By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Man violently removed from United Airlines plane. ~Update~ United may have broken the law.

SvennoJ said:
Imaginedvl said:

First of all, no I'm not "acting" in any way... I said multiple time that this is not even the problem here. United may be wrong in the way they overbooked the flight or whatever other reasons they had to remove 4 people from it. But again, that's not even the point...
Second, this has been seen before and explained multiple times, even if you have your own rules about how things are taking prescedence on others, 4 empployees means most likely that they were a crew for another flight resulting in a very bad chain reaction in delays etc for a LOT of people in another airport... I mean, it sucks for the guy but it happens and you coming out with your "lie" accusation will not change it. How do you know that? How do you know better than anyone else the reason United had to abosultly get those 4 employees to the other airport? 

The guy bought a ticket with a contract on it. I mean it sucks; I would HATE to have to -deplane for that too... Like really; I would be pissed.

But no matter what is the reason, at the end when cops are coming and ask you (first peacefully) to de-plane; you de-plane... You just do it and then you can fill a complain, sue the company or whatever... But you listen to the authorities.  

Good for you you don't care about your rights and blindfully listen to authorities, even when they're abused by the airline.

How much is violence worth to you? How far could the airline have gone with offering money to volunteers to deplane? Is $800 dollars already too much and violence is a better solution? Should they have offered $1600 first to find any takers? $5000?

The airline caused their own delay. They could have found nother way to get the employees there or call in other people for work for that day at the other location. They were in the wrong to deplane already boarded people. They created a bad situation and handled it even worse.

Violence is not a solution... There are 2 problems here and you are mixing everything up. If you continue talking about me and your assumption , we can get this conversation to bitch each other and what I think about people filling entitled to everything and not following rules, up to you. But:

1) The dude being removed from a flight for whatever reason (and you can debate this if you want)

2) The dude not complying to airport's authorities... That's not about your "rights" at this points. You can talk and sue for your right after that but yes, if a cop is asking you to de-plane you follow the instruction "blindfully" at first. Or they will remove you, that's a no brainer lol.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Zkuq said:

Are you blind? Any time someone bleeds as the result of someone's actions, that's violence.

Did you watch the vid I commented on? No, you didn't. He didn't look like he was bleeding or anything. 

He linked the video after quoting me because I was specifically asking for the footage so yes, I did watch the video, and yes, he did look like he was bleeding. Either that, or he had very malformed lips, which I seriously doubt. It's not like it's an open wound or anything, but the bleeding is pretty clear.

That man is going to be rich.

Ka-pi96 said:
Imaginedvl said:

Violence is not a solution... There are 2 problems here and you are mixing everything up. If you continue talking about me and your assumption , we can get this conversation to bitch each other and what I think about people filling entitled to everything and not following rules, up to you. But:

1) The dude being removed from a flight for whatever reason (and you can debate this if you want)

2) The dude not complying to airport's authorities... That's not about your "rights" at this points. You can talk and sue for your right after that but yes, if a cop is asking you to de-plane you follow the instruction "blindfully" at first. Or they will remove you, that's a no brainer lol.

Just to clarify on that... are you saying that if an "authority" came up to you told you to do something, you'd just blindly agree and ignore that it went against your rights?

Rules are rules... And part of your rights are to follow them not ignore them whenever you feel like it.
Yes, in an airport (and a plane), when airport authorities or police request you to de-plane, you blindly agree because it is the law and you should be smart enough (the dude was not) to understand that you will get out of the plane no matter what (if you think are wrong or right about the decision does not matter at this time)...

Then after that you can sue, cry, act the way you want and defend your "rights"... But again, that's 2 different things.

hopefully he sues them for millions.

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
SvennoJ said:

Good for you you don't care about your rights and blindfully listen to authorities, even when they're abused by the airline.

How much is violence worth to you? How far could the airline have gone with offering money to volunteers to deplane? Is $800 dollars already too much and violence is a better solution? Should they have offered $1600 first to find any takers? $5000?

The airline caused their own delay. They could have found nother way to get the employees there or call in other people for work for that day at the other location. They were in the wrong to deplane already boarded people. They created a bad situation and handled it even worse.

1) There was no valid reason to remove him after boarding.

2) The airport authorities were abused by the airline in this case. They are there to protect the safety not to make passengers comply with the wishes of the airline. He was in his right to refuse and there was definitely no reason to manhandle him. The authorities can only ask the person nicely in this case. It's not their job to act as the airline's goon squad. They should have simply told the airline there was nothing they could do at this point, find another solution. The problem escalated as the authorities were blindfully following the instructions of the airline. It's not a no brainer, he was in his right to challenge the authorities and the airline in this case. The authorities and the airline were in the wrong for acting the way they did.

Looks like he'll be able to retire soon. GG United.

Stop overbooking flights and always make sure there are emergency seats for United Airlines employees for each flights could have (maybe) prevented this.

They could have also asked another person and increased their offer.

I'm sure if they explained the importance of those employees getting to their destination to the customers, other people would have volunteered. Especially, since the random guy they chose said he needed to get to his destination asap too.

It's just a poorly handled situation.

I don't think people are arguing that you shouldn't follow police officers rules. As long as they have actual good merit. Regardless of "contract". What they did was United's fault. They fucked up and overbooked. They obviously needed those employees on that plane. Because they where late, to something important. Why where they? A million reasons. That's why this is a BS problem. All the issues came from United's side. Not the doctor. Basically, created a way of abuse. What if the employees did this on purpose. Because they where bored. "Let's fuck with someone." Might as well punch the employees.

SvennoJ said:
Imaginedvl said:

1) There was no valid reason to remove him after boarding.

2) The airport authorities were abused by the airline in this case. They are their to protect the safety not to make passengers comply with the wishes of the airline. He was in his right to refuse and there was definitely no reason to manhandle him. The authorities can only ask the person nicely in this case. It's not their job to act as the airline's goon squad. They should have simply told the airline there was nothing they could do at this point, find another solution. The problem escalated as the authorities were blindfully following the instructions of the airline. It's not a no brainer, he was in his right to challenge the authorities and the airline in this case. The authorities and the airline were in the wrong for acting the way they did.

1) Who's deciding that that, you? I mean based on the contract you are attach to when buying a ticket from this airliner; they have the right to remove anyone from the flight based on their own rules. You may disagree or think this sucks and this company is trash... But their rules are their rules on their planes. And while you may start saying the Airline is lying, bullshiting, being evil and blah blah blah... At the end, it is to prove that they effectively can or cannot do that based on the contract you have to follow when you buy the ticket and I really think United has a paragraph for that kind of situation

But now, let's say that United was wrong...

2) What you are saying is basically to be an archist :)

Like ("you" being the dude): you do not like this rule or think that the rule does not exist (because it is about how dumb or unfair the rule is here, you have to realize that) therefor you choose to do not listen to authorities and do whatever the fuck I want, Including delaying not only the fly I'm on with hundred of passengers but also most likely fucking up other flight those 4 employees (crew) are need for. Sorry but I will never agree this is the right thing to do in a society.

There are just right ways to do things. Forcively resisting the authorities when they are trying to get you out of a plane... Is not one of them :)
Suing United after being de-plane and proving they were wrong, is the right way to do it.