By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Critically Acclaimed Movies that You Hate

I don't find myself hating a lot of critically acclaimed films per se, just finding them overrated. Like The Revenant, Interstellar, Moonlight, La La Land etc.

I guess I didn't like Moulin Rouge though. It's cartoonish, bombastic and ridiculous. And for a romance, I thought the chemistry between the leads never convinced me.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Panama said:

You're using a really loose definition of critically acclaimed. Only movie there with true critical acclaim is Terminator 1 and to a lesser extent Iron Man. Because if "critically acclaimed" means averaging 3 to 3.5 star reviews, let me tell ya, i hate 100s of them.

Snow White holds a 98 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Honestly thought he was referring to that crappy new flick with Kristen Stewart lol

Some movies I feel get high review score because that's what critics feel like they should be giving it. I loved Get Out but NOBODY but some troll critic was willing to give it a bad review?

HandofPrometheus said:
Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Lord of the Ring movies
Inside Out
Most Oscar films

I definitly will give ya the other ones, but LOTR.. WAT?? 

I will agree that the Hobbit series was a big let down however.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Star Wars. So much Star Wars.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I don't hate them, but I find Tim Burton's Batman movies to be underwritten, if not outright badly written films with next to no plot and too little explanation or exploration of the character motivations, plus I think Michael Keaton is seriously overrated as 'the Bat-whisperer.' But the Danny Elfman score saves the film. Honestly, I find that Batman Forever works better as a Batman film and as a film in general, even if it's not so good itself.

Also on the Tim Burton subject, I can't understand the appeal of Edward Scizzorhands. If there's one 'acclaimed' movie which I am closer to hating than liking or being indifferent to, that is it. The best Burton movie in my opinion is 1 he didn't even direct, the Nightmare before Christmas.

The first 2 Bryan Singer X-Men films. I don't dislike them, but I find the action scenes to be so boring and the films to be so humorless that I don't understand the praise they get. Nightcraweler attacking the White House is the only decent action scene in either movie. At least X-Men 3 The Last Stand had moments of popcorn fun even if they butchered Phoenix.

Gravity - Bang average movie never got the hype

Cabin in the Woods - It seems that anything you do to spice up the horror genre does really well with critics even if the premise is totally bollocks

Babadook - Again. quite a let down

Most superhero movies with 80+ on rotten - Apart from a very few, they all are just boring now. Sooner or later people will stop going

DarthMetalliCube said:
HandofPrometheus said:
Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Lord of the Ring movies
Inside Out
Most Oscar films

I definitly will give ya the other ones, but LOTR.. WAT?? 

I will agree that the Hobbit series was a big let down however.

I think the Hobbit movies were good, but they stretched it out waaay too much... Having read the book I have no idea how they turned that fairly small novel into three film epics around 2 1/2 hours each.

Inception: I found it to be a load of pretentious bollix. Just one man's opinion of course!