best legs out of all Switch games. Not only that, but its shipments in calendar year 2018 have been more than 50% of Switch hardware shipments. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably surpass the 15m mark by the end of 2018, so even a hypothetical Mario Kart 9 in late 2019 won't stop MK8D from selling more than 20m copies.

Great so it'll only be a 50% franchise decline. So when GTA 6 sells 15 million copies you'll call that a raging success.

It will sell 20M+ lifetime. 

contestgamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has the best legs out of all Switch games. Not only that, but its shipments in calendar year 2018 have been more than 50% of Switch hardware shipments. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably surpass the 15m mark by the end of 2018, so even a hypothetical Mario Kart 9 in late 2019 won't stop MK8D from selling more than 20m copies.

Great so it'll only be a 50% franchise decline. So when GTA 6 sells 15 million copies you'll call that a raging success.

Do you realize this a port right? It already sold 8 million on Wii U. It should be close to 30 million combined when it’s all said and done. And Mario Kart Wii was a bundled game inflating its sales.

And how is it a decline when it’s one of the top selling Mario Kart? Was Mario kart ds? Or 7 a decline? A flop? 

BlackBeauty said:
contestgamer said:

Do you realize this a port right? It already sold 8 million on Wii U. It should be close to 30 million combined when it’s all said and done. And Mario Kart Wii was a bundled game inflating its sales.

And how is it a decline when it’s one of the top selling Mario Kart? Was Mario kart ds? Or 7 a decline? A flop? 

Everything since MK Wii has been a disappointment. Cant say flop since they sold well, but the decline has been severe. I could see Wiiu+Switch selling 22-23 mil max, which is decent, but still a pretty rough decline.

contestgamer said:
BlackBeauty said:

Everything since MK Wii has been a disappointment. Cant say flop since they sold well, but the decline has been severe. I could see Wiiu+Switch selling 22-23 mil max, which is decent, but still a pretty rough decline.

Ummm.... MK8D is already over 19mil and its placement is in the top 5 in japan every week as well as #2 in US of July and top selling sku in UK weekly.

Its going to be over 23mil by years end. The game will do more than 30mil lifetime