By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - An exciting 3 way console war is about to begin!

Mummelmann said:
It won't be that interesting, in my opinion. PS4 sells the most, Switch easily outsells the Wii U but won't come close to the PS4, Xbox One won't get much help from Scorpio at all and ends up fighting to keep the Switch below it, which it may or not succeed in doing. Japan is settled too, Switch should easily sell the most there, I won't be the least bit surprised if and when the Switch doubles the PS4's lifetime sales there.
Battle for second place is somewhat interesting, but it becomes more or less irrelevant once you realize that these two machines have entirely different demographics and the stakes aren't really there. Switch won't affect the PS4/One much at all and vice versa, so this might be a fairly boring few years we have ahead of us.

The numbers in themselves are more interesting, if only we got them on a regular basis and they were anywhere near correct, we don't need another 40-50% margin of error this year like we did at the beginning of 2016.

I really doubt that that will happen. PS4 will end with 10-12 million, doubling that would mean 3DS numbers and the Japanese market is just not big enough for that anymore. 

Around the Network
naruball said:
Flilix said:

1. Common sense. Sorry, no source found.

2. You're right, I should have said 'most popular'.

3. I was talking about the consoles, not the games.

I admit, saying that PS4 and XOne have almost completely the same library was a bit hyperbolic. However, they do have very similar libraries, espacially if you compare them to Nintendo consoles.
3 games out of the 30 best selling PS4 games are exclusives, 7/30 exclusives for XOne, 30/30 for 3DS and 27/30 for WiiU.

1. Common sense is not an argument. In other words, no solid foundation and you very well could be wrong.

2. More popular is still problematic. You mean "better selling"? Because some nintendo ips sell better than ps/xb ones, some don't.

3. My bad.

4. Yes, and like I said, they have similar libraries simply because they have plenty of 3rd party support. Remove that (which NIntendo mostly doesn't have) and then you have two completely different libraries. Again, no solid foundation.

5. Why do only the best selling games matter in your comparison? The success of all these 1st and 3rd party games clearly show that ps4/xb1 owners have such a variety of tastes in games that all sorts of genres get to shine and make a profit.

1. I know, sorry. I can't find any source about this. But it seems common sense to me though, a lot of people have a Nintendo console as a second console for the  exclusives.

2. What's the difference? The more they sell, the more popular they are. And like I said in my previous post, they definitely are more popular.

Flilix said:
3 games out of the 30 best selling PS4 games are exclusives, 7/30 exclusives for XOne, 30/30 for 3DS and 27/30 for WiiU.

4. Remove the 3rd party support for PS4 and XOne, and you have 2 consoles with very few popular games. Again, see my previous post. ^

5. Because this thread is about sales?

Me?

I just think this whole console war thing is bat-silly. I just want three healthy systems and be done with it. Everyone would profit from that. The companies, the players, which would lead to a constant evolution of games.

I guess i'll make a prediction for next gen since this thread is here and it has one of the consoles from it out now. I'll be a bit bold. PS5>xbox new>switch

Flilix said:
naruball said:

1. Common sense is not an argument. In other words, no solid foundation and you very well could be wrong.

2. More popular is still problematic. You mean "better selling"? Because some nintendo ips sell better than ps/xb ones, some don't.

3. My bad.

4. Yes, and like I said, they have similar libraries simply because they have plenty of 3rd party support. Remove that (which NIntendo mostly doesn't have) and then you have two completely different libraries. Again, no solid foundation.

5. Why do only the best selling games matter in your comparison? The success of all these 1st and 3rd party games clearly show that ps4/xb1 owners have such a variety of tastes in games that all sorts of genres get to shine and make a profit.

1. I know, sorry. I can't find any source about this. But it seems common sense to me though, a lot of people have a Nintendo console as a second console for the  exclusives.

2. What's the difference? The more they sell, the more popular they are. And like I said in my previous post, they definitely are more popular.

Flilix said:

4. Remove the 3rd party support for PS4 and XOne, and you have 2 consoles with very few popular games. Again, see my previous post. ^

1. And a lot of people have a ps4 and an xb1 for the exclusives. Seriously. Ask users here. Even some of the biggest xb1 fans have a ps4 and/or a ps3. There is no proof that there are more ps4 owners with a wiiu or a switch or that that is going to change any time soon. But, anyway, at least you made it clear now that it was simply an assumption on your part.

2. There is a difference. Some games are popular but don't sell well for a number of reasons (e.g. last star fox game or last metroid game). My point is that not all of Ninty's IP are more popular/better selling than all of Sony's and/or MS's. Some are, some aren't.

4. Remove them and you still have plenty of popular games.

5. Yes, sales, but you're clearly cherry-picking. You didn't answer my question. Why only the top 30? What about all the other dozens if not hundreds of games that sell well on ps4 (and xb1) but don't make the top 30?

Around the Network

ps4 is going to accelerate forward with more momentum by the end of year. it is now the goto console for gamers..

watch what happens when price cuts come in with bundles of gran turismo. switch and xbox one will be left behind completely

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

naruball said:
Flilix said:

1. And a lot of people have a ps4 and an xb1 for the exclusives. Seriously. Ask users here. Even some of the biggest xb1 fans have a ps4 and/or a ps3. There is no proof that there are more ps4 owners with a wiiu or a switch or that that is going to change any time soon. But, anyway, at least you made it clear now that it was simply an assumption on your part.

2. There is a difference. Some games are popular but don't sell well for a number of reasons (e.g. last star fox game or last metroid game). My point is that not all of Ninty's IP are more popular/better selling than all of Sony's and/or MS's. Some are, some aren't.

5. Yes, sales, but you're clearly cherry-picking. You didn't answer my question. Why only the top 30? What about all the other dozens if not hundreds of games that sell well on ps4 (and xb1) but don't make the top 30?

2. Nintendo has more IP's in general, and a lot of the most popular IP's are made by Nintendo (Pokémon, Mario, Super Smash Bros, ...).
Can you explain what you mean by popular? I define 'popular' as 'played by a lot of people'.

4. Not enough to keep a console alive. Wii U had more popular exclusives, and was a complete failure.
Switch will have more 1st party games than the Wii U, because it's Nintendo's only next gen console.

5. Because it takes less time to only do the top 30. Okay, fine...
17/100 for PS4, 15/100 for XOne, 43/100 for Wii U (due to the lack of first party games) and 77/100 for 3DS.

PS4 sales > Xbox One, Scorpio, Wii U, and Switch combined

why does it have to be a war? cant we all just co-exist and accept that people have preferences?

Flilix said:
naruball said:

2. Nintendo has more IP's in general, and a lot of the most popular IP's are made by Nintendo (Pokémon, Mario, Super Smash Bros, ...).
Can you explain what you mean by popular? I define 'popular' as 'played by a lot of people'.

4. Not enough to keep a console alive. Wii U had more popular exclusives, and was a complete failure.
Switch will have more 1st party games than the Wii U, because it's Nintendo's only next gen console.

5. Because it takes less time to only do the top 30. Okay, fine...
17/100 for PS4, 15/100 for XOne, 43/100 for Wii U (due to the lack of first party games) and 77/100 for 3DS.

Ok, we're going in circles so I'll close with this last point.

It seems that you keep repeating the same point over and over again, i.e. that because ninty ips overall sell more than xb/ps, there is more reason to buy a ninty console as a second console. Ignoring that Ninty mostly makes cartoony/ non realiastic looking games that most gamers aren't interested in.

It also appears that you're one of the people who are under the impression that exclusives are the one and only reason to buy a console. They're not. Actually far from it. We buy them for the whole package: the brand (or the image), the controller, the price, the network and its stability, the prices of the games, the hardware, the deals one finds on its webstore, the fact that other friends have it, etc.

That's why Ninty consoles are to the average ps4 gamer (imo) far from the perfect second console. They offer an experience they're not interested in.