By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero dawn is nothing short of a masterpiece but it's the combat...

Horizon zero dawn is a masterpiece.

I agree. 235 59.19%

I disagree. 82 20.65%

Indifferent/haven't played/comments... 80 20.15%

Total:397
Kerotan said:
Nautilus said:

Oh please.While I wont say its not an RPG, it barely qualifies as one.Its more of an action adventure game than a RPG.Its an excellent game, but lets not exagerate.

Plus you really arent one to claim such a thing, specially since you said yourself that Horizon was your first game that could really qualify as an RPG.

It's more then genre defining.  It's gaming defining.  There's nothing on the market like Horizon. 

Well, at least it isnt as absurd of a claim as the last sentence.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
REDZONE said:
It has the best combat that I haved played since Bloodborne.

Thats a bold claim. Bloodborne is a national treasure but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped reading these impressions.

HZD is easily my favourite ps4 game right now and is a strong contender for the generation. GG has created something special with this game and I hope we get even more in the future. A quick list of pros and cons imo.
Combat-challenging and engaging. The sheer thrill of taking down mechanical dinosaurs is awesome, with enoigh variety to keep you on your toes while still using lots of your tools and brains.
VA-some of the best I've ever seen in an open world game. Aloy is authentic and delivers her lines perfectly. Only a few characters I've encountered have missed the mark, like Teb.
Story-I love how they have blended futuristic beasts with an old styled mind set. The game works so well and I enjoy how much culture is in the game.
Aloy-she is a breathe of fresh air as far as protagonist go. So much to love about her. Reminds me of Nariko in a way which is in no sense a bad thing imo.
Weapons, gear, skill tree, modifications and crafting. They all work well and can add some variance off the start depending how you want to play. Nothing so far feels like wasted skills or resources. Only tip I'll offer is to look at what is required to upgrade your bags first. Saves you a lot of time and inventory management.

Cons

Emotionals choices-I have yet to notice if they effect the game in any tangible way. Seems like it only changes dialogue into how you want to feel while controlling Aloy.
Fighting Humans-just overall not as intense as dino battling. While they aren't push overs, the combat isn't nearly as strategic. Plus the A.I. doesn't seem to be as intelligent as the dinos. But that could be a normal difficulty setting issue more than anything.

Final note. This game is a must try for anyone who is even remotely interested in playing it. GG has poured a ton of love into this game and it shows immensely. Their best game yet and such a valuable I.P. for Sony.

estebxx said:
REDZONE said:

All the talk about the combat really makes me excited, there are 2 things that are the most important aspects of a game for me, the combat/gameplay and the characters and if the game excels at them then i will most surely love it even if everything else is subpar, so im really hoping Aloy is a great protagonist.

Thing is,I think the biggest surprise is the story and how it is told,especially if u pick up the little notes and voice notes,you really start to feel for the characters.

Mystro-Sama said:
REDZONE said:

Thats a bold claim. Bloodborne is a national treasure but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped reading these impressions.

Yeah it is a bold claim.The way you approach fights is totally up to,lay traps stealth or guns blazing but the real battles are the larger fights,then all he'll breaks loose.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
dahuman said:
Can we uh, not bring more Zelda in here like the OP requested? lol. Anyways, I'd totally play this game if I had a PS4, but I'm still waiting for the review score on TLoU2 before I decide if I want the console or not. As good as the game looks though, I want GG to step out of their comfort zone when it comes to art style and make something more unique, the general feel on the art is still too much like KZ in a different package IMO, pretty but forgettable.

You are going to be waiting along while buddy lol

yep :-/

jonathanalis said:
After zelda, i think there are new standard from what we can expect from open world
it can truly be a masterpiece for a game pre-zelda. luckily it release a little earlier.
But it could have been even better.
If care to watch, here a comparison. now ill miss that when i play horizon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGWtyJAkO0
I really hope all games for now use the new zelda standard for open world.

Interesting comparison videos.  I think if you cherrypick it's easy to also find many things Horizon does very well that BoTW lacks, for example climbing in Horizon is like an Uncharted; climbing in BoTW looks like an N64 game.

My 8th gen collection

Kerotan said:
dahuman said:
Can we uh, not bring more Zelda in here like the OP requested? lol. Anyways, I'd totally play this game if I had a PS4, but I'm still waiting for the review score on TLoU2 before I decide if I want the console or not. As good as the game looks though, I want GG to step out of their comfort zone when it comes to art style and make something more unique, the general feel on the art is still too much like KZ in a different package IMO, pretty but forgettable.

While it's your choice and by the time it happens you'll either get a regular ps4 for $200 or a Pro for $299 thus saving money.  But Horizon is nothing like killzone.  You might aswell say it's like resistance or halo for that matter.  

While I'm a big fan of the killzone series if you didn't already know you'd never think these two series had the same developer! 

I'm talking about the way the art and the world is done, I feel like they have more potential than what they can currently offer if they can break out of that shell. You are right in that I wouldn't have known, but since I know, I want more.

ICStats said:
jonathanalis said:
After zelda, i think there are new standard from what we can expect from open world
it can truly be a masterpiece for a game pre-zelda. luckily it release a little earlier.
But it could have been even better.
If care to watch, here a comparison. now ill miss that when i play horizon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGWtyJAkO0
I really hope all games for now use the new zelda standard for open world.

Interesting comparison videos.  I think if you cherrypick it's easy to also find many things Horizon does very well that BoTW lacks, for example climbing in Horizon is like an Uncharted; climbing in BoTW looks like an N64 game.

huh? just ignore that post ICStats, this is not a Zelda thread, just ignore it please, you are not making it better.

Nautilus said:
Kerotan said:

It's more then genre defining.  It's gaming defining.  There's nothing on the market like Horizon. 

Well, at least it isnt as absurd of a claim as the last sentence.

Not absurd but in the end it's a greater compliment