By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero dawn is nothing short of a masterpiece but it's the combat...

Horizon zero dawn is a masterpiece.

I agree. 235 59.19%

I disagree. 82 20.65%

Indifferent/haven't played/comments... 80 20.15%

Total:397
dahuman said:
Kerotan said:

While it's your choice and by the time it happens you'll either get a regular ps4 for $200 or a Pro for $299 thus saving money.  But Horizon is nothing like killzone.  You might aswell say it's like resistance or halo for that matter.  

While I'm a big fan of the killzone series if you didn't already know you'd never think these two series had the same developer! 

I'm talking about the way the art and the world is done, I feel like they have more potential than what they can currently offer if they can break out of that shell. You are right in that I wouldn't have known, but since I know, I want more.

Trust me when you play it you won't be reminded of killzone 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
dahuman said:

I'm talking about the way the art and the world is done, I feel like they have more potential than what they can currently offer if they can break out of that shell. You are right in that I wouldn't have known, but since I know, I want more.

Really? It doesn't remind you of Shadow Fall and some of the older titles? The color scheme, the organic parts, the mechanical parts, and the animations? I can't be the only one. Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks great, but those kinds of graphics don't have lasting impressions on me unless I go back and google them. I think the last time a game had a lasting impression on me from Sony was Uncharted 2 because it was truly unique for it's time and the only Plat I ever got, I literally can't remember what TLoU even looks like in detail anymore, only I loved it becuase of the story, presentation, and game play elements.

dahuman said:
Kerotan said:

Really? It doesn't remind you of Shadow Fall and some of the older titles? The color scheme, the organic parts, the mechanical parts, and the animations? I can't be the only one. Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks great, but those kinds of graphics don't have lasting impressions on me unless I go back and google them. I think the last time a game had a lasting impression on me from Sony was Uncharted 2 because it was truly unique for it's time and the only Plat I ever got, I literally can't remember what TLoU even looks like in detail anymore, only I loved it becuase of the story, presentation, and game play elements.

Lol you'll understand when you play it.  I'm a massive killzone fan and that series didn't come into my mind once. I'm struggling to comprehend that the same devs made both games. 

I started it a few days before Zelda and 100% already. I was hooked enough that it delayed my starting of BotW.

The story really takes a deep tragic twist starting with the Makers End quest.

It still kinda haunts me days later but I'm a sucker for post apocalypse, religion, and origin of life stories in video games.  I love this shit. Horizon managed to tickle that funny spot that usually only top notch JRPGs can. Corral the player into some cliche preconception about the backstory, then piecemeal morsels of doubt as you approachthe climax, them the stunning revelation that you didn't see coming hits you like a truck.

All presented with emotional voice acting, superb cinematography, heart breaking music, slow motion vista pans and lighting effects in perfect sync with background music crescendos.  Some of the end scenes had a drifty heart aching yearning feel with a Dances with Wolves or Last of the Mohicans quality to them.  It was amazing feelz and not even a JRPG. I left the title music on loop in the background for hours after completing it.

Definitely an unexpected and unconventional twist at the end, and shows the difference between taking your time and allowing studios the time, budget, and creativity to pursue new IP and vs cancelling everything to make more space Marine shooter HD remasters.

One of my favorite Sony IPS since Ni no Kuni and The Last of Us.

dahuman said:
Kerotan said:

It is nothing -at all- like Killzone. It doesn't feel the same way. It doesn't play the same way. Nothing about this game reminds me of Killzone at all.

Around the Network

I don't know when I'll get around to it. So far behind. I just bumped Hitman to the front of the queue. Horizon will probably get the same treatment in....the spring?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I'm not done the game yet (taking my sweet, sweet time) but it's been amazing so far. The game is certainly above a 90 for me and if it keeps going like this I could certainly see it being a 95 game. Maybe my favorite game since TLOU.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

"But Zelda.."  Exactly this.  Love Zero Dawn, but it's no BOTW.

I'm playing Zelda right now, but this is a potential system seller for me! It's looking great!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

physics on this game is a joke compared to BOTW

User Moderated - think-man