By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: BotW Angry Review

Hiku said:

That's not an example of "the wrong" mindset, if that person tries to enjoy the Souls style, but can't. I mentioned that "It's not a mindset that can always or easily change from game to game. Some times a bit of leyway is required to not get bothered by something."
Someone who prefers Dynasty Warriors button mashing could warm up to Souls styles games. But not everyone can.

They can't enjoy it because of that mindset so it's the wrong mindset, the correct mindset is accepting the are some things in a game that you have to respect in order to get the most out of it and start adjusting. You see this a lot with fighting games where the player not respect the options their opponent has available to them in mechanics and moveset ends up getting destroyed, eventually either the player has to starting respecting it or continuously run into the same wall.

Games are the same in that respect they shouldn't have to cater to mindsets that are wildly not optimal to their design apporach, as said someone is free to go in and keep the wrong mind set but don't get upset when things become punishing. We play games over time so use that time to adjust your mind set if you're coming in with one that's not optimal.

Around the Network
Platina said:
Tagging, thought he was not going to bother with Nintendo reviews :p

Well, if they try to claim this vid, I'm sure he will be done.  Hopefully, Nintendo has learned, but we will see.

@ OP

This is why I respect Joe.  He takes his scores seriously.  It has negative aspects, even if they are minor, he's not going to just hand it a 10 to either appease fanboys or to just join the group.

Hiku said:

They can't enjoy it because of their preferences, not their mindset in the situations I'm talking about. Trying to like it is the correct mindset.
And Joe tried to like it, and he even thought about (and gave example of) what would make him enjoy this system more, such as weapons not breaking as easily. Or having specific weapons (like the Master Sword) that never break.
The person who initially said that the only problem with weapon deteriation in Zelda is people playing with the wrong mindset should know that Joe wanted to enjoy it, since he mentioned other very specific details of the review.

Preference is a part of the mindset, someone can try to like something but can't shake off bad habits or just want to play in one particular way it's still a wrong mindset to employ, what you're describing with Joe is him accepting and respecting the limits placed upon him by the design.

The original poster has a point as the game would need an overhaul design to balance unbreakable weapons as many are heavily abusasble in situations which would mean restrcting access to more powerful gear, you eventually learn to manage your gear like resources and how to approach the game, this is when you start to have the optimal mindset as the weapons are never meant to be a permanent thing and even then the game allows some deviation to this with the unique champion gear which can be replaced.

I doubt that Nintendo will claim his review, because this time, it is a review and not a let's play. The focus is entirely different.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

mountaindewslave said:
FallingTitan said:

You are just as bad as those people then assuming 99% didn't play it.  I played it and sold it half way through. didnt like it. and i haven't met a bigger zelda fan in my life then myself.  So dont assume that 99% didnt play it. just cuz we dont like something you do doesn't mean we are less then.

if you buy a Zelda game and don't even get more than half way through its sort of tough to consider you a serious 'Zelda fan'. just saying. Arguably Breath of the Wild's buildup of gaining allies and (eventually) beating Ganon is a big part of the experience.

its fair if you didn't like the game, but generally we should try to be objective when reviewing games. OBJECTIVELY speaking Breath of the Wild does a lot well. Its just plenty of people may not like an open world game that focuses more on having fun with its physics engine AND exploring, rather than the traditional slightly more linear 'dungeon to dungeon' aspect of Zelda.

I  do stand by the concept that its hard to take someone's opinion of a game who only played half of it anywhere near as seriously as someone who does a complete playthrough of a game. Especially with a game as expansive as Breath of the Wild.

Although also, arguably, because Breath of the Wild is so open ended and you CAN do a lot of things in any order- if you didn't finish the game or accomplish a lot of things- how would you even KNOW that you were halfway through?

at any rate its just sad people bitching and whining when someone like Angry Joe likes the new Zelda game. He has no incentive to lie about it, in fact if anything one would expect him to be a bit biased AGAINST Nintendo games considering the war he's had with them online regarding 'fair use'.]

You're allowed to not like something but to claim that reviews are biased or unreasonable because of your subjective opinion is just silly. As an example: I don't really like The Witcher 3 all that much  PERSONALLY but objectively I will admit that its a great looking game with a lot of unique solid gameplay. I wouldn't say its great reviews weren't deserved just because I personally don't enjoy it that much. Same should apply to you haters and Zelda. Its a game that does a lot well. if its not your cup of tea that's sort of irrelevant in terms whether its a good game or not.

well i knew there was 4 beasts total from the storyline and i did the elephant zoro first and then the lizard and realized i wasn't having fun. it was not easy choice to sell it but it was harder to force myself to play it everyday. I love zelda so much so i did force myself the last couple of days. then gave up on it. 

and the first thing i did was hack jump into hyrule castle to get end game weapons to get some durabilty. sadly they didnt last as long. I had to keep going back up doing that jump up the pillar thing. which i think nintendo did not realize was a possible glitch.  To kill the end game 'creeps' i used sneak attack and it was ez.

i get what your saying! but just to add some context i loved witcher 3 so much. I probably have near 400hrs on it. Somedays I go back just to be in the world and immerse myself in it.  an example would be just riding roach with the beautiful music of some areas. Zelda sometimes had no music and was errily quiet during most of my climbs and runs.

Around the Network
QuestForTires said:
FallingTitan said:

You are just as bad as those people then assuming 99% didn't play it.  I played it and sold it half way through. didnt like it. and i haven't met a bigger zelda fan in my life then myself.  So dont assume that 99% didnt play it. just cuz we dont like something you do doesn't mean we are less then.

When the people giving favorable reviews have fully detailed reasons for why they like the game in their comments compared to the single sentence:

When Youtube's profit forces you to be a fan of Zelda/MGS....
Nothing in this review, the game description Et cetera would make me buy this game or the Switch. I just can not see the appeal of Zelda games. Would I be wrong to say that people play and buy it for nostalgia?
So is true then, Angry Joe really lost his balls and is giving in to the conformity of the mainstream media of the gaming community. Seems that only Jim Sterling had the balls to give this game the score that it deserves, a 7/10.
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nier: Automata are better games. Don't waste your money on Nintendo's new gimmick console for Zelda.
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nier: Automata are better games. Don't waste your money on Nintendo's new gimmick console for Zelda.
How about getting Horizon Zero Dawn I think that game is better.
pay 500 dollars for this game f*ck no nintendo fans  (<--- censored by me)
I have lost all respec
F*ck Nintendo and f*ck nintendo fanboys  (<--- censored by me)
This review is shit.  (<--- censored by me)

Nah, I still feel confident that not a single one of the people making these comments have played the game.  I'm not saying you personally have to give the game a 9 out of 10.  You are as entitled to your own opinion as anyone.  I was pretty clear who I was talking about.  "Don't buy Nintendo's gimmick console, "F" Nintendo, "F" Nintendo Fans, Joe sold out, etc.."  Yeah, I don't feel wrong for dismissing that low level of intellect out of hand.

oh ok fair enough

Hiku said:
Wyrdness said:

Preference is a part of the mindset, someone can try to like something but can't shake off bad habits or just want to play in one particular way it's still a wrong mindset to employ, what you're describing with Joe is him accepting and respecting the limits placed upon him by the design.

The original poster has a point as the game would need an overhaul design to balance unbreakable weapons as many are heavily abusasble in situations which would mean restrcting access to more powerful gear, you eventually learn to manage your gear like resources and how to approach the game, this is when you start to have the optimal mindset as the weapons are never meant to be a permanent thing and even then the game allows some deviation to this with the unique champion gear which can be replaced.

I acknowledge that preferences are a part of your midndset in the examples I gave in my first post. But it's specifically Joe's preference that made him not like the durability system. His overall mindset, which was trying to like it, understanding it, and even analyzing what would make him like it more, is a good mindset to have going into a game. That's the best you can do, as not everyone will like everything. Saying that "the durability system sucks because it's not like *insert specific game*" as your only critique of it is an example of a bad mindset to have, as they are different games.

Assuming that the only problem people can have with this system is them having the "wrong mindset" is arogant.
That would be unfair people who try to enjoy it, and give it a fair chance, but simply can't. There's nothing wrong about that.

You make it sound like he hated the weapon system when actually he said he will be happy if they just lasted a bit more and he aknowleges why the system works as it is, if he hated it he wouldn't be praised the game so much, since combat is pretty important, instead of being as closeminded as Jim, Joe started with the wrong mindset and little by little he started to understand how the system worked and how he was suppose to play it, when he adjusted he loved the game.

Goodnightmoon said:
Hiku said:

I acknowledge that preferences are a part of your midndset in the examples I gave in my first post. But it's specifically Joe's preference that made him not like the durability system. His overall mindset, which was trying to like it, understanding it, and even analyzing what would make him like it more, is a good mindset to have going into a game. That's the best you can do, as not everyone will like everything. Saying that "the durability system sucks because it's not like *insert specific game*" as your only critique of it is an example of a bad mindset to have, as they are different games.

Assuming that the only problem people can have with this system is them having the "wrong mindset" is arogant.
That would be unfair people who try to enjoy it, and give it a fair chance, but simply can't. There's nothing wrong about that.

You make it sound like he hated the weapon system when actually he said he will be happy if they just lasted a bit more and he aknowleges why the system works as it is, if he hated it he wouldn't be praised the game so much, since combat is pretty important, instead of being as closeminded as Jim, Joe started with the wrong mindset and little by little he started to understand how the system worked and how he was suppose to play it, when he adjusted he loved the game.

You guys really can't get over that 7 can you?  Boy.  And no, Joe liking the game more, despite not exactly liking the weapon durability, doesn't make him more open-minded than Jim.  By the way, Jim still liked the game, just not as much.  No, that means they have different opinions.  Technically, they share similar opinions on the weapons, only it didn't bother Joe as much.  Nor did he start out with "the wrong mindset."

In the end, there is only one conclusion.  It's just time to get over the 7.

thismeintiel said:
Goodnightmoon said:

You guys really can't get over that 7 can you?  Boy.  And no, Joe liking the game more, despite not exactly liking the weapon durability, doesn't make him more open-minded than Jim.  By the way, Jim still liked the game, just not as much.  No, that means they have different opinions.  Technically, they share similar opinions on the weapons, only it didn't bother Joe as much.  Nor did he start out with "the wrong mindset."

In the end, there is only one conclusion.  It's just time to get over the 7.

I can't get over a completely obvious clickbait review, no I don't, fool yourself as much as you please, to most people what Jim did was obvious.

Hiku said:
Goodnightmoon said:

He said "I wish it wasn't there" at 21:43 in the review. That means he has a problem with it.

I specifically pointed out the examples he gave of what would have made him be ok with the system, which is an indication that he has an understanding of it. There's no indication of him having the wrong mindset anywhere in the review. Not understanding how a system fully works in the beginning is perfectly normal. As long as you continue on, so that you can get a clear understanding of how it fully works in context of the game, you have the right mindset. And that's what he seemingly did.

However, after he has beaten the game, he still has a problem with it. He wishes it wasn't in the game, unless they change some things.

So how does this go together with your comment that the only problem with it is having the wrong mindset?

Just after that he says "or tweaked a little bit so they break less" no he doesn't hate the system, otherways he would not be given the game almost a 10.

The thing about the mindset was already explained to you with the Dark Souls example, is fine if you don't like it, but there is a right mindset to play those games, if you play them wrong you gonna hate them for sure, but that's your choice, he didn't loved the system but clearly didn't really disliked it nearly as much as Jim claimed (he made it sound like a gamebreaking issue which is ridiculous), and certainly, he didn't hated it, he just prefer other systems and that's fine.