By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch selling life time? (poll)

40m

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

All models they plan to release? Or just version 1? They have already spoken about using new models.
I think the Switch marks a completely new direction for Nintendo that goes beyond the ~5 year generations.

I expect we'll see a smaller handheld version, and then updates to the hardware, very similar to iPhone/iPad.

I think it will be along the same type of upgrades we have seen before on their handhelds, they will probably revise the hardware's design, maybe adding some memory, OC its internals but it will still be a Nintendo Switch, just like the DSi was part of the DS line and the New 3DS is still a 3DS. But I might be wrong.

As for LT sales... to give a number, I'll say 80-90m

Gaming on:

PC:
Asus Z87-A  |  i7 4770K  |  MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 32 GB DDR3 2133 mhz  |  WD Blue 1TB SSD & WD Blue HDD 1TB

Consoles:
WiiU
Switch (Docked)
PS 3 / 4

Handhelds:
New 3ds XL
Switch (Portable Mode ;P )

I'm going to play it safe and say 50m.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Safiir said:

You also have snipperclips, 1,2 switch, bomberman, snake pass etc. None of which are system sellers. I'm not sure why I even have to explain this. For the software to mean anything regarding the sales of a console it has to be a system seller. Not obscure games that almost noone buys or low-profile third party games.  I'm not saying that a non-system seller game is a bad one, or that it's not a positive to have it on the platform. But in the context of predicting sales the only game currently available is Zelda.

I love that Switch routinely gets crap for launching with only one system seller while XBone and PS4 launched with zero system sellers. 

It's way too early to call. It's selling well, but during launch all consoles say as many units as it has on stock. PS4 first month absolutely destroyed PS2 first month, but it doesn't mean that Sony will sell 300M units. Vita and Wii U had good initial sales.

What we have now is a bunch of PR from Nintendo. We will only know how well it will sell in Q1 2018. Anyway, if I must take and wild guess, I would say that 3DS numbers are a possibility and that 40M is the absolute minimum. It also depends of his lifetime. Does Nintendo plan to realign their console launches with the competitors, launching a new hardware in 2020 and killing the Switch a bit early? Or will they forget Sony/MS timeline and their next device will arrive mid-gen again?

Around the Network
specialk said:
Safiir said:

You also have snipperclips, 1,2 switch, bomberman, snake pass etc. None of which are system sellers. I'm not sure why I even have to explain this. For the software to mean anything regarding the sales of a console it has to be a system seller. Not obscure games that almost noone buys or low-profile third party games.  I'm not saying that a non-system seller game is a bad one, or that it's not a positive to have it on the platform. But in the context of predicting sales the only game currently available is Zelda.

I love that Switch routinely gets crap for launching with only one system seller while XBone and PS4 launched with zero system sellers. 

Yeaaaah I was constantly talking about how ps4 and xbone had amazing games when they launched...

Since you don't seem to follow the discussion it was about Rol's claim that switch has better and more software than 3ds so it will sell more units.

Safiir said:

Yeaaaah I was constantly talking about how ps4 and xbone had amazing games when they launched...

Since you don't seem to follow the discussion it was about Rol's claim that switch has better and more software than 3ds so it will sell more units.

I'm just making the general point that no console launches with a stacked library of games. Including and especially the 3DS

specialk said:
Safiir said:

I'm just making the general point that no console launches with a stacked library of games. Including and especially the 3DS

Of course. And it's why we should wait and see if switch will deliver.

Safiir said:

Of course. And it's why we should wait and see if switch will deliver.

But if we can't make wild speculations where's the fun in that?

On a related note, mark it down! The Switch will sell 750m units!!

Switch mk1/XL (16 million I guess if that's what Nintendo have ordered from Foxconn)
Switch Pocket (14 million) - cost reduced Switch with smaller dimensions and screen without removable controllers or dock
Switch box (7 million) - non portable home console supplied with pro controller
Switch lite (14 million) - budget Switch portable with smaller screen than pocket
New Switch Pocket (14 million) - higher performance model with 1080p screen and with VR visor option.
New Switch XL (9 million) - higher performance 6" 1080p model with dock
New Switch box (4 million) - end of line higher performance home console

That's about 88 million over maybe 4-6 years?

Not a prediction just a sort of very rough guess at a possible model range over the years. I'm still not convinced of Switch's long term success but that's based on my biased lack of interest in buying a Switch I think personally.