By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch #Bendgate!! Yup!

Aparently the Switch is overheating and bending(?). Or so are a few folks starting to claim. I wonder how widespread is this particular problem, if at all. Have yours bent yet? Check it.

Source.

Update: Looking closer at the picture the system seems to be warping around the vent, maybe a bit to the right which is also around the area where the main chip is. The other side seems to be fine, but thats where the battery is.

Here is ReviewTechUSA disscussing the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaeDxVeVZMs

Disclamer: I never said this is happening 100%. I'm just doing a public service, passing on the rumors forward to warn people of posible problems. It's all out of the goodness of my heart. >:)

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

Mine looks perfectly straight. And it has never felt too hot. So I can't say that I've experienced any problems.

RolStoppable said:
The problem with this would be what? Is it expected to bend to a point where it doesn't fit into the dock anymore? Or expected to melt eventually?

The 360 red ring of death happened because the motherboard bent due to heat, and desoldered the GPU.

But at this point the problem, for the Switch, is only aesthetics.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Mine and my Girlfriend's daughters Switch's are looking perfectly fine. Although I haven't really played mine that much tbh. But the GF'S daughter has been on it like a car bonnet 😀

Just checked mine. No bend thankfully but I'll be keeping an eye on it, definitely. The first sign of it and Nintendo will be covering it, rest assured.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
FunFan said:

The 360 red ring of death happened because the motherboard bent due to heat, and desoldered the GPU.

At this point the problem, for the Switch, is only aesthetics.

Reading through the entire article and all the comments, it seems that it doesn't matter whether the system was used in docked or portable mode, nor does playtime seem to be much of a factor. That makes it likely that the systems in question weren't perfectly straight out of the box to begin with.

Yes. Maybe they sat on it. I'm not trying to make the Switch look bad, I swear. But this could be the begining of a huge problem, or not. The 360 didn't started dying until a few months had passed. Still, did you looked at your switch?

Aren't curved screens better, or was that last year. Can't keep up.
Nope still hot: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_orders_70_million_curved_oled_panels_from_samsung_for_iphone_8-news-24349.php
That Switch is just trying to be trendy.

RolStoppable said:
FunFan said:

Yes. Maybe they sat on it. I'm not trying to make the Switch look bad, I swear. But this could be the begining of a huge problem, or not. The 360 didn't started dying until a few months had passed. Still, did you looked at your switch?

I cannot tell with 100% certainty if my Switch is perfectly straight or very slightly bent. Additionally, I don't know if this possible slight bend was already there when I unboxed my system.

What I do know is that I used my Switch at least several hours on a daily basis for over three weeks, with weekend sessions that lasted 8-10 hours, short break to eat and then back on for another few hours. I've also played pretty much exclusively Zelda which pushes the system hard. If there was a cooling problem, I should have noticed something.

I don't rule out that a batch of launch units has problems (after all, some Joy-Cons are apparently worse than others), but I doubt that this is a widespread issue.

Well, who knows what kind of stuff you do to your switch...

Anyway, the problem could easily be a faulty fan or problem with the thermal paste, not nessesarily a design issue. This would affect only a few people.. Still too early to call.

Saw this news earlier, does also seem to be a rare case

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Lets see if this goes anywhere. I was looking at it and I don't get how it can bend like that. The switch doesn't exactly get that hot even in docked mode. Then again, I do live in Canada where its mostly cold...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850