By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Developers Weigh In On The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild's Brilliance

Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

Currently while I playing Zelda BotW and seeing how much brilant game actually is and definitely one of best games ever, I currently really don't see how again Nintendo can achieve something similar or to top Zelda BotW. Offcourse they do that, but curently from my stand point of view I dont know how. :)

In any case it will be very interesting to what they will do with next Zelda.

I can see how they top BOTW they simply build on the approach the same way R* builds on GTA, BOTW isn't an end game approach for the series it's a new rebooted template. All it's going to come down to now is how well they do the world in the next mainline game, for example if they give you the ability to swim and you can dive underwater and find new locations there or catch a loftwing and explore the skys and have Skyloft like areas as well, the's still quite a bit they can do to potentially top it.

Not to mention parallel worlds, or travels between different timelines... There's a lot of directions they can go from here.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
contestgamer said:

Why would they want to?

It is cost/time heavy venture to constantly make open world setting for game. 

GTA does it. Far Cry does it. Fallout does it.  A bunch of franchises do.

MTZehvor said:
contestgamer said:

Why would they want to?

Quite a few reasons, but the simplest answer is they might want to try something new (in much the same way that BotW was an attempt to do something new). As a practical example, Nintendo might want to try telling a complex narrative in a Zelda game, which isn't very easy in a game with as much freedom as BotW. Or perhaps we as consumers will eventually get somewhat tired of open world Zeldas in the same way that we eventually got tired of the traditional 3D Zelda formula beforehand. There's plenty of possible reasons why.

If BOTW had a strong narrative it would be GOAT. It doesnt because Nintendo doesnt want it to unfortunately. Witcher does it without any problems for an open world game

Goodnightmoon said:

There is a genuine excitement on their words, you can really tell they were very impress by this game, just as most people that played it.

So basically critics adore it, players adore it and videogame creators adore it. Meanwhile, forum dwellers will still look for things to nitpick, blow out of proportions and shit about it even when is clearly one of the best games ever made, the worst part is by doing that they believe they look smarter than the rest when is quite the opposite actually, and the more time passes, and the bigger classic BoTW becomes, the dumber they look, specially when all they do is follow the excuses Jim Sterling gave them on its clear-as-water clickbait review.

Jesus Christ.  A pretty nice thread is happening but then here you come to drum your agenda and dump on the opinions of anyone who doesn't fall into the worship line.  You want to know what looks really, really dumb?  The overwhelming need to paint a game as perfect to the point that you pretend personal preference isn't a thing.

Garbage like that is the real fuel of "console warz".  All my favorite games are flawed.  They all deserve criticism, they all have features that other people might not like, and I'm fine with that.  It's not big deal to just say, "okay, but I disagree."  

Climb down off your high-horse.  The game you like has things about it some people aren't crazy about.  Deal with it like an adult.  

pokoko said:
Goodnightmoon said:

There is a genuine excitement on their words, you can really tell they were very impress by this game, just as most people that played it.

So basically critics adore it, players adore it and videogame creators adore it. Meanwhile, forum dwellers will still look for things to nitpick, blow out of proportions and shit about it even when is clearly one of the best games ever made, the worst part is by doing that they believe they look smarter than the rest when is quite the opposite actually, and the more time passes, and the bigger classic BoTW becomes, the dumber they look, specially when all they do is follow the excuses Jim Sterling gave them on its clear-as-water clickbait review.

Jesus Christ.  A pretty nice thread is happening but then here you come to drum your agenda and dump on the opinions of anyone who doesn't fall into the worship line.  You want to know what looks really, really dumb?  The overwhelming need to paint a game as perfect to the point that you pretend personal preference isn't a thing.

Garbage like that is the real fuel of "console warz".  All my favorite games are flawed.  They all deserve criticism, they all have features that other people might not like, and I'm fine with that.  It's not big deal to just say, "okay, but I disagree."  

Climb down off your high-horse.  The game you like has things about it some people aren't crazy about.  Deal with it like an adult.  

Who is painting the game as perfect? Surely not me, it is maybe the best game I have ever played but perfect? not at all, if something I would say is way more close to whatever we call perfection than any other game on the genre I have played, BoTW can be (and will be) improved for sure.

I'm totally fine with people not liking every aspect of the game, or even not liking it at all, but this days internet has been flooded with people desperatly looking for things to blow out of proportions just to dissmiss the game because is getting better scores than their favourite games or is being released for the company we all love to hate, first was the framerate, because we all know a game without a perfect framerate cannot be a masterpiece despite the fact that The Last Of Us exists, then Jim came with his completely orquestrated and predictable clickbait review making the weapon system look almost like a gamebreaker and suddlenly that's the main argument to shit about the game, very suspicious.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
pokoko said:

Who is painting the game as perfect? Surely not me, it is maybe the best game I have ever played but perfect? not at all, if something I would say is way more close to whatever we call perfection than any other of the games on the genre I have played, BoTW can be (and will be) improved for sure.

I'm totally fine with people not liking every aspect of the game, or even not liking it at all, but this days internet has been flooded with people desperatly looking for things to blow out of proportions just to dissmiss the game, first was the framerate, because we all know a game without a perfect framerate cannot be a masterpiece despite the fact that The Last Of Us exists, then Jim came with his completely orquestrated and predictable clickbait review making the weapon system look almost like a gamebreaker and suddlenly that's the main argument to shit about the game, very suspicious.

Bullshit.  What you're trying to do is obvious.  Your line about how everyone in the world loves it except forum goers made that crystal clear.  It's just poisoning the well.  If anything is blowning things out of proportion, it's the response to criticism and the need to assassinate the character of anyone who breaks formation.

pokoko said:

Bullshit.  What you're trying to do is obvious.  Your line about how everyone in the world loves it except forum goers made that crystal clear.  It's just poisoning the well.  If anything is blowning things out of proportion, it's the response to criticism and the need to assassinate the character of anyone who breaks formation.

but its true. theres at least 100 pages just on vgchartz of ppl talking negatively about BotW and they havent even played it.. no need to mention others sites or the youtube comments section.

also check metascore and check the low user review scores (review my ass) http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/user-reviews

not even the worst games in history deserve such low scores.

the hate is real lol

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

pokoko said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Who is painting the game as perfect? Surely not me, it is maybe the best game I have ever played but perfect? not at all, if something I would say is way more close to whatever we call perfection than any other of the games on the genre I have played, BoTW can be (and will be) improved for sure.

I'm totally fine with people not liking every aspect of the game, or even not liking it at all, but this days internet has been flooded with people desperatly looking for things to blow out of proportions just to dissmiss the game, first was the framerate, because we all know a game without a perfect framerate cannot be a masterpiece despite the fact that The Last Of Us exists, then Jim came with his completely orquestrated and predictable clickbait review making the weapon system look almost like a gamebreaker and suddlenly that's the main argument to shit about the game, very suspicious.

My line is mostly about how different the perception from the game is on places like this compared to the real world, the normal people playing this game, the critics around the world, the game designers, etc, this game is being massively loved and praised everywhere yet on some places of internet looks like the game is flooded with overlooked problems or something like that, when it isn't the case at all, I have seen many coments in the last week talking about it as it was a flawed game in which you can just overlook its problems, when actually this is probably the least flawed game of its genre by a good margin, and one of the last games that deserve to be qualified as "flawed" even if it does have flaws here and there as everything in life. 

If your last coment is talking about Jim, no I'm not trying to assasinate Jim Sterling, I respect him to some degree but his clickbait nature is well known, and after the amount of recent Jimquisitions dedicated to shit about nintendo (since that's what his audience love) his review for BoTW was so predictable it was almost dissapointing coming from him, because he can be an asshole sometimes but at least he is usually very smart too, yet he was too obvious here.

SegataSanshiro said:
Acevil said:

It is cost/time heavy venture to constantly make open world setting for game. 

NES Zelda is open world so they returned to it's roots. The Oot formula was stale.

I think it also has its charm, however it has been ineffective in recent approachs. 

contestgamer said:
MTZehvor said:

Quite a few reasons, but the simplest answer is they might want to try something new (in much the same way that BotW was an attempt to do something new). As a practical example, Nintendo might want to try telling a complex narrative in a Zelda game, which isn't very easy in a game with as much freedom as BotW. Or perhaps we as consumers will eventually get somewhat tired of open world Zeldas in the same way that we eventually got tired of the traditional 3D Zelda formula beforehand. There's plenty of possible reasons why.

If BOTW had a strong narrative it would be GOAT. It doesnt because Nintendo doesnt want it to unfortunately. Witcher does it without any problems for an open world game

In short: Not quite

In long: Witcher (or more specifically, Witcher 3) does have an engaging narrative, but it's only able to function as well as it does because it has a great deal of control over when the player participates in cutscenes or dialogue trees that contribute heavily to the narrative. This is something that wouldn't work in a game with BotW's degree of freedom (where you can literally beat the game in an hour and never visit 90% of the game's world or view any story related cutscenes). Personally, I think that's probably for the better, as Geralt is already an extremely bland protagonist and I can only imagine how dull Link would be if he was given a large scale speaking role.