By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228

It is indeed a great launch for Horizon, but all factors taken into consideration, Zelda will perform better in the long run. It all rests on Switch's success.

Around the Network

Horizon is going to be one of the top franchises for Playstation in the future! Of course it is big! :)

HZD came out before Botw and on a system with 50+ million systems vs launch of a new system.

spurgeonryan said:
Over 30 million Ps4 sold versus maybe 1-2 million switches.

Shocking!

i think you mean 55 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's not all that surprising:

1. It had the disadvantage of being a launch title that is available on another platform at the same time.

2. Despite have an extremely high attach rate, I believe the Switch sold out at around 2 million .

3. PlayStation having a large userbase isn't really a factor, but it kind of cancels out the new hardware launch
factor along with #1.

4. Speaking of #1, there are a lot who are waiting for the Cemu to either buy the game or pirate the ISO. One of
the main reasons the Cemu paetreon is getting such high "donations".

5. Horizon is actually a great game (Personally I don't think its for me, but watching my friend play it for a bit I feel
I can say its a good game.)

6. BotW is completely outshined by the most realistic looking and feeling game on the Switch, 1-2 Switch.

EDIT

7. And I guess Horizon came out earlier than BotW.

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Is it really that surprising considering it's an installbase of 55m vs. 15m (13 coming from a dead system). Zelda will most likely out leg it.

You are right  but it could be argued that you are talking about an untested New IP and 55 mill means more Games so more competion against a Franchise that is legendary  with a 97 rating and was allways going to have a superb sales ratio in regards to hardware sales.

Some valid points but I'm trying to think of an adoption inhibitor greater than the supply shortage that hit the Switch early on and I'm coming up short. I'm going to guess not many people are going to buy a game for a platform they don't, or more appropriately, can't own yet...

What other titles released for the PS4 around the time of Horizon's release?

It is impressive.

Zelda had a limited user base, but the attach rate is insane, and it's one of those big name/big sales series.

Horizon has a huge user base, but has tons of competition, especially for a new IP. Hitting 1m sales is considered pretty good for such a game on its platform.

yep

John2290 said:
Nice to see that with that poll some people are looking at breath of the wild as it really is in retrospect. HZD is so much better and much more innovative than BOW, My mate deleted my account of 20 or so hours so he can start his game (Thanks for that Nintendo) and I was a bit upset for a while until I realized I had played over 20 hours and I'm still dragging my way through it, good game, better than skyward sword for sure but it's no where near the hyperbole and 100% scores.

It's Nintendo's fault your friend deleted your account?

BOTW was in a weird situation where it came out on both a practically brand new console, and a completely dead console, with a decent chunk of people who still used their Wii U moving on to the Switch (not everyone obviously, there are users here who bought the Wii U version after all.)

Compounded with the fact that Switches sold out pretty quickly, it's no surprise that Horizon would sell better, due to its much more favorable position.

Regardless, both games did pretty well.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."