By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero dawn is nothing short of a masterpiece but it's the combat...

Horizon zero dawn is a masterpiece.

I agree. 235 59.19%

I disagree. 82 20.65%

Indifferent/haven't played/comments... 80 20.15%

Total:397
estebxx said:
Ali_16x said:

I agree, it has a great story but the gameplay is the best I've played in recent time, can't think of a game with better gameplay. Honestly baffled how it's not a 90+ game.
And I think it also has to do with the enemies. That's why the combat is so dynamic. The destructible parts is what makes it awesome.

EDIT: Just thought of Bloodborne because of above post but I still think it's better than Soulsborne gameplay.

Those 4 mixed reviews really stole it the chance of having a very decent 90+ score. :(

Meh, not only, the median is exactly 90, and there are more reviewers that gave it less than 90 than more than 90. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

I agree.... its great at what it does and what it does.

Its greatest strength really is the gameplay. Its even more admirable when you consider that this is the studios first take at a game like this. There are very few games that I have played that even before completion I was already eager for a sequel.

estebxx said:

I have such a big smile on my face right now.

Skyrim is a game i loved but i couldnt give a f#ck about any of the characters in it and the combat was... well... not as good as i expected, but the world however was so interesting and captivating that is the single player game i have spent the most time in, (even more than the souls games and those are games i like more).

And now you tell me that the world in Horizon is also gorgeous?... im having a hard time not starting that game today...

Edit: i assume you also mean that the world is interesting to explore, since its always been obvious that the game looks great.

I meant both, heh, though especially the artwork and the variation present in the world. There are little wrinkles like caves and ruins to play around in, and herds of robots are everywhere. It's a technical accomplishment, of course, but they've done a good job of giving it some life. 

John2290 said:
Ariakon said:

I agree. Part of my love for Bloodborne is that I'm a nut for Lovecraft so the setting earns it a lot of points, but Horizon's combat is certainly more fluid and more fun, in my opinion. 

The thing that hold bloodborne just out of my top 10 list is the camera, not sure if they have fixed it or not if they have its a ten. Still a masterpiece though and I too love when lovecraft is blended into a game or media. Have you seen True detective?

One of those shows I really want to watch. I hadn't heard that it has Lovecraftian elements before, I'm definitely pushing it to the top of my list to watch now. 

From the few days I played it extensively I have to agree it's a masterpiece. Combat, exploration and story are all excellent. I'll be back to it later. The only complaint I had was that it wouldn't let me climb over that mountain, so I'm playing the game the let me do just that first!

Good to know it only gets better after the start. Looks like I'm set for the next 2 months.

estebxx said:
Ariakon said:

I think you're in luck as those are two of my favorite aspects of the game. I would also add the world itself, which is just gorgeous to run across...

I have such a big smile on my face right now.

Skyrim is a game i loved but i couldnt give a f#ck about any of the characters in it and the combat was... well... not as good as i expected, but the world however was so interesting and captivating that is the single player game i have spent the most time in, (even more than the souls games and those are games i like more).

And now you tell me that the world in Horizon is also gorgeous?... im having a hard time not starting that game today...

Edit: i assume you also mean that the world is interesting to explore, since its always been obvious that the game looks great.

The world is amazing, they built it so well. But yes, the graphics will also blow you away. Horizon world reminds me of Game of Thrones.

Around the Network

The stealth aspect of it is just a tool, not a main focus in the mechanics of the game. And only works on certain enemies in certain circumstances, which is why its not so elaborated. Cause it doesnt need it. In most cases is just so that you can get closer and thats it. Its much more entertaining to go against a Trampler full rambo with a ropecaster, tripcaster or sling.

Nautilus said:
katakpisang said:
yeah like BOTW which is not deserved to be at 10/10 score and should be at least 9.8/10 and horizon should be lower than 89 metascore around 85 is perfect for game that caliber same as ubisoft open world game.

Please, if you dont have anything meningful to add, just dont post.Starting a flame war is not going to help anyone.

I have noticed that this guy has been on a rampage lately against H:ZD it is crazy smh....well he in geral has never really had anything good to say about anything Sony.....anything outside of Nin honestly....

OT:

Ugggghhhh I can't wait to pick this game up this weekend!!!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Mummelmann said:

It's a technical masterpiece for sure but story and narration is not all that, some of the acting is wonky and combat against humans is downright boring, so it's not really anywhere near a 10/10 for me.
There are also very few sidequests, and those there are vary very little, they're usually "talk to person A, wants you to track person B, use Focus and find tracks, follow tracks into inevitable encounter, return to person A and get XP and a box of shit rewards like Wire and Wood".

Combat against robots is a lot more fun, but the game is poorly balanced, you're overpowered at the beginning, especially if you choose the Silent Strike skill early on, then the middle is more challenging, especially against flying foes, but after a few hours you're back to being OP, Tear arrows rend even Thunderjaw useless in half a minute. Not to mention AI is really, really poor, many enemies turn and run when you climb onto a 5' tall rock, allowing free shots at their backs, they don't notice when you stealth kill someone 3' away and humans can be lured into huge piles of corpses without ever seeing you. Also, despite all the different tools, you can take down any foe with convential and simple means, I've literally never used the Ropecaster or the traps in real combat, there's really no need.

It's a great game but it has quite a few weaknesses.

Well that is extremely disappointing to read. I'm playing on the hardest setting and so far combat is for lack of a better term, dull, because of how easy the AI is and how OP you are. But I just came out from the mountain, so I'm still early. I hoped it would get better and more challenging but it sounds like it only does for a short period of time. Agreed about the AI as well. At least early on, it's really really underwhelming.

Too many of these open world Ubi style games lately have suffered this same problem where you become too OP early on. At least in the case of Horizon maybe the narrative will make up for it.

This is the best looking and best playing game I have played this generation, and is now sittng right next to Gran Tutismo, Mario 64, and The Last of Us as games that are bench mark moments in my gaming history.

I have never played a 3rd person shooting/action game that felt this good. It is so much better than Uncharted and Gears, and those where my favorites prior to this. It is like Ratchet and Clank in the shear madness that you can get going on when combining weapons. Yet it has the perfected anolog controls from Guerrillas Killzone experience. I absolutely loved every moment of combat over the 50+ hours I played.

The story was also on another level. This is among my favorite Stories of all time now. So kuch different than anything else, and so well told. I can't wait to see where they take Aloy next.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

For me personally HZD:
gameplay 10/10
graphics 10/10
music 10/10
story 10/10
fun factor 10/10

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE