By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Breath Of the Wild's Story Live Up To Its Potential?

Was The Story Alone Epic?

Yeeessss! 22 34.38%

Nah, It Was Dull 20 31.25%

Not Bad, But Not Great 22 34.38%

Total:64

Zelda's butt is the 2nd best plot this year! 2B having the best plot.

Around the Network

Of course, it could have been better, but it was very good for a game in which the story isn't that important.

I loved the story, the cutscenes of the champions tell so much about them in so little time, Zelda's character, the stuff you can read in diaries, what some characters tell you, even some NPCs stories talking outside the "main" plot, I love the way all was structured, what little is shown and how much power and nuances every scene has, my favorite Zelda story since Wind Waker.

It's hard to say without going into "spoilers" but the people you meet, the experience you have, the secrets you uncover, the perils you overcome--that is your story. There's a ton of lore and history to uncover. There's people down on their luck that need help. There's opinions to sway. There's hostages to rescue.

It's okay if people prefer a "this happens and then THIS happens" narrative--and if you stick to the main quest, you get that. But the more you look, the more you find. You make your own legend in this game. When those final credits rolled, I couldn't have been happier.

I think the story was as good as I expected and what could come out of it. In an open world where you have the option to go to any dungeon or not go at all, get the Master Sword or not, find all the memories or not, or go to the final boss right away (if you had the balls to go for it), this particular way of story telling may not be as strong as some would hope, but I think it was still pretty good. Especially when you piece everything together from the memories to the diaries to the various text you find (i.e., the Zora story walls found around the Domain).

While it would've been nice to see more character development from the Champions and a few others, I do enjoy their presence and they contributed well to main mission. Zelda in BoTW is definitely the best version compared to her past counterparts. While I enjoyed Tetra, OoT Zelda, TP Zelda, and SS Zelda, BoTW Zelda had a variety of emotions and a deeper arc that showed she is not a damsel as some would think. Plus, that ass though..

Plus, what makes this game so incredible is how you make up your own story through experiencing the game. Reading and watching players go through different experiences from me is so cool and I haven't seen that in a game before. You're still discovering new ways to deal with traveling, enemies, dungeons, puzzles, etc. Players are doing some cool s@$% in BoTW.

Around the Network

>__>
<__<

Apart from Zelda's personal tale it was really nothing special. The cutscenes are meager, basic plot unremarkable, most characters very one dimensional, and the disjointed and piecemeal structure sure doesn't help. There's some charming personalities and lore to uncover like you'll find in many adventures/rpgs/open worlds, but the game doesn't exactly stand above the crowd in that regard. 

What story? I played for 172 hours, made my own story. Way too much time in between story segments to retain anything more than defeat 4 divine beasts, get sword, kill Ganon, the end. It was an epic journey of exploration, yet story wise, no clue.

I liked the story overall. Its obviously no witcher 3 but for a zelda story, it is certainly above average. The only thing I didn't like was the VA. It was 110% terrible. I wish they at least had a mute option or given us the Japanese audio as an option which would have made it a better experience for me.

Apart from that though, it is a step in the right direction.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

BotW had the potential for an interesting story, but the decision to focus on characters as opposed to the collapse of Hyrule as a whole was a poor one. BotW's extremely non linear design (as well as the fact that most of the major characters are dead) means that how much the player can interact with the main cast is quite limited, which makes it hard to really get invested in anyone. By contrast, the player is consistently interacting with the world, and making the story focus more on how Hyrule fell into ruin would've made the narrative more engaging.

Super_Boom said:
Like Lewis said, it's pretty much as great as you want it to be, and it's honestly one of the most memorable to me. I really enjoy how Zelda's story was done, how you watch her deal with insecurities and an overbearing burden, growing closer with Link, and for it all to culminate in the final memory. Honestly, I can't think of another game in the series where the princess was so well characterized, which is funny, considering most story elements were completely optional.

I saw all the memories completely out of order with lots of time in between each one (avoided fast travel the whole game). I only remember Zelda as being rather whiny. I never got to watching them in the right order after collecting them all, didn't feel like it as my own / Links story can never be topped in his epic journey!

My favorite part of the story was crossing the Hebra mountains, running low on frost resistance food, trying to survive and fight a way off the mountain on the other side to glide down in a completely different territory. I was only looking for some plants, didn't find them, couldn't go back, luckily I found the Rito. Other epic moments include beating the first Lynel after many failures, finding and taming the black stallion, exploring the coast and drifting onto Eventide island. So many great stories to be told, who is this Zelda anyway :)

(I never watched the story trailer so had nothing to tie the story elements to, they just seemed very random memories to me)