By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228
SegataSanshiro said:
HZD came out before Botw and on a system with 50+ million systems vs launch of a new system.                                      

Horizon is a new unproven IP, and it came out 3 days before Zelda. 

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
All these comments about comparing BotW with it's small base vs Horizon's larger one makes me wonder more so, How does BotW compare to Twilight Princess's FW sales?

hmmm if i remember correctly there is a website that tracks weekly hardware/software sales for video games.........i cant recall the name though

its hard to do a direct comparison since Wii had a staggered launch along with the Gamecube version releasing later but here are the sales of the Wii version by region compared to Switch version.

Region Twilight Princess Breath of the Wild
United States 368k 437k
Europe 202k 374k
Japan 146k 188k

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's not realy shocking, maybe in the longrun zelda will end up outselling horizon.

zorg1000 said:
Cloudman said:
All these comments about comparing BotW with it's small base vs Horizon's larger one makes me wonder more so, How does BotW compare to Twilight Princess's FW sales?

hmmm if i remember correctly there is a website that tracks weekly hardware/software sales for video games.........i cant recall the name though

its hard to do a direct comparison since Wii had a staggered launch along with the Gamecube version releasing later but here are the sales of the Wii version by region compared to Switch version.

Region Twilight Princess Breath of the Wild
United States 368k 437k
Europe 202k 374k
Japan 146k 188k

Yeah, I can't either... It's on the tip of my tongue too... (I didn't know it had FW sales data too, haha...)

Thanks for the info. It looks like it did better by a some amount.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Doesn't matter, Zelda will sell better long term.

Around the Network

Those "first week" numbers are only two days worth for botW versus a whole week for horizon. Two days and Zelda almost outsold it.

So no, Horizon did not outsell zelda.

Both games deserve the success though.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I was planning on making a thread of my own about this, but instead Ill just leave the comment here :D

I was amazed by how gerrilla went from a dark/gray FPS, to HZD. I started paying it and was OK for me. Its gameplay its really good. Walking here, there, getting stomped by a giant machine suddenly, etc... But I felt I was playing just for the gameplay only, but damn... I stopped grinding and started going forward in story, and damn, it surprised me how they grabbed my attention, since I didnt expect a good narrative or story at all, just dominating machines and stuff.

EDIT: Oh and regarding zelda, I have it, put it just to know it was working, and went back to HZD. I dont want to overlap games this good.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

A new game on a 55m sold console sold better than one on a new console and that just released and is out of stock almost everywhere (where most of Zelda's sales will likely be) and a dead console that barely sold 13m? 

Shocking.

RolStoppable said:

Maybe? Maybe?!

Sounds like you want me to stop watching Supergirl's season 2.

Oh sorry Rol I wasn't aware that you were watching SG season 2, in that case zelda will outsell horizon for sure.

Keep watching

Otter said:
Its less to do with Zelda and more to do with how Horizon outdone expectation. It has done in one month what most playstation IPs (Killzone, Infamous, Resistance, Ratchet etc) struggled to do LT back on the PS3's huge userbase.

Pretty much.