By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI out July 29 for PS4 and 3DS in Japan! - Trailer/Price/Box Art and More!

Ka-pi96 said:
StarOcean said:

Da fuq you been smoking, mate? It's as traditional af. You dont create your hero and the only time you pick your party is DQ 2-3/9 XD the rest you gain your party via story. The hero ain't customizable. Oi, you're about as well informed on this series as a Amish person is with Star Wars

Well I did say I've never played a DQ before, so obviously I don't know much about them.

But when they always seem to show off a silent nameless hero (seriously, does the hero even have a name?) that doesn't exactly make me doubt the way I see the series

Only named hero is King Erdrick in DQ3. Its super traditional, so he isnt going to talk. The other party characters do, that's what pulls the story. Similar to LoZ, its the writing of the side characters that engage you, not Link

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
StarOcean said:

Only named hero is King Erdrick in DQ3. Its super traditional, so he isnt going to talk. The other party characters do, that's what pulls the story. Similar to LoZ, its the writing of the side characters that engage you, not Link

Well other people may find that traditional but I grew up with Final Fantasy instead so an actual protagonist that's a central part of the story is much more traditional to me... and also sounds much more entertaining to me so DQ just doesn't sound like a game I'd like that much. Oh well, never played one before, so it's not like I haven't passed on it before

FF1/3 had silent protagonists

Intrinsic said:
Watching the trailer i think its obvious why the switch version isn't ready yet.

There are clearly two very different versions of the game on the PS4 and 3DS. The switch version would be expected to be based on the PS4 version of the engine and porting that over to the switch will no doubt require significantly more work.

It would look bad on nintendo if they have the Switch running the 3DS version.

Agreed, you don't even have to look far, Dragon Quest Heroes I/II were not optimized well with the time given and it seems that the PS4/3DS versions were well underway in terms of development before the switch came into question.  Greedy people just have to be patient.

PS4 version  , 40GB or more.

3DS version ? I could'nt found it.

http://store.jp.square-enix.com/category/GM01/CTR_P_BTZJ.html

■コンテンツ仕様について
・対応人数:1人
・必要容量:40GB以上
※ダウンロード時、コンテンツ容量以外に一時的な空き容量が必要です。

http://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/SEDL_1047.html

Train wreck said:
Intrinsic said:
Watching the trailer i think its obvious why the switch version isn't ready yet.

There are clearly two very different versions of the game on the PS4 and 3DS. The switch version would be expected to be based on the PS4 version of the engine and porting that over to the switch will no doubt require significantly more work.

Agreed, you don't even have to look far, Dragon Quest Heroes I/II were not optimized well with the time given and it seems that the PS4/3DS versions were well underway in terms of development before the switch came into question.  Greedy people just have to be patient.

Greedy? Going far no?

Around the Network

Excited that things are progressing with release date announcements, even if the western release is a ways off (it really should be a quicker process by now)

I don't know how much is different between the two versions apart from art style, but I think there will be a lot of double dipping going on in Japan

Nice, that's sooner than expected!

Dragon Quest XI PS4 is number one on Amazon already, with the 3DS in 2nd!

I expect the ps4 to swap places with the 3ds shortly.

twintail said:
Intrinsic said:

I dont think you needed this new trailer to tell you any of this.

Technically I did because until this trailer I didn't even know DQ11 was going to be on the 3DS or even the Switch. Then again, DQ is one of those games that I haven't really been able to get behind for some reason. Only played one...... so I haven't been keeping an eye on it.

tbone51 said:
Train wreck said:

Greedy? Going far no?

No, those who want to see the Switch succeed at all costs (like by having a company compromise their game for the sake of keeping the Switch momentuem up for the summer months) are both greedy (not content with two versions of the game available on July 29th) and impatient (not willing to wait for Square Enix to come out with a release date when the switch version is ready).