By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch #Bendgate!! Yup!

Pemalite said:
Nuvendil said:

Switch has active cooling in and out of the dock and at it's highest recorded temperatures is 49 C. 

And what were the Ambient temps? I am sure you understand the laws of Thermodynamics right?

If you throw the switch into a 50'C summer Australian day... You can bet your ass it will be running at temps higher than 49'C.  You could be looking at 70-80'C.

First off, those temperatures are impossible to hit for any long period as the Tegra X1 has a built in throttling function that kicks in at 75 C.  That's precisely why Nintendo downclocked, so the system wouldn't have wobbling performance.  Second, if it was getting that hot for extended periods you would see a ton more problems well before it warped your system.  I had a laptop with a failed fan that ran at 70 C almost constantly and bounced to 80 C and you could feel the heat coming off that thing.  I kept it going for almost a year and a lot of issues cropped up internally but the shell never showed any signs of distortion.  If the system was getting hot enough to warp the structure, it would likely die before you noticed that.  And lastly, if the system was running 70 C in dock and close to that in handheld, you would sure as crap feel that when you held it.  With as small as it is, the surface temps would be ~60 C.  That's literally hot enough to physically BURN YOUR HAND.  And prolongued exposure to even 55 C would no doubt be uncomfortable and highly noticeable.  So no, the people reporting this who use it almost entirely in handheld, no, no it could not have resulted from the system running close to 70 C.  They downclocked to specifically avoid this.  It has a fan tied to heat sensors to avoid this.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Pemalite said:

And what were the Ambient temps? I am sure you understand the laws of Thermodynamics right?

If you throw the switch into a 50'C summer Australian day... You can bet your ass it will be running at temps higher than 49'C.  You could be looking at 70-80'C.

First off, those temperatures are impossible to hit for any long period as the Tegra X1 has a built in throttling function that kicks in at 75 C.  That's precisely why Nintendo downclocked, so the system wouldn't have wobbling performance.  Second, if it was getting that hot for extended periods you would see a ton more problems well before it warped your system.  I had a laptop with a failed fan that ran at 70 C almost constantly and bounced to 80 C and you could feel the heat coming off that thing.  I kept it going for almost a year and a lot of issues cropped up internally but the shell never showed any signs of distortion.  If the system was getting hot enough to warp the structure, it would likely die before you noticed that.  And lastly, if the system was running 70 C in dock and close to that in handheld, you would sure as crap feel that when you held it.  With as small as it is, the surface temps would be ~60 C.  That's literally hot enough to physically BURN YOUR HAND.  And prolongued exposure to even 55 C would no doubt be uncomfortable and highly noticeable.  So no, the people reporting this who use it almost entirely in handheld, no, no it could not have resulted from the system running close to 70 C.  They downclocked to specifically avoid this.  It has a fan tied to heat sensors to avoid this.

What happens if the sensors malfunction?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
Nuvendil said:

What happens if the sensors malfunction?

If the fan didn't run then yes, you would have heat issues.  But before any distortion happened you would see pronounced performance issues, markedly reduced battery life, and again you would feel it.  Human skin burns well under 60 C.  And with temps on the Switch surface being 10 to 12 lower than the internals near the chip, 60 C would be where it would be at if you were running in the 70 to 73 C range.  You would feel it, it would hurt, specifically it would harm your right hand  w hile playing in handheld mode.  You wouldn't be clueless that it was happening to such a degree that you only caught it because you held a straight edge to the back of your unit :P

*posts pic of Bender Bending Rodriguez*

Use your imagination.

All good on my end, and I have been playing Zelda everyday. That is all I can say on the matter.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Nuvendil said:

Switch has active cooling in and out of the dock and at it's highest recorded temperatures is 49 C. 

Not sure that's how that works. If the Switch is running at 49 C and its environment is 50 C, considering how massive our environment is relative to the Switch, the max the Switch can reach is 50 C. Heat transfer from the higher 50 C environment to the cooler 49 C Switch will result in a temperature somewhere in between. If you want the Switch to reach 70 to 80 C, it either has to reach it on its own internally or the environment needs to reach 70 to 80 C.

It's evolving into a DS.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Looks weird but to me the whole picture is somewhat off in perspective and had me see the tablet being bent as well (at the bottom). Exaggerated the tablet looks like this:

v

^

based on the cover's panels

instead of looking like this:

=

That's why I'm never one of the early adopters. Give it a year and buy it. It will be cheaper, problem-free and full of games.

straight - curved I like it all.

Switch!!!