By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Critically Acclaimed Movies that You Hate

Signalstar said:

I love movies. I especially love good movies. Of course quality is subjective. Sometimes movies that critics and even general audiences love I find lacking or downright abysmal.

The Revenant

Gladiator

Donnie Darko

Into the Wild

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Babadook

Just to name a few.

I liked all those movies for various reasons and would rate them highly.  I think one thing to keep in mind with critics is they are immersed in movies and watch them all the time so it creates a distinct cultural lens they view them through.  Never let that affect how I feel, but I would say in general there is an alignment of what is held up a great and what I enjoy, or at the very least don't hate.

I mean, I think Pulp Fiction should have beat Forest Gump for best picture, but I don't hate it.

Around the Network

Mad Max: Fury Road. Most boring movie I've ever seen, but apparently critics liked it.

Looking at the imd top rated movies:

Schindler's list. I've seen much more impactful movies about ww2. Making it b&w doesn't make it better.

The empire strikes back. I just don't like watching it again, bad pacing and no ending.

Forest Gump. All I can remember from it is that I was bored.

Se7en. Don't really hate it, yet why is it so highly rated? Criminal minds had better episodes when the show was still good.

The usual suspects. I found it a very boring movie.

The pianist. Zzzzz.

Nymeria said:
KLXVER said:
Hate is a strong word, but I really didn't see what was so great about Mad Max: Fury Road.

The way the action is shot and constructed puts 99% of films of past twenty years to shame.   Fury Road should be shown to all action film directors as a case study.  Too often these days we have shoddily constructed rapid edited shakey cam garbage to disguise the fact the actor cannot do action or that it isn't that visually interesting or exciting.

Maybe people didn't into the characters and story, but in terms of filming action set pieces Fury Road stands with the elite and makes so many other action films seem pedestrian.

Fury Road is amongst the best action films since the 2000's IMO.  Its just high quality in almost every aspect. You'd think cinematography and art direction shouldn't matter in an action film until you watch Fury Road. Its just mind blowing for me. Sure, the screenplay and writing is shallow, but then again, its an action film. You are there for the spectacle of it, not to bring up existential issues. 

Jpcc86 said:

Fury Road is amongst the best action films since the 2000's IMO.  Its just high quality in almost every aspect. You'd think cinematography and art direction shouldn't matter in an action film until you watch Fury Road. Its just mind blowing for me. Sure, the screenplay and writing is shallow, but then again, its an action film. You are there for the spectacle of it, not to bring up existential issues. 

I've complained for a while how modern action movies fall flat simply becuase have no clue what is going on.  Saving Private Ryan did a great job capturing war with the beach scenes and made sense to shake the handheld camera a bit.  In the following years so many movies masked definiciencies by zooming in and smack the camera like crazy.  I want to see and take in the action, not feel like I have a headache afterward.  Fury Road was basically someone from the 1980s with a 2010s budget going "sit down kids, this is how it is done".

I'd give a mention to John Wick as well given that is made by stunt people so it is a pure action movie as well.

Around the Network

Always found The Departed a chore to sit through.

Lost in translation

I can hardly remember what the movie was even about, only that I found it extremely boring and myself extremely disappointed.

CAPOTE!!! Damn it how I hate that movie! Also OP: The Babadook? Really?! Great movie!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Mr_No said:
The Social Network
The English Patient
Crash
Mystic River

Yes, someone else sat through the pain that was The English Patient! It was so extremely melodramatic, long, and boring. Such a painful endeavor to watch the entire thing.

NintendoPie said:
Jpcc86 said:

Gravity - Fantastic directing, cinematography and editing. I love everything about it visually. I do not dig Sandra Bullock's acting and the screenplay is kinda lame so I cant bring myself to rewatch it again.

Did you see Gravity in theatres? Honestly, for me, seeing Gravity in theatres was an amazing experience. The way the film was shot, edited, and acted really put you into the action and feeling of what Bullock's character was going through... in theatres. It's not as mesmerizing at home, though. People seem to be really divided about Gravity. I've heard people say it was boring, which makes no sense to me if you pick up on the symbolism and appreciate great filmmaking.

OT: The English Patient (most of you probably haven't seen/heard of this one) and Boyhood. Two that come to mind pretty quickly. 

I was ready to give the same answer when I saw Jpcc86 citing Gravity.

OT: I'm not a big fan of movies "critically acclaimed" in the sense that I like easy entertainment with movies and more deep, serious and thoughtful things with books. Eventually, I find one or two movies acclaimed that I love (like Birdman, Amour, Whiplash). Here are some movies that I really hated:

Interstellar: It's a fucking pretentious shit (like most Nolan movies, though I love Dark Knight and The Prestige). It's boring, uninspired and full with dull solutions in the screenplay. People came to me at the time with the "you didn't like it because you didn't understand" thing, the same from Batman vs Superman, and I was like "but what the hell is so hard to understand in that movie that made you think I didn't understand?".

Schindler's list: Not a problem with B&W, I love old movies (Psycho from Hitchcock is one of my all-time favorites), maybe a little problem with Spielberg (not a fan), but this movie is just so boring.

The pianist: Maybe I don't hate it because certainly is a good movie for when I have problems to sleep.

Dark Knight Rises: Anne Hathaway as Catwoman? WTF? And where the hell is the Joker in the middle of the chaos? You want me to believe that all hell's breakin' loose in Gotham and Joker didn't have any part on it? (I know that Ledger died and all, but this don't make sense). And the fight scenes? Bleh. The ending? Don't even get me started.

Lord of the  Rings 
The Two Towers: The pacing for the first two LotR are so slow. But this, in special, is so meh. The third one is good.