By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228

Hmm..while Zelda is a bigger IP, I don't think the install base can really be ignored either. The Switch seems to be selling as fast as it's produced currently, and the Wii U is..the Wii U. Personally I'm more interested in LTD sales, though obviously we won't know that for sure for a while.

Still solid sales for both definitely.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Those "first week" numbers are only two days worth for botW versus a whole week for horizon. Two days and Zelda almost outsold it.

So no, Horizon did not outsell zelda.

Both games deserve the success though.

Yeah, people are talking about userbase but i think the main factor here is that horizon released 5 days before zelda and it got a full week of sales while zelda got 2 days.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Wasn't the Switch sold out after 2 days anyway? lol

I don't think 5 days would have made much of a difference in this case.

Super_Boom said:
Hmm..while Zelda is a bigger IP, I don't think the install base can really be ignored either. The Switch seems to be selling as fast as it's produced currently, and the Wii U is..the Wii U. Personally I'm more interested in LTD sales, though obviously we won't know that for sure for a while.

Still solid sales for both definitely.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages ,some come from the same source like new console equals - negative  a limit to the number of sales to be had - positive no  real competion for those sales.

We should look at sales in general rather than specific titles and how they average out during the life of a console because you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Considering relative install base, this should not be a surprise.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Well the switch is out of stock and I doubt most people will buy it on the wiiU instead of it on the Switch... Not to mention that the switch is supposed to sell 2 million in it's first month.

I suggest waiting for a few months until the stock issues have gone before assuming Horizon will outsell BoTW permanently.

lol i bought the limited edition one. still ahven't got the switch.

Been plaiyng it on Wii U instead

Azuren said:

Color me surprised. I personally enjoyed BotW a lot, but I haven't bothered playing Horizon to find out if one is really better than the other.

Your title and your statement doesnt relate. 

If a game sells better than  the other game it doesn't mean it is better.  

And should you be surprised by how PS4 > Switch + Wii U? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

"Great game outsells another great game".

Lol at all those " its sold on a sold out system thats why it didn't sell better "

You do know not every switch owner bought the game right?
And that zelda is not a huge franchise.
And that zelda is a long running  franchise vs a new one from a developer who made shooters.

Also  zelda  doesn't  have any competition  in the  next couple of months (  ports dont count)

Hzd has many!

Give hzd and its developers more respect.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Hynad said:
SegataSanshiro said:
HZD came out before Botw and on a system with 50+ million systems vs launch of a new system.                                      

Horizon is a new unproven IP, and it came out 3 days before Zelda. 

Unproven new IP from Sony's Hype machine. it was going to sell no matter what.