By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Now That The Scorpio Specs Are Revealed How Long Til PS5 "Leaks?"

When Will We Get PS5 Leaks?

Shortly Before The Scorpio Launches 45 10.07%

Shortly After The Scorpio Luanches (2017) 13 2.91%

Early-Mid 2018 83 18.57%

Late 2018 163 36.47%

PS5 Isn't Launching Til 2021 143 31.99%

Total:447

I feel like this gen is so obsessed with specs and mid-gen upgrades that it has forgotten the important thing. Games.
The ps4 library only really started getting good late last and early this year. Before that we had some bright spots in Bloodborne and Witcher 3, but it had been a pretty unremarkable gen geameswise. Now, lets give these console some breathing room. Let the really good games flow in.

Yeah, I'm sayin I hope we don't see a Ps4 successor until holydays 2020.

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
I'd say it'll be announced mid-late 2019, release holiday 2020. Sony aren't in a position where they have to react to Microsoft releasing the Scorpio.

Well, they will react, but it'll only be with a Pro price cut.  Though, I guess that would have happened this year, anyway.  As far as the PS5 goes, I agree they won't have to react, now.  Leaks will just happen as they normally do.

celador said:
there is no reason to rush it, I would be fine waiting until holiday 2020

they have a massive install base already, loads of big exclusives on the way and they are not going to panic because they won't have the most powerful console for a few years

I don't think releasing the PS5 6 years after the PS4 is exactly panicing.  That's just more in line with other gens. 

thismeintiel said:

Well, they will react, but it'll only be with a Pro price cut.  Though, I guess that would have happened this year, anyway.  As far as the PS5 goes, I agree they won't have to react, now.  Leaks will just happen as they normally do.

Was likely to happen whether or not Scorpio released this year. 

thismeintiel said:

As for power, I also expect the PS5 to utilize the new Ryzen and Vega chips.  The PS4 uses a Jaguar CPU and a pared-down 7870 GPU.  The Jaguar launched the year the PS4 did, while the 7870 launched 2 years before it.  The Vega 10 launches this year, which would also be 2 years before the PS5.  And at 12.5 Tflops, probably 11-12 Tflops in the PS5 if it too is pared-down, that would be 6x-6.5x more powerful than an OG PS4, which is a good leap for next gen.  The Ryen 1700 is a significant upgrade over the Jaguar, where the Jaguar was not that big a leap over its predecessor, the Bobcat, in comparison.

The PS4 had a GPU based more or less off the Pitcairn chip because it fit its power constraints - that is, around 125W. The PS5 won't include a 250W GPU as the Vega 10 chip is going to be. In fact, it seems the Scorpio is quite strechting it as far as 14/16 nm GPUs and their power consumption are concerned. It is going to be as huge and demanding as the original PS3 or X360 SKUs, or more.

It is almost out of question it uses the same manufacturing architecture as the Scorpio if it is going to be more powerful. Yeah, it could have a better CPU and a newer GPU architecture, but that wouldn't make it too different to the Scorpio, it would be like X360 and PS3 all over again. So, it would need at least one die shrink that has been tested and proven on the market to significantly (33% to 100%) improve on what the Scorpio offers on graphics. Maybe one will be ready by the end of 2019. Maybe it won't.

Hopefully no time soon... i dont wanna hear any leaks about a PS5 until at least 2019.

Around the Network

2019 is the most early release I could imagine for Playstation 5. But it's most likely going to be 2020.

SuperNova said:

I feel like this gen is so obsessed with specs and mid-gen upgrades that it has forgotten the important thing. Games.
The ps4 library only really started getting good late last and early this year. Before that we had some bright spots in Bloodborne and Witcher 3, but it had been a pretty unremarkable gen geameswise. Now, lets give these console some breathing room. Let the really good games flow in.

Yeah, I'm sayin I hope we don't see a Ps4 successor until holydays 2020.

My thoughts exactly, we are finally starting to get great games left and right and people are already thinking (and maybe wishing?) for a next gen leak... come on! lets get at least 3 more years of great games (the rest of 2017, 2018 and 2019) before we start getting any leaks of next gen hardware...

Also the Pro and Scorpio are called MID-GEN upgrades for a reason, enfasis on MID... so lets hope we have another 3 to 4 years left of this gen because so far while we have gotten some great games already, it is NOWHERE NEAR close to the output of games of last gen, like take Naughty Dog for example they put out Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and TLOU in ONE generation and right now they just somewhat recently put out their first game this gen and just recently announced their second game, same goes for From Software and many other studios who havent even put out half the amount of games they put out last gen this gen.

at least 2 years.... i think ps4 is something for +2020

I think we will hear rumours about new PlayStation hardware this year, but it won't be PS5. More likely to see PS4 Phone, PS4 Handheld, and a PS4 Premium before PS5 arrives around 2022 - 2024.

Even if Sony does decide to go with the PS5 branding at 7nm, I don't see it happening until 2020 if they stick with AMD. They will want to use a Navi based GPU at a minimum, Vega is not going to be a good foundation for a whole new generation.

Personally, I still hope both Sony and Microsoft stick to the current hardware revisions for one more round. A system with a 3GHz CPU, and a 10 - 12TFLOP GPU, with 16GB of RAM would be perfect with the current architecture at 7nm. Let next gen be a huge leap.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Yea I don't see anything happening before 2020 at the earliest but the question is, what CPU will it have? Lets see if we can theorize some of this...

So the ps4 launched with jaguar cores back in 2013. If we assume the ps5 will launch in 2020, lets how the jaguar CPUs perform against the high end AMD cpus from 3 years prior to 2013.

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as PC jaguar cores go, all I could find are the AMD Kambini cores (A6 5200).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kabini-a4-5000-review,3518-2.html

So if we take those and benchmark against say, the AMD phenom series which came out in 2009, here are the benchmarks:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1055T-vs-AMD-A6-5200-APU/2003vsm4574

So more or less, the 2ghz Jaguar cores lose pretty handly to the AMD phenom 2 CPUs and the CPU isn't even the best phenom 2 u could get. The issue with this benchmark however is that A6 5200 is only a quad core while the one inside the ps4 is an 8 core.

However, I would keep my expectations in check before assuming the ps5 or the xbox 2 will have a Ryzen 1700 inside it... I will wait for some more AMD CPUs to come out before figuring out which ones the ps5/x2 will have.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850