By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony make a mistake by be first to release an upgraded console.

setsunatenshi said:
The wrong move would be to artificially delay the pro just to specmatch the scorpio.

As we sit, by the time the scorpio is out, the pro will be out for a year. The gen is hitting 4 years and the ps5 is ever so close.

That's where the real jump should happen. And the new console should be able to have its exclusives without being dragged down by the ps4.

The Scorpio will force a price cut on the Pro prematurely. PS5 isnt dropping until 2019 or 2020. Hardware is meaningless in the grand spectrum of things. You'll see that its only a *bleep* measuring contest for Microsoft. The only thing that makes Sony look stupid, is thinking the pro could ever stop hardcore gamers from jumping ship to PC with the specs of the pro. This gave Microsoft the chance they needed to win a petty battle, but find they are far from winning the war.

Around the Network

Best decision ever. If needs be the Pro will be sold this holiday for $299. They have the cheaper 4k console, the best games line up and worldwide demand. They can't lose.

I'm predicting it will be $100 cheaper than the scorpio but $150/200 cheaper is possible. Even if it's "only" $100 cheaper scorpio has zero chance of winning. Hence why I think it was a great decision getting it out early.

If the ps5 releases in 2020 that will be 4 year gap since the Pro. And that's sufficient. But for Xbox unless they delay it to 2021 it will be only 3 years. Not enough of a gap.

I don't think its a mistake I would say they made a mistake not including a bit more RAM and personally if the Scorpio was a Sony Console and Microsoft released the PS4 Pro (with the consoles playing the games from the company that made them) I would have deff stayed with sony as a main console.

Anyway, they got a year ahead and they managed to give a ton of value for people who didn't pick up a ps4 yet and also catering to their hardcore fans, which sony has way more of then microsoft.

Not just that they also have a good reason to release the PS5 earlier then the next xbox console and they proberbly will have the better deal price-wise for the rest of the generation.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Not really. Upgraded hardware wasn't needed next gen. Sony put their efforts instead into exclusives which is paying off pretty damn well right now. Meanwhile the xbox will soon have a new super powerful box with no first parties.

Premium models aren't movers and shakers. They're just a premium option.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

We'll see once the Scorpio releases.

by the time they wait until Scorpio revealed then start to upgrade, might as well make a PS5 instead of Pro

Kyuu said:
No. Price and specs were perfectly timed. If PS4 Pro fails, then that just means most consumers aren't into mid-gen upgrade as a whole concept.

If Sony made the Pro more powerful and released it 6-12 months after the Scorpio, it would have been too close to the PS5 and more of a late-gen upgrade. The gap between current and next gen Playstation would be too small.

Scropio's absurd power upgrade over the original X1 was an overkill for a mid-gen upgrade. It indicates that Microsoft will no longer produce traditional consoles. They're turning Xbox into a closed PC of sorts.

Exactly. Microsoft is in the midst of a contradiction, whilst trying to give everyone "options". They are spreading themselves thin trying to be everything to everyone. In the end, they are just creating a vessel with an eco system second to their competition wherever you look. On PC they are second and on consoles they are second (and if the Switch does well third).

Why doesn't MS just build in HaloGearsForza and forget about media or other games since that's all they do anyway.

monocle_layton said:
Nope.

Think about it. Since the Pro is old enough, they can make a $299 Pro slim or whatever and say, "hey, our console is only slightly weaker and $100+ cheaper".

People who see a $499 and $300-350 console will probably go for the cheaper

That same argument could be made when the PS5 launches. Scropio will be a very capable box that's cheaper and it will share games with the next Xbox.

PS4 Pro specs upgrade just wasn't big enough. They should have made a better upgrade for $499. It would have been more capable, more desired, and the average user on budget would have bought a PS4 Slim anyway.

Sony hasn't made many mistakes this gen, but PS4 Pro underdelivered.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)