By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Breath Of the Wild's Story Live Up To Its Potential?

Was The Story Alone Epic?

Yeeessss! 22 34.38%

Nah, It Was Dull 20 31.25%

Not Bad, But Not Great 22 34.38%

Total:64

This story trailer for BoTW is honestly one of the best I've ever seen for a game, or even for a movie for that matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

How do you guys feel about BotW's story? Was it as epic as the trailer implied? Without giving spoilers, I kinda felt the events they were describing in the past were more interesting than the present story, lol. 

Around the Network

Yes, its Link recovering from pretty much amnesia, and the more you play and more you discover.

No. It obliterated all expectations.

I never expected such a legendary Zelda game to ever come. It makes you feel like you WANT to stay. You don't want to leave. You want to keep going and going to explore every inch if this beautiful game. I am at 180 hours and i still have avoided the final boss.

It's a game I am glad to have experienced in my lifetime. It's a piece of art that will age quite well

The story is what you make it. My story was amazing.

The story was anecdotal at best, downright terrible, even for Zelda standards. Doesn't matter too much since the game isn't narrative-focused at all, but I was expecting something a little better.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

where's the poll ? :P

No, it felt like the game does not have a story at all, the search the big world for all memories thing is a bad joke. I had the chance to play Horizon this weekend and my 6 hours with Horizon were far better (and contained much more more AAA level story) than my 100 hours with Zelda. Nintendo wasted a lot of potential here, With a great story (and music) BotW could have been the best game ever made but it does not even come close to former Zelda games.

Horizon has a real Xenoblade Chronicles- like story. Horizon is a better game, the only thing I did not like is the generic procedurally generated graphics.

Like Lewis said, it's pretty much as great as you want it to be, and it's honestly one of the most memorable to me. I really enjoy how Zelda's story was done, how you watch her deal with insecurities and an overbearing burden, growing closer with Link, and for it all to culminate in the final memory. Honestly, I can't think of another game in the series where the princess was so well characterized, which is funny, considering most story elements were completely optional.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I would prefer if more games took the BotW route of optional story. The story itself is fine. I wouldn't have wanted more or less. That trailer is probably my favorite of all time, btw.

The one dissapointing thing, I will say, is the fact that that trailer used literally every cutscene in the entire game

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Oh, also, I find the story to be more about the game you play, not the cutscenes you see. It's not perfect, but it's pretty well done.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988