By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch #Bendgate!! Yup!

RolStoppable said:
FunFan said:

Yes. Maybe they sat on it. I'm not trying to make the Switch look bad, I swear. But this could be the begining of a huge problem, or not. The 360 didn't started dying until a few months had passed. Still, did you looked at your switch?

I cannot tell with 100% certainty if my Switch is perfectly straight or very slightly bent. Additionally, I don't know if this possible slight bend was already there when I unboxed my system.

What I do know is that I used my Switch at least several hours on a daily basis for over three weeks, with weekend sessions that lasted 8-10 hours, short break to eat and then back on for another few hours. I've also played pretty much exclusively Zelda which pushes the system hard. If there was a cooling problem, I should have noticed something.

I don't rule out that a batch of launch units has problems (after all, some Joy-Cons are apparently worse than others), but I doubt that this is a widespread issue.

Check with a ruler.

Around the Network

He Probably had it stuffed in his pocket thats why its bending

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

We know the max temperatures of the Switch. It does not get hot enough to cause this kind of bend. This unit was either defective out of the gate (my personal bet) and the guy didn't catch it or it was bent through misuse (put it in his jeans pocket or something)

RolStoppable said:
KLAMarine said:

Check with a ruler.

I did, but that gave me only 99% certainty that the console is perfectly straight. Maybe it's only paranoia on my part.

Make sure the ruler is straight too. Check it with another ruler.

RolStoppable said:
KLAMarine said:

Okay, will do. Will also watch a longplay of Castlevania 2 while I am at it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
KLAMarine said:

Also put it on a straight surface and blow at it from the side. Check if you feel any air comming the other side.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
RolStoppable said:

Also put it on a straight surface and blow at it from the side. Check if you feel any air comming the other side.

I think it better to use a flashlight...

No, just cut up a strip of paper and see if it can be slipped through.

If anyone sees a bend in theirs they should consult Nintendo or a Dr

Rich from RTUSA stated that it was specifically consoles that were used almost exclusively in dock mode, which is the mode that draws more power and presumably runs at higher clock speeds and higher temps.

Could be the polymer used to manufacture the cases or insufficient cooling (dock doesn't have active cooling?), which in the case of the Switch may be a simple matter of lack of air circulation for passive cooling when cradled inside the dock.

Hard to say only a month after launch. Could be a rate of manufacturing failure within expected tolerances for a major product roll out (2 million sold?).

But, was willing to chalk the initial Galaxy Note 7 fires up to rare instances of catastrophic failure, but that turned out to be a full blown manufacturing defect.

If increasing reports of warping consoles continue to roll in, then who knows? Until then, the story is ongoing.

greenmedic88 said:
Rich from RTUSA stated that it was specifically consoles that were used almost exclusively in dock mode, which is the mode that draws more power and presumably runs at higher clock speeds and higher temps.

Could be the polymer used to manufacture the cases or insufficient cooling (dock doesn't have active cooling?), which in the case of the Switch may be a simple matter of lack of air circulation for passive cooling when cradled inside the dock.

Hard to say only a month after launch. Could be a rate of manufacturing failure within expected tolerances for a major product roll out (2 million sold?).

But, was willing to chalk the initial Galaxy Note 7 fires up to rare instances of catastrophic failure, but that turned out to be a full blown manufacturing defect.

If increasing reports of warping consoles continue to roll in, then who knows? Until then, the story is ongoing.

Switch has active cooling in and out of the dock and at it's highest recorded temperatures is 49 C.  The system does not get hot enough to distort the system in this way.  Especially since the Switch has a metal internal frame as well as it's blastic shell. 

Edit: and this being supposedly from docked-mode only users makes me think this was probably a manufacturing issue where it was bent from the word go but since they immediately docked it, perhaps didn't notice it and only noticed it later upon closer inspection and assumed the heat had distorted it.  It *is* a mild enough bend where I could see someone in a hurry to setup missing it and only seeing it much later.