By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Nintendo Switch prediction

Hi everyone, i'm sure many people on VGChartz remember me. Some months ago i dropped this site, and in general many others internet site because i've got some things to do (real life things), and i still have something to do, so i'll still left this site, but i think in some months i can back withouth problem permanently.

That being said, i wanted to back even only for today for do something i really love to do: talk about my predictions. I'm a bit rusty, but modestly i stiill think i'm one of the best to do this, so here we go.

After bought a Switch and enjoyed it with Breath of the Wild, i'll write here my predictions for the platform.

01. Hardware sales:

The Nintendo Switch will ships over 16.5 million units in 2017 (sales something in the 15 million range), and will have a better first year than the 3DS. For the quarters shipments, i expect something like:

Q1 2017 - 2.7 million / NEW
Q2 2017 - 2.8 million / 5.5 million
Q3 2017 - 3.0 million / 8.5 million
Q4 2017 - 8.0 million / 16.5 million

Talking about sold through, i think we'll see something like 4.5 million in Japan and 5 million in USA, the rest will be sold in the rest of world.

Switch won't have a pricedrop before 2018, outside maybe an official 30€ pricedrop in some Europe countries, and will do similar performance to Wii worldwide. I was expect something like 80 million in January, now i would not be surprised if it sells like/more than Wii in the end, but for now i wanna be conservate and i just rise my prediction to 90 million.

02. Software sales:

Zelda: Breath of the wild will ship 4 million in the first quarter, 7 million in 2017, and 11 million lifetime. Expect something like 2 million on Wii U, 9 million on Switch.

Mario Odyssey will become the best selling Mario 3D game ever, outselling Super Mario Galaxy which has sold over 12.7 million units. I expect 15 million lifetime for Mario Odyssey, 5 million only in 2017. (ship+digital)

Splatoon 2 will sell similar to Mario Odyssey, about 15 million lifetime, but more sales in 2017 because of the release date (July VS holidays), and i expect almost 6 million in 2017.
Japan i think we'll see something like 2 million only in 2017, and at least 4 million lifetime (i would say 4.5-5 million).

Arms is the most hard to predict. I think it won't be that game that will sell the console, but the opposite, the game will sell because the success of the console. So far i expect something like 1.5 million in 2017 and 3 million lifetime, but well, this really depend on what Nintendo do with this IP.

Talking about others games will release after 2018:

Fire Emblem will continue to increase, mostly because the general series grown, the success of the Switch, and Fire Emblem Heroes, i think Fire Emblem Switch 2018 is gonna do 4+ million lifetime.

Smash Bros Switch, after the amazing perfromance of Smash 4 (slower start than Brawl, but then way better legs thanks a good world of mouth), will do amazing too, i think we'll see a similar launch to Brawl, with the difference it won't have bad legs, so overall, better lifetime sales, even in this case, best selling Smash Bros ever (+15 million)

Pokémon will continue to be Pokémon. I think the Pokémons on Switch should have similar performance to Sun/Moon, maybe slower launch but better legs (~20 million lifetime)

That's all. I'm basically back just for tell you what i think anyway, cause who rememb me know i like do those kind of predictions.

Bye guys, had good days.

Around the Network

Welcome back Ryng Tolu.

I think surpassing Wii is highly unlikely. The market just isn't there. Even beating 3DS LT sales is a tough task IMO.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Hello, Ryng Tolu, how have you been? So you predict the Switch will outsell the WiiU lifetime during its first year on the market? The sad thing is that I can see it happening. I really wish the Switch to do well, but I'm worried about the stream of software. Nintendo and nindies are going strong in this, but I'm still waiting for the A-AA japanese devs to port all of their projects to the new handheld. The Vita still gets tons of niche JRPGs that would do well on the Switch, and the 3DS has still some major games coming for it. When will the Switch officially become the main handheld platform to develop for?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

These predictions look very reasonable. I personally think sales will be a little lower than you said, but it would be nice if it will do this well.

Around the Network

Oh no, it's like your PS4 predictions all over again.

You get way too excited and make way too optimistic predictions! xD

15 Million sold to consumers by the end of the year isn't going to happen.

12 Million is max imo, I'd predict closer to 9m.

welcome back :)

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Barkley said:
Oh no, it's like your PS4 predictions all over again.

You get way too excited and make way too optimistic predictions! xD

15 Million sold to consumers by the end of the year isn't going to happen.

12 Million is max imo, I'd predict closer to 9m.

Now that i think about that, another thing i'm famous are the avatar bets :p

Avatar bet it will be closer to 15 million than 9 million?

Ryng_Tolu said:

Barkley said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

That is then, 1 month of avatar controll. :p

P.S

Joking of course, good luck ;D

Thanks all for the comeback comments.