By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can we all agree now, that Sony should go third-party?

Should they?

Yes, you're right! 16 30.77%

Are you crazy? Naturally not! 21 40.38%

I didn't thought so yet,... 2 3.85%

dunno 2 3.85%

don't care about Sony 4 7.69%

wanna see results 7 13.46%

Total:52
naruball said:
Yay. More retaliation threads. That's exactly what we need.

Can you think of any real reason why I'm wrong? Because, hatevver, Sony, MS, Nintendo could all go to PC. I just long for Horizon that send my thoughts this path. And if you really think about it, PC-releases only have advantages. At least I cannot think of disadvantages yet, and you didn't provide any too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I get that this is a reaction thread, but even as someone who thinks it's far too early to be bringing up the "Nintendo should go 3rd party" debates again, i think this thread is silly.

Nintendo's business model revolves around their own games. They make them, sell them, and merchandise them. There is at least some logic to the argument of them going 3rd party, since in theory it gives them access to more customers to sell those games too.

For Sony, that'd run counter to their core business plan. They don't just want you buying Uncharted 4, they want you buying all your none-Sony games through them too.

KBG29 said:
Sony already announced they are going 3rd party. PS Now will be streaming PS4 games to PC in the next few months. In time we should have Sony games on basically every device that has Netflix. Not sure how much more 3rd party they can get. Unless you want them to stop making their own hardware altogether.

PSNow isn't them going third party. It's more open than the alternative, but it's ultimately still a closed eco-system. The same holds true for MS. They might be putting their games on PC, but only within a closed MS-owned eco-system. That's not going third party, it's just expand the reaches of your 1st party environment.

Zekkyou said:
I get that this is a reaction thread, but even as someone who thinks it's far too early to be bringing up the "Nintendo should go 3rd party" debates again, i think this thread is silly.

Nintendo's business model revolves around their own games. They make them, sell them, and merchandise them. There is at least some logic to the argument of them going 3rd party, since in theory it gives them access to more customers to sell those games too.

For Sony, that'd run counter to their core business plan. They don't just want you buying Uncharted 4, they want you buying all your none-Sony games through them too.

This. Nintendo's primary value is their IP, Sony's is their ecosystem.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Mnementh said:
Barkley said:

There are advantages a console has over PC for gaming.

What are these advantages? I know for the argument of simple playing, but with modern PCs and Steam and the like gaming on PC is easy as never before.

1 - Physical Releases & Used Games, these are practically non-existant on PC (though this could change on console in the coming decade.) This is especially invaluable in regions with poor internet infrastructure or data-caps.

2 - On PC you're basically forced to use Keyboard + Mouse in the vast majority of games for online multiplayer or suffer a massive disadvantage.

3 - Price/Performance, try building a PC as powerful as a PS4 for £200, Hell Sainsbury's were selling used XBO's for £130 the other day. Bluray Drive + HDD + Input Device (gamepad) + Case + PSU + CPU + GPU + Ram + necessary cables and a crappy headset in some cases.

4 - Gamepad Usability, this can likely be made better on PC with certain applications, but navigating through Windows 10 on your gamepad while lounging on the couch? Good luck.

5 - Centralized System, Windows is an open system, which does have many advantages over a closed system, however there's also many advantages to having a closed system. Everything is in one place, everything is official. You don't have to download Origin, Steam, Uplay, or any third party applicatoins. You don't have to go googling for this or for that application/software/tool, everything available on PlayStation is on the Store, it's simple. You pay a price for the simplicity in the extent of it's functionality but for most that price is worth paying. PS4 - One Friends List, One Library, One OS, One System, One Store.

6 - Idiot Proof. Unlike PC's you don't need to check system requirements, you don't have to edit graphics options to get the game to run how you want it to, and the system itself is a lot easier to navigate.

7 - Trophies/Achievements, this is a big deal for some (Ka-pi!) and steam achievements are bloody awful, as they have no seperate value and no standardisation between games. I.E This game has 5 steam achievements, this game has 800. Each steam achievement is worth... 1 achievement.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

I don't get it. Well, they want to control an ecosystem. That wants every console-manufacturer. But inhowfar they do profit? They have great internal IPs and selling them to a greater audience really could bring in more money. So they want to give up on profit for control? This sounds not like something you should tell the investors.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Retaliation thread. Locking.

Btw this thread wasn't even funny like I was hoping. It was just an OP of poorly thought out points. You wasted my time OP. I am not amused.