By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I need your advice: I love a girl but she doesn't play video games

This question has been a thorn in my side all my life; Do you make a long term relationship with someone who is not into the same video games as you?

Google consenus says that shared hobbies are not important compared to compatability. I agree. Compatability is the most important thing. Compatability is things like love language.. do you both express and want to receive love in the same ways (touching, gifts, service, affirmation, quality time).

How you act (naturally, giddy, happy, googly, share upsets),

what you say (inclusion in a positive future, meaningful compliments, honest "i love you"s, opening up, comfortable correcting missunderstandings, value opinion),

and what you do (listen, nod respond thoughfully; there for good times and bad, do nice things without having to ask, seek to be near when possible, allow for space when needed, understand where each is coming from, want the best and support the individual pursuits)

This all determines if you are in love by wiki how definition. But what about the fact that you want to play Red Dead Redemption 2 when it comes out, or Breath of the Wild now, or what ever your faves may be. This is very tough for me to admit and say the words "I love you". I want to fall in love with some that shares the controller with me because she wants to play as much as I do.

There are other healthier interests we share like nature, spirituality, fine cooking, movies, rubbing! I'm going to see if she'll play sports with me because that's a good replacement for video games imo. Tennis, Basketball, and anything we can "play" together, would give me a similar rush.

I'm going to talk with her about this tonight. I thought I would run it by you all first, since you must have experienced this same situation, or very least, wondered it yourself. 

Update* I realize I need more bros. Told her "I love you". Thank you for the replies, you all helped me see this from other perspectives. But if I find a unicorn I'm lassoing that girl. 

Around the Network

You seem to share a good amount of interests already. I wouldn't.

If you do, start slow. Telltale games are the gateway drug for females, I've discovered.

ironmanDX said:
You seem to share a good amount of interests already. I wouldn't.

If you do, start slow. Telltale games are the gateway drug for females, I've discovered.

yeah story based games and games where you can't really lose are great for non-gamers, esepcially since he says she's into movies so she should appreciate the cinematic qualities of games like that, Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, etc.

I am Iron Man

As long as she respects that video games is one of your me time leisure activities I don't see it being a problem. Indeed I don't even think you need to talk about it. It will be pretty clear pretty soon if she disrespects this aspect of your life. It's then up to you to decide if that's a deal breaker or if you are willing to sacrifice video games for something bigger and better.

Personally I'd give up video games in a heart beat if I really love her.

There is no harm in saying to yourself "If I love her I will do (or not do) X".
What is harmful is for one of you to say "If you love me you will do (or not do, or let me do) X".
Put conditions on yourself, don't put conditions on her.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Well, I've been single my whole life, so I guess that I'm not very good authority, but I'd say that if your relationship offs otherwise fine, rust it's not worth breaking up the relationship over that. Maybe you can try to ease her into video games, but if you maybe you can have that as your "alone time" activity (I think I read somewhere that if each one of you two have a hobby that you can enjoy on your own, it may help so that you don't have to constantly attend to each other).

Around the Network

Ew, noobs.

I will just stick to seeing if she would like to play "real life" tennis (etc) and not video games, as a positive way to get us to "play". That's all I'm looking for, is someone to play with, doesn't have to be a video game.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's helping me see this from outside my head.

I don't see any negatives and I think it would be optimal to have a life mate that liked open world adventures, but there's no way i'm going to try to change who she is or what she likes. Just gonna find common ground. I'm worried though that I would be more in love with someone that did like playing my favorite games.

Ive been in this exact same situation and in the end it didnt make much difference, plus you make it sound like you share a lot of things that not sharing this particular hobby shouldnt matter that much.

Aw man. I hoped for a new Nintation180 thread.

Hunting Season is done...

That's a hard question to answer. I'd say the healthiest relationships have a good balance between having different and similar interests. If gaming is that important to you and you have little else in common, it could become a problem. There's usually far more important aspects to a relationship though, so I wouldn't be too bothered about it.

My girlfriend used to play games a little but stopped before she met and went to University, and it's never been a problem. Sure I'd love to enjoy a game with her, and maybe I still will, but I always have my step brother and friends for that.