By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch #Bendgate!! Yup!

PAOerfulone said:
Mine looks perfectly straight. And it has never felt too hot. So I can't say that I've experienced any problems.

this.

Around the Network

I never saw a system with so many small hardware problems.
Yes, each one are pretty rare, but there is so many different ones that the chances you get at least one are pretty high.

I'll wait for a new model.

Nuvendil said:

Switch has active cooling in and out of the dock and at it's highest recorded temperatures is 49 C. 

And what were the Ambient temps? I am sure you understand the laws of Thermodynamics right?

If you throw the switch into a 50'C summer Australian day... You can bet your ass it will be running at temps higher than 49'C.  You could be looking at 70-80'C.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

maxleresistant said:
I never saw a system with so many small hardware problems.
Yes, each one are pretty rare, but there is so many different ones that the chances you get at least one are pretty high.

I'll wait for a new model.

I had a dead speaker on the initial release 3DS I pre-ordered. One of the feet fell off making for two defects on a launch day console. 

That surprised me as I had no history of having any problems with Nintendo hardware dating back Nintendo's Game and Watch series. 

Nuvendil said:

Switch has active cooling in and out of the dock and at it's highest recorded temperatures is 49 C.  The system does not get hot enough to distort the system in this way.  Especially since the Switch has a metal internal frame as well as it's blastic shell. 

Edit: and this being supposedly from docked-mode only users makes me think this was probably a manufacturing issue where it was bent from the word go but since they immediately docked it, perhaps didn't notice it and only noticed it later upon closer inspection and assumed the heat had distorted it.  It *is* a mild enough bend where I could see someone in a hurry to setup missing it and only seeing it much later.

Not entirely impossible, but somehow I doubt that Nintendo QA standards are so low that they would ship bent consoles under the assumption that no one would notice. 

If it is an operating temp issue, warped plastic casings would be a secondary problem to overheating internals. If we start seeing failed CPU/GPU in bricked consoles, we'll have the answer. 

Around the Network

wow this seems widespread..... going by reviewtechusa..... 4 people... really? out of how a million or so? non issue.

FunFan said:

Aparently the Switch is overheating and bending. Or so are a few folks starting to claim. I wonder how widespread is this particular problem if any. Have yours bent yet? Check it.

That isn't true, true is that few Switch units right out of box seem little bend.

Switch doesn't doesn't overheat also, we had Eurogamer runed tests.

I it occurs, it might not even be a problem for many people. You will always have failure rates but first someone should check if this is a legitimate story, and after that try to identify the extent of the issue.

FunFan said:
RolStoppable said:

Reading through the entire article and all the comments, it seems that it doesn't matter whether the system was used in docked or portable mode, nor does playtime seem to be much of a factor. That makes it likely that the systems in question weren't perfectly straight out of the box to begin with.

Yes. Maybe they sat on it. I'm not trying to make the Switch look bad, I swear. But this could be the begining of a huge problem, or not. The 360 didn't started dying until a few months had passed. Still, did you looked at your switch?

Just huge difference is in fact that Switch doesn't have any heat issues while Xbox360 had huge heat issues (if I recall OG Xbox hadtemperatures over 80C), we had Eurogamer runed tests and we around 50c max for Switch and that is perfectly fine.

Pemalite said:
Nuvendil said:

Switch has active cooling in and out of the dock and at it's highest recorded temperatures is 49 C. 

And what were the Ambient temps? I am sure you understand the laws of Thermodynamics right? 

If you throw the switch into a 50'C summer Australian day... You can bet your ass it will be running at temps higher than 49'C.  You could be looking at 70-80'C.

Of Course they are ambient temperatures, not Russian winter day or "Australian summer day", and max temperature of around 50C for ambient temperature is perfectly fine.

Maybe those guys with bent units live in super hot places?
Like in Austrailia someplaces they have like 45-50 degree's celcius (upto 122 degrees Fahrenheit).

If you live in a place like that, and play with your switch outsides in the sun, or at home without air conditioning... maybe?