By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Revisions Are Basically Already Possible

If they cut the price to $250 and have a game bundled, which I suspect could happen as early as this fall ... is the price issue even that big of a deal?

It's a mere $50 more than the 3DS XL, which is the model that has the overwhelming majority of 3DS sales especially early in the life cycle.

Most 3DS buyers are willing to pay $200 for that ... Switch is way better hardware, TV output, way better screen resoution, detachable controllers, more built-in storage, and the entire Nintendo future catalog on one device (there's no Splatoon 3DS or Zelda: BotW for 3DS) and you're get a free game? 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

With 2DS they offered cheaper version of 3DS platform. Like I wrote, of course you can take 3D screen from Switch, but you can take TV mode, Dock and detachable Joy Cons and offer cheaper version of Switch.

Like I wrote, we will eventually have Switch 2 or Pro, but point is there is no need for stronger and more expensive version of Switch any time soon, but actually there will be need for cheaper and smaller version when 3DS dies.

Fact that they said they always thinking about next handheld could mean anything that doesn't mean they will make another or that they want make another. Like I wrote, that was unspecific PR talk beacuse its obvious they dont want to talk about that yet, its just a PR talk, you relley dont need to pay atention of unspecific PR talk of Nintendo.

I don't ignored how DS and 3DS are treatment, but you clearly ignoring fact Switch is hybrid not just handheld, that DS and 3DS had much smaller screens on launch and had much cheaper price points, so making more bigger/expensive version of DS/3DS totally made sense, but with Switch we have hybrid, you already have huge screen and already have high price point compared to previous handhelds, so its very obvious that in case of Switch totaly make sense to realase smaller/cheaper version not actualy more bigger/expensive version, that will made even more sense when 3DS dies.

Like I wrote, they can cut around $100 with cutting TV mode from Switch, Dock and detachable Joy Cons and some other things that are requred for TV mode.

Offcourse that Switch MIni/Pocket would be part of Switch platform, it will play same games. Joy Cons doesn't have anything with that, you realise that you can use Switch without Joy Cons with Pro Controller for instance.

Nintendo coud sell regualar Switch for $250-300 and Switch Mini/Pocket for $150-200. Difrence would be aroung $100, not $150. Like I wrote at least 5x times to you, beacuse not all people are wiling to pay $300 Switch and TV mode, but they would be willing to pay around $200, you do realise that majority 3DS owners paid for 3DS around $150-200 and of course that not all would be willing to pay $300 for Switch.

"For some reason you assume that lower price points bring costumers that a higher price tag can't bring"!? Are you serious!? For tenth time, offcourse that not alllhandhedl lowers wouldnt pay $300 for Switch and TV mode beacuse thats too expansive for them and they dont need TV mode. Ask your self, why 3DS has price point from $80-100 to $200, because they know they aiming different segments of market with different price points, not every consumer should pay $200 for 3DS thats why you have cheaper versions. Like I wrote, Sony managed things totaly difence than Nitnendo, Nintendo is one that always had multiple price points on market in same time, Sony always had usually had just one price point, Nintendo curently on market covers price point from $80-100 to $300, it's clearly you don't know what are you talking and how Nintendo operates and think (fact you constantly bringing Sony in this story proves that) if you think they will abonend more affordable price point with Switch and only offer $300 price point.

Like I wroteyou need to realise that Nintendo platforms always had worse 3rd party support (actually from SNES gen) compared to competition, and that actually Wii U had solid 3rd party support for Nintendo platform with games that I mentioned, but Wii U loosed that support after terrible sales in 1st year.

This really doesn't make any sense, you clearly ignoring things that I wrote for you or you forgetting them, you keep writing things on that I already gave clear answersin fact for some things I wrote you 5x same answers but you again act like you didn't see that and again wrote same thing even its clearly I already gave you answer on that multiply times. So I really don't see any point arguing with you, because I already gave you clear answers on everything you wrote, just look what I already wrote to you in previous post or in some post earlier.

It's true, with 2DS they did offer a cheaper version of the 3DS. You just forgot to mention that it wasn't their first revision.
So, exactly why didn't they offered it instead of the 3DS XL? They could have offered 2DS for 99-129 and cover that market.
That's probably because 2DS was a reaction to all negativity surrounding the 3D in 3DS, and not a strategy move.

You can take the dock but not the joy cons.
The pro controller still incorporates the tech in the joy cons.

I already showed you that Nintendo's stragey hasn't been to go after the lower price tags and there's nothing that even hints at that.
You can dismiss the PR talk all you want, but the actual PR usually mentions that they are always developing new HW and not just thinking about it. That's actually a first, if i'm not mistaken.

Switch Pro doesn't need to be more expensive than the actual Switch.
All you need is to lower the price of the regular Switch by 50$ and price Pro at 300$.
With a 250$-300$ price range, why should they focus their research efforts and money to develop a handheld that is an inferior product to Switch? What's the point in that?
They would probably make less money with that, cut their price levarage, kill their current strategy and even make some games unplayable on the Mini version.

Just because there's people who don't want to pay 300 for Switch doesn't mean that they won't, in theory, pay the 300$.
The market isn't that rigid in their ways. That's exactly what PS4 showed: it sold more than people expected despite the 400$ price tag. Because the value was high.
Your idea that people won't pay more than 200 are going to stick with it just because, is not a valid idea.
Not to mention that a price down to 250 for the Switch would pretty much kill a Mini for 200.

"Nintendo curently on market covers price point from $80-100 to $300, it's clearly you don't know what are you talking and how Nintendo operates and think (fact you constantly bringing Sony in this story proves that) if you think they will abonend more affordable price point with Switch and only offer $300 price point."

First of all, you are the one ignoring the fact that, with the exception of 2DS, Nintendo's way has always been about introducing either similar or higher priced products (simples revisions or upgrades), at least since the GBA (even the Micro was introduced at about the same price as the SP or lower than the SP (after the SP got it's price cut in 2014)).
You are focusing too much on the price range and not on how Nintendo reaches that price range.

Also, i never said Nintendo should or would abandon that market. I actually said two things in regards to that:
1 - Enough value will make those who, in other circumstances, wouldn't easily pay a higher price, actually pay that price.
2 - With time, Nintendo will eventually hit that market... after it's collected as many profits as they can with a higher price range.

The reason i bring up the PS4 is too show that Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to actually come up with 200$ handheld to make that market buy their products. Enough appeal will make a chunk of that market buy a product at a higher price.

One last thing you are ignoring: Nintendo's strategy.
In your eyes Nintendo should go against a winning strategy instead of building up on it (resulting in more profits).  

zorg1000 said:

Switch Lite, 5" 720p screen w/built in controls, 4-8hr battery

September 2018, $199.99

That's the model I want... a Vita-sized Switch with good battery life.

I don't need detachable joycons (or even HD rumble) in a handheld... so if leaving these features out helps keeping the costs down and give more space for the battery, I'm all for it.

dahuman said:
ICStats said:

4 crap games doesn't make 1 good game :P

You also made Issac cry you cold bastard!

It's okay Issac, ignore ICStats' cold heart, I have a home for you here! T_T <3

I think the $39.99 price tag made him cry more than my coldness. :P

My 8th gen collection

Soundwave said:

If they cut the price to $250 and have a game bundled, which I suspect could happen as early as this fall ... is the price issue even that big of a deal?

It's a mere $50 more than the 3DS XL, which is the model that has the overwhelming majority of 3DS sales especially early in the life cycle.

Most 3DS buyers are willing to pay $200 for that ... Switch is way better hardware, TV output, way better screen resoution, detachable controllers, more built-in storage, and the entire Nintendo future catalog on one device (there's no Splatoon 3DS or Zelda: BotW for 3DS) and you're get a free game? 

That's very unlikely. For now Switch is seeling great for $300 without bundled game, so to go from that to $250 with bundled game in its 1st year Switch would need to sell terrible, and that $250 with one game in 1st year would basically mean saving mode for Switch.I can definitely see Switch for holiday season get bundled one game for instance MK8 Deluxe or 1,2 Switch, but price cut in 1st year is posibile only if sales are bad. Switch with $300 price and bundled game and already availible games on market like Zelda BotW, MK8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon2, Mario Odyssey, posible Pokemon or some other game, will be very popular in any case at holiday season.

Most 3DS owners bought 3DS for price point $150-200. Definatly good number of them will pay even $300 for curent Swtich, but also good number will not be willing to pay that price and they will wait smaller more affordable version that will actually be better like handheld device.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

With 2DS they offered cheaper version of 3DS platform. Like I wrote, of course you can take 3D screen from Switch, but you can take TV mode, Dock and detachable Joy Cons and offer cheaper version of Switch.

Like I wrote, we will eventually have Switch 2 or Pro, but point is there is no need for stronger and more expensive version of Switch any time soon, but actually there will be need for cheaper and smaller version when 3DS dies.

Fact that they said they always thinking about next handheld could mean anything that doesn't mean they will make another or that they want make another. Like I wrote, that was unspecific PR talk beacuse its obvious they dont want to talk about that yet, its just a PR talk, you relley dont need to pay atention of unspecific PR talk of Nintendo.

I don't ignored how DS and 3DS are treatment, but you clearly ignoring fact Switch is hybrid not just handheld, that DS and 3DS had much smaller screens on launch and had much cheaper price points, so making more bigger/expensive version of DS/3DS totally made sense, but with Switch we have hybrid, you already have huge screen and already have high price point compared to previous handhelds, so its very obvious that in case of Switch totaly make sense to realase smaller/cheaper version not actualy more bigger/expensive version, that will made even more sense when 3DS dies.

Like I wrote, they can cut around $100 with cutting TV mode from Switch, Dock and detachable Joy Cons and some other things that are requred for TV mode.

Offcourse that Switch MIni/Pocket would be part of Switch platform, it will play same games. Joy Cons doesn't have anything with that, you realise that you can use Switch without Joy Cons with Pro Controller for instance.

Nintendo coud sell regualar Switch for $250-300 and Switch Mini/Pocket for $150-200. Difrence would be aroung $100, not $150. Like I wrote at least 5x times to you, beacuse not all people are wiling to pay $300 Switch and TV mode, but they would be willing to pay around $200, you do realise that majority 3DS owners paid for 3DS around $150-200 and of course that not all would be willing to pay $300 for Switch.

"For some reason you assume that lower price points bring costumers that a higher price tag can't bring"!? Are you serious!? For tenth time, offcourse that not alllhandhedl lowers wouldnt pay $300 for Switch and TV mode beacuse thats too expansive for them and they dont need TV mode. Ask your self, why 3DS has price point from $80-100 to $200, because they know they aiming different segments of market with different price points, not every consumer should pay $200 for 3DS thats why you have cheaper versions. Like I wrote, Sony managed things totaly difence than Nitnendo, Nintendo is one that always had multiple price points on market in same time, Sony always had usually had just one price point, Nintendo curently on market covers price point from $80-100 to $300, it's clearly you don't know what are you talking and how Nintendo operates and think (fact you constantly bringing Sony in this story proves that) if you think they will abonend more affordable price point with Switch and only offer $300 price point.

Like I wroteyou need to realise that Nintendo platforms always had worse 3rd party support (actually from SNES gen) compared to competition, and that actually Wii U had solid 3rd party support for Nintendo platform with games that I mentioned, but Wii U loosed that support after terrible sales in 1st year.

This really doesn't make any sense, you clearly ignoring things that I wrote for you or you forgetting them, you keep writing things on that I already gave clear answersin fact for some things I wrote you 5x same answers but you again act like you didn't see that and again wrote same thing even its clearly I already gave you answer on that multiply times. So I really don't see any point arguing with you, because I already gave you clear answers on everything you wrote, just look what I already wrote to you in previous post or in some post earlier.

It's true, with 2DS they did offer a cheaper version of the 3DS. You just forgot to mention that it wasn't their first revision.
So, exactly why didn't they offered it instead of the 3DS XL? They could have offered 2DS for 99-129 and cover that market.
That's probably because 2DS was a reaction to all negativity surrounding the 3D in 3DS, and not a strategy move.

You can take the dock but not the joy cons.
The pro controller still incorporates the tech in the joy cons.

I already showed you that Nintendo's stragey hasn't been to go after the lower price tags and there's nothing that even hints at that.
You can dismiss the PR talk all you want, but the actual PR usually mentions that they are always developing new HW and not just thinking about it. That's actually a first, if i'm not mistaken.

Switch Pro doesn't need to be more expensive than the actual Switch.
All you need is to lower the price of the regular Switch by 50$ and price Pro at 300$.
With a 250$-300$ price range, why should they focus their research efforts and money to develop a handheld that is an inferior product to Switch? What's the point in that?
They would probably make less money with that, cut their price levarage, kill their current strategy and even make some games unplayable on the Mini version.

Just because there's people who don't want to pay 300 for Switch doesn't mean that they won't, in theory, pay the 300$.
The market isn't that rigid in their ways. That's exactly what PS4 showed: it sold more than people expected despite the 400$ price tag. Because the value was high.
Your idea that people won't pay more than 200 are going to stick with it just because, is not a valid idea.
Not to mention that a price down to 250 for the Switch would pretty much kill a Mini for 200.

"Nintendo curently on market covers price point from $80-100 to $300, it's clearly you don't know what are you talking and how Nintendo operates and think (fact you constantly bringing Sony in this story proves that) if you think they will abonend more affordable price point with Switch and only offer $300 price point."

First of all, you are the one ignoring the fact that, with the exception of 2DS, Nintendo's way has always been about introducing either similar or higher priced products (simples revisions or upgrades), at least since the GBA (even the Micro was introduced at about the same price as the SP or lower than the SP (after the SP got it's price cut in 2014)).
You are focusing too much on the price range and not on how Nintendo reaches that price range.

Also, i never said Nintendo should or would abandon that market. I actually said two things in regards to that:
1 - Enough value will make those who, in other circumstances, wouldn't easily pay a higher price, actually pay that price.
2 - With time, Nintendo will eventually hit that market... after it's collected as many profits as they can with a higher price range.

The reason i bring up the PS4 is too show that Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to actually come up with 200$ handheld to make that market buy their products. Enough appeal will make a chunk of that market buy a product at a higher price.

One last thing you are ignoring: Nintendo's strategy.
In your eyes Nintendo should go against a winning strategy instead of building up on it (resulting in more profits).  

Basicly on all that I gave you clear anwers. I dont ignoring anuthing but you actualy totaly ignoring clear facts.

You are one that ignoring facts like that Switch is totaly difrent compared to DS and 3DS, in case of DS and 3DS, both had smaller screens and smaller price points so there was sense to later release bigger or more expensive device, in Switch case you already have higher price point (you do realise that Switch has price point of console not of handheld) and big screen (you do realise that Switch screen is much bigger than New 3DS XL screen), so in Switch case totally make sense to release 1st smaller and cheaper version of Switch not bigger more expensive like in case of DS/3DS.

Offcourse you can take Joy Cons and make built in controls.

Thats just PR talk and if you actauly know NIntendo you would never pay atention of PR talk where they gave unspecific statments that could mean anuthing, "we always thinking about new handheld", doesnt means they work on one in that case they would just said "yes, we working on it", and even if they work you dont know what they mean when they say new handheld (completely new very unlikely, or smaller version of Switch almost certain thing). Use that statement like of proof of anything is ridiculous.

You also totally ignoring fact that actually Nintendo always had lower price points on market, just look curren or past gen, (price point from $100-300). Of Course that priorite for them will be to have lower price point for Switch also like replacement for 3DS price point.

PS4 is not hybrid it only home console, reality in Switch case is you have people who dont want to pay $300 for TV mode also if they only need handheld mode, or they want to pay $300 because they don't need handheld mode. I also started to you that comparison with Sony does not work, because Sony operating differently, look just how much different price points GB, DS and 3DS had compared to PSP and Vita that usually had just one price point, Nintendo always look to have multiple price points on market and to have low price points.

Those are thing I already wrote numerous times to you, but you totally ignoring them and its clear you dont know how Nintendo operates and think, so I really don't see point to reply you anymore or to continue with this.

I think Nintendo should just have a bunch of models. Including ones that have more power, games just scale up and down and the consumer is free to move to something better when they want (more akin to the Apple model). Games are tied to your Nintendo account and simply transfer whenever you want to newer hardware models. I'd like a real product ecosystem which is something Iwata hinted at years ago. Go for it. 

3DS this, 3DS that ... Fuck the 3DS ... Really. I said it. The 3DS is the past and it wasn't even that glorious of a past, it's the worst selling Nintendo portable line during Nintendo's worst decade since they started making game hardware. 

Make new rules, if you are not willing to be bold or ever break out you're never going to get anywhere any how. Not only that it's a different world today. If you're leaning on ancient hardware for too long, people are going to lose interest, we live in a world where people expect new advances every year or two now.

I hope Nintendo tries some new things here, they should not feel so anchored by the past, having chosen an Nvidia off the shelf component with off the shelf RAM as well gives them tremendous freedom now to be flexible, having a unified hardware line means they have more leeway to have more hardware IMO because you are simply offering people choice, whereas in the past you were mandating having to purchase multiple hardware to get the full Nintendo experience. 

The revisions will be have minor changes. Also didn't the Nintendo say around year a go or so, that the NX is completely new hardware family? Personally I can see them instead of revisions, releasing new hardware, backwards compatible with the current Switch, every 1-3 years, like tablets or smartphones.

Kristof81 said:
The revisions will be have minor changes. Also didn't the Nintendo say around year a go or so, that the NX is completely new hardware family? Personally I can see them instead of revisions, releasing new hardware, backwards compatible with the current Switch, every 1-3 years, like tablets or smartphones.

Look at PS4 Pro, or better look what Nintendo done with 3DS family, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, new 3DS XL, 2DS. You can expecting simila things for Switch, curent Switch, Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play, Switch just for home console play, Switch Pro, Switch 2...Switch is new platform and we will have multiple versions of hardware and addons that will all be part of same platform and supporting same games.

Miyamotoo said:
Kristof81 said:

Look at PS4 Pro, or better look what Nintendo done with 3DS family, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, new 3DS XL, 2DS. You can expecting same thing for Switch, curent Switch, Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play, Switch just for home console play, Switch Pro, Switch 2...Switch is new platform and we will have multiple versions of hardware and addons that will be all part of same platform and supporting same games.

Or it could be bigger than that, an actual hardware ecosystem where you can upgrade as you please and games simply scale up. That is how Apple does it, and the Switch hardware (Tegra is upgraded basically every 14-18 months) allows that to be possible. 

3DS is the past, and not a great past at that.