By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nier Automata is the best Platinum game to date and the best game this generation

Nier Automata shows that Yoko Taro is better at directing games than Hideki Kamiya. Its captivating in a way that no other Platinum game was, actually no other game has been at all. The combat is amazing like other Platinum games but I found the rest of them to be severely lacking in several other crucial areas of gameplay like level design, pacing and variety in gameplay. Nier Automata doesn't have great level design but its vastly better than most Platinum games and the pacing is spot on. The game also offers variety that I haven't seen in any game before with its constant twists and turns in gameplay that make the campaign feel fresh throughout the game.

The story is also the best I've experienced in video games, way better than Naughty Dog's overrated cliche plots and even better than God of War 2 and Red Dead Redemption which had the best story yet in my opinion. The protagonists are Androids yet the game made me feel more emotions than any human protagonist has done in a game. I'm not one to care much about story in games in general partially because most of them are cliche plots and I'm more of gameplay guy. But this game is different as it nails the story AND the gameplay which is again something I haven't experienced since those two games I've mentioned above.

Now the world building isn't quite as good, and the open world is the biggest weakness of the game. Playing Horizon and then coming to this was a huge downgrade, where Horizon excelled at crafting a brilliant open world, the best I've ever experienced this feels nowhere Nier as good (pun intended). But the otehr aspects of the game more than make up for it and if you have a PC and PS4, just do yourself a favour and play this game. Even if you're not into hack and slash games and Japanese games, this one is worth playing but be aware that your standards for video game narratives and gameplay will jump into the stratosphere after you play this game.

Around the Network

Fantastic game and I do love it, One of my GOTY contenders but disagree on both accounts. Still think Bayonetta 2 is their best game. Story is good but honestly felt it was a step down than the Papa Nier story in the first game. It's a great ARPG and do think anyone a fan of action or RPGs or just great games SHOULD play it. I esp enjoyed the Shmup moments.

Lost me at the point where you started needlessly bashing games made by Naughty Dog.

I liked the Nier demo, I will buy it once it hits the bargain bin, but you sir make a poor case for the quality of the game.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Nice writeup. Don't know when I'll get around to playing it, but it's on my hit list.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I don't think anyone thinks Uncharted plots are good, do they? The praise comes from the script writing and interactions between characters, not the chasing of doodads.

Otherwise, I really like what I have seen of it. I haven't played yet because I'm about a year behind on releases for the most part, but I look forward to playing it in the future. Whether it will be my favourite Platinum game I don't know, as Bayonetta 1+2, W101 and Vanquish were all great

Around the Network

Personally I enjoyed Nier Automata better than Bayonetta (but very close still) I love so many of Platinum Games' games. They just really know how to shine. The RPG element in Nier was fantastic as well. I would definitely love to see more Nier from PG.

SegataSanshiro said:
Fantastic game and I do love it, One of my GOTY contenders but disagree on both accounts. Still think Bayonetta 2 is their best game. Story is good but honestly felt it was a step down than the Papa Nier story in the first game. It's a great ARPG and do think anyone a fan of action or RPGs or just great games SHOULD play it. I esp enjoyed the Shmup moments.

I haven't played Bayonetta 2 and Nier. I have played a bit fo Bayonetta 2 and from what my friend said after playing the game it had the same strengths and weaknesses of other Platinum games, so I probably would disagree on that point with you. In my opinion level design, pacing and gameplay variety are just as important as combat even in a hack and slash game.

hunter_alien said:
Lost me at the point where you started needlessly bashing games made by Naughty Dog.

I liked the Nier demo, I will buy it once it hits the bargain bin, but you sir make a poor case for the quality of the game.

I stand by my opinion. You can disagree and I know there is a huge ND fanbase that is not willing to accept that their god isn't quite godly in terms of making video games, but this is my opinion on those games. I do like their games but they are not quite the masterpieces they are made out to be.

And as you haven't played Nier you probably wouldn't understand me anyways.

Bandorr said:

What platinum games have actually come out this generation?
Ninja turtles, Transformers, and scalebound?

Great game. Not the best game this generation. Still good though.

I'm talking about all Platinum games. So Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish as well and you can also add all Hideki Kamiya games like Devil May Cry 1 and 3.

celador said:
I don't think anyone thinks Uncharted plots are good, do they? The praise comes from the script writing and interactions between characters, not the chasing of doodads.

Otherwise, I really like what I have seen of it. I haven't played yet because I'm about a year behind on releases for the most part, but I look forward to playing it in the future. Whether it will be my favourite Platinum game I don't know, as Bayonetta 1+2, W101 and Vanquish were all great

Uncharted's plot is pretty celebrated as well. There's a lot of haters too of course.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

GOWTLOZ said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I haven't played Bayonetta 2 and Nier. I have played a bit fo Bayonetta 2 and from what my friend said after playing the game it had the same strengths and weaknesses of other Platinum games, so I probably would disagree on that point with you. In my opinion level design, pacing and gameplay variety are just as important as combat even in a hack and slash game.

hunter_alien said:

I stand by my opinion. You can disagree and I know there is a huge ND fanbase that is not willing to accept that their god isn't quite godly in terms of making video games, but this is my opinion on those games. I do like their games but they are not quite the masterpieces they are made out to be.

And as you haven't played Nier you probably wouldn't understand me anyways.

Bandorr said:

What platinum games have actually come out this generation?
Ninja turtles, Transformers, and scalebound?

Great game. Not the best game this generation. Still good though.

I'm talking about all Platinum games. So Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish as well and you can also add all Hideki Kamiya games like Devil May Cry 1 and 3.

1 - Why do you constantly need to use hyperboles to try and make a point. ND has their week points just like every development team out there. Nobody is questioning that. When it comes to storytelling I think TLoU prooves well enough that they are constantly evolving and moving ahead, so thats good for them. But why even compare it with Nier Automata? The game is nothing like what ND usually makes, and the story/setting is also on the oposite site of the spectrum. Apples to oranges, and for what reason? There are plenty of games you could have used to make a clear comparison but decided not to do it and presented it in a manner that could easily be considered insulting for a certain fanbase.

2 - I did try the demo, and if it is not representative of the quality of the game, than that is Platinum's fault not mine. I was fairly impressed by it, but there are simply way to many games comming out and I have a way to large backlog to actually invest time and money into it.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

outlawauron said:
celador said:

Uncharted's plot is pretty celebrated as well. There's a lot of haters too of course.

really? the overall plot lines are really generic. It's always been the script that has stood out to me as being a cut above almost everyone else in the industry