By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did you scratch your Switch screen?

I've had mine for almost a week without a screen protector and have yet to see a single scratch (at least any noticeable enough to see). Still will get a screen protector though but I do have to give props for how finger print resistant the screen is, and since it's plastic it's unlikely to crack.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
GoOnKid said:

Nope. I still don't understand how that is even possible.

It looks pretty easy, just whoosh your Switch into the dock really fast, it's pretty easy for some part of the plastic LCD panel to make contact with the plastic front wall of the dock. 

Do that enough times and you're going to get a scratch or several. 

I'm very careful now to make sure any time I do dock that the back of the Switch is making contact with the backside of the dock tray until it slides in place with the dock connectors. I take it in and out very slowly. 

There are no sharp edges on those plastic parts in the slot, they are rounded ( at least a little bit). If you put it in and out just normally without interpreting The Flash there is nothing to worry about. I'm not even careful when taking it out and putting it back in, I just do it. Nothing happens. Besides, why would someone slamdunk it into the dock, anyway? I think it should be common sense that if you treat your stuff like shit, your stuff's gonna look like shit sooner or later.

Trunkin said:
Wtf? The screen is plastic? I didn't even know that capacitive touch screens could be plastic. Are there any tempered glass screen protectors available yet?

The Vita screen is plastic as well. 

Plastic doesn't shatter, it's better for kids that way, a scratched screen is still usable a shattered one is tough. 

From what I've been reading, most people haven't scratched their screens yet, but better to be safe and get a screen protector

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

nope. I have screen protectors on order as well for my and my son's switches. I didn't even realize it wasn't glass, but the little bit I've used the touch has been super responsive and it looks great, so meh.

Around the Network

As I mentioned in a different post, I put a Hori screen protector on mine day one and I havent seen any evidence of markings on that whatsoever.  However,  I have noticed an ever so slight vertical mark on the back left of the unit where one of the rails would be.  Could possibly be from the dock rail....or not.  Will have to watch it I guess.

Nope, I bought a tempered glass screen protection for it

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Soundwave said:
Trunkin said:
Wtf? The screen is plastic? I didn't even know that capacitive touch screens could be plastic. Are there any tempered glass screen protectors available yet?

The Vita screen is plastic as well. 

Plastic doesn't shatter, it's better for kids that way, a scratched screen is still usable a shattered one is tough. 

Wha-??? I had no idea. Personally I'd actually prefer if all devices just came with plastic screens rather than glass. The so-called "scratch resistance" of Gorilla glass is joke. Dust in your pocket can easily scratch it, and the scratches have an unholy rainbow coloring when the screen is on. Nasty, nasty stuff. If  I'm gonna have to use a screen protector anyway, better that the built in screen is shatter resistant 

That said, do like the feel of glass, which is why I hope for a glass screen protector.

Breaks my heart watching someone intentionally breaking a console :(

GoOnKid said:

Nope. I still don't understand how that is even possible.

according to the first linked video in the OP the screen has a Mohs hardness of below 3 - finger nails are at ~2.5 on that scale and I very much expect the screens scratch hardness to be above that, so I guess it's at ~2.8

that's a pretty soft surface that will give in to friction applied by any kind of common metal alloy and many common dust particles