By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: BotW Angry Review

I love the failed attempt at spinning this like Nintendo fans are attacking Joe for giving the game a 9/10, when it is fans of other games attacking him for giving it a 9/10 in his YouTube comments. Sorry, try again guys!

Around the Network

I think his review is fair considering his really only big complaint is that he feels like they didn't really flesh out some of the lore/characters with it being 'post apocalyptic' and essentially that Breath of the Wild sort of assumes you've played the other Zelda games and already have a pre established understanding of a lot of Hyrule's happenings with Ganon and such

Joe says himself he's never played a Zelda game before this.

So I think that criticism is logical, the game does sort of just throw you in without necessarily going mega deep into the history of Hyrule and or lore. the big N is probably assuming a lot of people have played other Zelda games

I was sort of expecting a bitter low score considering Angry Joe seems to have been really pissed at Nintendo for a while regarding Nintendo of Japan's strict online regulation over posting Nintendo gameplay

9/10 is solid as hell as a final score for someone who A) never has played Zelda and B) someone who frankly has some resentment towards Nintendo 

Nuvendil said:

Hardly despair (cause your opinion on the games quality certainly won't phase me or my enjoyment), much more disgust because I didn't realize it was a joke given how many people have said similar things and weren't joking at all and I do find such accusations pathetic on an extraordinary level.  I did just come from that video's YouTube comment section, which is rife with such statements (to the surprise of absolutely no one).  So perhaps next time you want to make a joke in text, you consider whether surrounding conditions will make it hard to spot.

ya nah it seems like it caused to much confusion, and I'm really sorry for that so I'll recommend you a mid strength beer, and a panadol instead.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
FallingTitan said:
QuestForTires said:

What are you talking about?  I went to the comment section and couldn't find 1 person bashing Angry Joe for giving the game a less than 10.  On the contrary, there were a TON of people bashing the game, bashing Nintendo, and criticizing Joe for giving the game as close to 10 as he did.  What is ironic, is that 99% of these people probably have not and will not play the game. 

You are just as bad as those people then assuming 99% didn't play it.  I played it and sold it half way through. didnt like it. and i haven't met a bigger zelda fan in my life then myself.  So dont assume that 99% didnt play it. just cuz we dont like something you do doesn't mean we are less then.

if you buy a Zelda game and don't even get more than half way through its sort of tough to consider you a serious 'Zelda fan'. just saying. Arguably Breath of the Wild's buildup of gaining allies and (eventually) beating Ganon is a big part of the experience.

its fair if you didn't like the game, but generally we should try to be objective when reviewing games. OBJECTIVELY speaking Breath of the Wild does a lot well. Its just plenty of people may not like an open world game that focuses more on having fun with its physics engine AND exploring, rather than the traditional slightly more linear 'dungeon to dungeon' aspect of Zelda.

I  do stand by the concept that its hard to take someone's opinion of a game who only played half of it anywhere near as seriously as someone who does a complete playthrough of a game. Especially with a game as expansive as Breath of the Wild.

Although also, arguably, because Breath of the Wild is so open ended and you CAN do a lot of things in any order- if you didn't finish the game or accomplish a lot of things- how would you even KNOW that you were halfway through?

at any rate its just sad people bitching and whining when someone like Angry Joe likes the new Zelda game. He has no incentive to lie about it, in fact if anything one would expect him to be a bit biased AGAINST Nintendo games considering the war he's had with them online regarding 'fair use'.]

You're allowed to not like something but to claim that reviews are biased or unreasonable because of your subjective opinion is just silly. As an example: I don't really like The Witcher 3 all that much  PERSONALLY but objectively I will admit that its a great looking game with a lot of unique solid gameplay. I wouldn't say its great reviews weren't deserved just because I personally don't enjoy it that much. Same should apply to you haters and Zelda. Its a game that does a lot well. if its not your cup of tea that's sort of irrelevant in terms whether its a good game or not.

FallingTitan said:
QuestForTires said:

What are you talking about?  I went to the comment section and couldn't find 1 person bashing Angry Joe for giving the game a less than 10.  On the contrary, there were a TON of people bashing the game, bashing Nintendo, and criticizing Joe for giving the game as close to 10 as he did.  What is ironic, is that 99% of these people probably have not and will not play the game. 

You are just as bad as those people then assuming 99% didn't play it.  I played it and sold it half way through. didnt like it. and i haven't met a bigger zelda fan in my life then myself.  So dont assume that 99% didnt play it. just cuz we dont like something you do doesn't mean we are less then.

When the people giving favorable reviews have fully detailed reasons for why they like the game in their comments compared to the single sentence:

When Youtube's profit forces you to be a fan of Zelda/MGS....
Nothing in this review, the game description Et cetera would make me buy this game or the Switch. I just can not see the appeal of Zelda games. Would I be wrong to say that people play and buy it for nostalgia?
So is true then, Angry Joe really lost his balls and is giving in to the conformity of the mainstream media of the gaming community. Seems that only Jim Sterling had the balls to give this game the score that it deserves, a 7/10.
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nier: Automata are better games. Don't waste your money on Nintendo's new gimmick console for Zelda.
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nier: Automata are better games. Don't waste your money on Nintendo's new gimmick console for Zelda.
How about getting Horizon Zero Dawn I think that game is better.
pay 500 dollars for this game f*ck no nintendo fans  (<--- censored by me)
I have lost all respec
F*ck Nintendo and f*ck nintendo fanboys  (<--- censored by me)
This review is shit.  (<--- censored by me)

Nah, I still feel confident that not a single one of the people making these comments have played the game.  I'm not saying you personally have to give the game a 9 out of 10.  You are as entitled to your own opinion as anyone.  I was pretty clear who I was talking about.  "Don't buy Nintendo's gimmick console, "F" Nintendo, "F" Nintendo Fans, Joe sold out, etc.."  Yeah, I don't feel wrong for dismissing that low level of intellect out of hand.

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:

I think his review is fair considering his really only big complaint is that he feels like they didn't really flesh out some of the lore/characters with it being 'post apocalyptic' and essentially that Breath of the Wild sort of assumes you've played the other Zelda games and already have a pre established understanding of a lot of Hyrule's happenings with Ganon and such

Joe says himself he's never played a Zelda game before this.

So I think that criticism is logical, the game does sort of just throw you in without necessarily going mega deep into the history of Hyrule and or lore. the big N is probably assuming a lot of people have played other Zelda games

I was sort of expecting a bitter low score considering Angry Joe seems to have been really pissed at Nintendo for a while regarding Nintendo of Japan's strict online regulation over posting Nintendo gameplay

9/10 is solid as hell as a final score for someone who A) never has played Zelda and B) someone who frankly has some resentment towards Nintendo 

He never played a Zelda game before? That's really surprising.

I can't believe some of the people in the comment section who are mad because he gave it a high score. I watched plenty of angry reviews to know joe is pretty fair when he reviews games. if he gave the game a 9/10 then he genuinely felt the game deserved 9/10.

Hiku said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The systems works really well indeed, the whole game is designed with that in mind, the problem is to play the game with the wrong mindset

I wouldn't label it as the right or wrong mindest. They're just different mindsets to have.
Becoming attached to certain items, or wanting to be strategic in how you want to use them can provide an extra layer of enjoyment in games.
For example, I've found weapons that weren't the strongest in the game, but that I enjoyed using more than any other weapon. Partially because of how the weapon works, but other times also because the things that happened on the way of finding the weapon, which I'm reminded of every time I see it.
Having this mindset can also be beneficial in specific technical ways. For example, in Shin Megami Tensei 3, the first creature (weapon) you encounter is a Pixie. I got attached to her because of the circumstances surounding how I met her, so I kept her and used her throughout the whole game, even though she quickly fell behind in usefuness compared to other personas.
Little did I know that at the end of the game, if you still had that Pixie in your party, she could become the strongest ally in the game.

People with "the right" mindset (as you labeled it) would commonly fuse her into other Personas, and eventually get rid of her/sell her in favor of having other much stronger allies in their roster, missing out on the chance to get the Uber Pixie.

That's an example of a technical benefit, but there are plenty of others that can't be quantified in numbers that I've experienced when playing.

It's not a mindset that can always or easily change from game to game. Some times a bit of leyway is required to not get bothered by something.
And just because someone can't enjoy the characters from For Honor because it features nothing but big mucular brutes, and they prefer lean, more graceful and stylish looking characters, I wouldn't say that's the wrong mindeset to have.
When developing games, developers always consider who the game caters to, and they have to make decisions that they know can't please everyone.

I disagree, if someone goes into Dark Souls 3 and mindlessly mashes buttons because that's what they enjoy it's still the wrong mindset even if that's what they prefer. They can do that as much as they want but don't be too surprised if the game becomes more and more punishing trying to play that way.

They can have a different mindset sure but it doesn't mind it's the ideal or optimal mindset to go into a certain game with, having the optimal mind set doesn't mean limited in approach either as many BOTW players approach the game differently the main common factor in the game is that they adjust their play to still respect what is optimal.

Eric2048 said:
I can't believe some of the people in the comment section who are mad because he gave it a high score. I watched plenty of angry reviews to know joe is pretty fair when he reviews games. if he gave the game a 9/10 then he genuinely felt the game deserved 9/10.

He says it himself in his Zelda playthrough that the gamers mindset is always to shit on anything that gets amazing scores. Its kinda true.

Tagging, thought he was not going to bother with Nintendo reviews :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]