By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero dawn is nothing short of a masterpiece but it's the combat...

Horizon zero dawn is a masterpiece.

I agree. 235 59.19%

I disagree. 82 20.65%

Indifferent/haven't played/comments... 80 20.15%

Total:397

Delete

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I'm only at 77% completion and I have yet to platinum however, I don't need to (I will), to know that this is one heck of a special game. The combat is the most dynamic and emergent outside of a multiplayer game beating even MGS5's battles scenarios. The graphics are objectively the best in an open world on console and yet it runs super smootly and none of it is preset, it's all dynamic aside from some non interactive foliage and water (IMO, forgiveable) and speaking of the foliage my god it is dense and the draw distance almost never fails to extend line of sight. The sound is again, brilliant and even though it's not using high detail 3d, binaural sound design this game already pushes enough and gets it near perfect in stereo and already established techniques. Voice acting, animation, story, themes, length, pacing...I can't think of an aspect of this game that isn't done to an extreme level of polish and noticable TLC by the devs. They even perfectly (Although, I read they got called out on "cultural appropriation") eleminate sterotypes, and without pandering to the SJW's of the world, impliment it all so you don't even notice the lack of these things unless you analysie it. 

This game is a 10/10 for me. Would you agree that it is a masterpiece. 

Oh, and this is a horizon thread. Playstation. No need to bring other games into this or pit them against each other. Wink, wink. 

No. A masterpiece is a game that defines a generation like OOT. BOTW is a masterpiece. Horizon would fall into the "great game" category imo.

After zelda, i think there are new standard from what we can expect from open world
it can truly be a masterpiece for a game pre-zelda. luckily it release a little earlier.
But it could have been even better.
If care to watch, here a comparison. now ill miss that when i play horizon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGWtyJAkO0
I really hope all games for now use the new zelda standard for open world.

Yeah this game is genre defining. It has taken rpgs to a new level

John2290 said:

I'm only at 77% completion and I have yet to platinum however, I don't need to (I will), to know that this is one heck of a special game. The combat is the most dynamic and emergent outside of a multiplayer game beating even MGS5's battles scenarios. The graphics are objectively the best in an open world on console and yet it runs super smootly and none of it is preset, it's all dynamic aside from some non interactive foliage and water (IMO, forgiveable) and speaking of the foliage my god it is dense and the draw distance almost never fails to extend line of sight. The sound is again, brilliant and even though it's not using high detail 3d, binaural sound design this game already pushes enough and gets it near perfect in stereo and already established techniques. Voice acting, animation, story, themes, length, pacing...I can't think of an aspect of this game that isn't done to an extreme level of polish and noticable TLC by the devs. They even perfectly (Although, I read they got called out on "cultural appropriation") eleminate sterotypes, and without pandering to the SJW's of the world, impliment it all so you don't even notice the lack of these things unless you analysie it. 

This game is a 10/10 for me. Would you agree that it is a masterpiece. 

Oh, and this is a horizon thread. Playstation. No need to bring other games into this or pit them against each other. Wink, wink. 

Haven't played but I've heard fantastic things about the gameplay. Funny enough I just watched the GOT episode where your sig is from and went that looks like Aloy! How's the VA? I heard Ashly Burch was the voice behind Aloy? Awesome.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Oh please.While I wont say its not an RPG, it barely qualifies as one.Its more of an action adventure game than a RPG.Its an excellent game, but lets not exagerate.

Plus you really arent one to claim such a thing, specially since you said yourself that Horizon was your first game that could really qualify as an RPG.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Can we uh, not bring more Zelda in here like the OP requested? lol. Anyways, I'd totally play this game if I had a PS4, but I'm still waiting for the review score on TLoU2 before I decide if I want the console or not. As good as the game looks though, I want GG to step out of their comfort zone when it comes to art style and make something more unique, the general feel on the art is still too much like KZ in a different package IMO, pretty but forgettable.

dahuman said:
Can we uh, not bring more Zelda in here like the OP requested? lol. Anyways, I'd totally play this game if I had a PS4, but I'm still waiting for the review score on TLoU2 before I decide if I want the console or not. As good as the game looks though, I want GG to step out of their comfort zone when it comes to art style and make something more unique, the general feel on the art is still too much like KZ in a different package IMO, pretty but forgettable.

You are going to be waiting along while buddy lol

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Kerotan said:

Oh please.While I wont say its not an RPG, it barely qualifies as one.Its more of an action adventure game than a RPG.Its an excellent game, but lets not exagerate.

Plus you really arent one to claim such a thing, specially since you said yourself that Horizon was your first game that could really qualify as an RPG.

It's more then genre defining.  It's gaming defining.  There's nothing on the market like Horizon. 

dahuman said:

While it's your choice and by the time it happens you'll either get a regular ps4 for $200 or a Pro for $299 thus saving money.  But Horizon is nothing like killzone.  You might aswell say it's like resistance or halo for that matter.  

While I'm a big fan of the killzone series if you didn't already know you'd never think these two series had the same developer!