By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the Switch Dock Need A Redesign?

Yes. The switch dock needs a re-design. There's no reason for it to have any reasonable potential to scratch the screen. Furthermore, it should allow the switch to be docked horizontally for those with limited space in their entertainment centers. Also, the controller wrist straps need a redesign so that they can be accidentally inserted on the wrong switch controller and still be taken off without practically destroying something. That's something kids are going to mess up weekly, and is going to cause parents major headaches.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
If you throw your smart phone off a 300 foot building, it's going to break. Should we also redesign our phones to withstand such a drop?

What the fuck is this analogy?

The switch screen itself is getting scratched from casual use just by docking it.

Please tell me this is a bait.

RolStoppable said:
iron_megalith said:

What the fuck is this analogy?

The switch screen itself is getting scratched from casual use just by docking it.

Please tell me this is a bait.

The analogy sounds terrible, but it is actually not that far off from reality. The pictures of scratched Switch screens that are floating around seem to be the result of deliberate damage, not normal usage of the hardware. A NeoGAF user tried to replicate the damage by docking/undocking his Switch dozens of times at various angles and variable force, yet didn't get anything close to the pictures.

Bristow9091 said:

Yeah, sad but true... 

The dock is designed to cover the screen in order to make it clear that Switch is not another Wii U. There is no two-screen gaming on Switch, but an uncovered screen while docked could give the impression that there is.

So are you telling me that DigitalFoundry was lying when they warned people of possible scratching because they said they scratched theirs?

We could argue which of the pictures are true. In the end, there's no denying that due to the poor dock build it has a possibility of scratching the Switch' screen.

Honestly, the more I see of Switch, the more I see how poorly thought out the design is. There's stabilty issues with portable joycons. Charging while using a kickstand is impossible as of now. A minor and dumb thing is not including a god damn browser for it. Goodluck connecting to wifi with a web login verification. List goes on.

I know some of these are idiotic and basically the users fault, but that part where people were ripping their nails out trying to remove a stuck part was absolutely horrendous.

It's like Nintendo focused on gimmicks more than just straigtening these basic design issues that could have been addressed during its development.

taus90 said:

I actually ordered that and a Japanese New Nintendo 3DS cradle.

3DS version arrived a few days ago. Vita dock should be here on the 14th. I'm excited!

Bandorr said:
I bet redesigning it Nintendo can get it down from $90.

How anyone done a breakdown that explains why it is $90?

After seeing that it is absolutely nothing more than an HDMI port, two USB ports, a power supply port, and a USB Stick port, I'm pretty disgusted by that price.

I'm willing to bet a third party could make one for $30.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
0D0 said:
Is it really scratching the screen? If it's really happening and it's not because of misuse, then it's a true design flaw.

It is, but its worse with some docks than others.

If you look at them from the side view, some of them arnt "straight" they bend inwards, makeing getting the switch in and out is more difficult.

Anyways a screenprotector (8-10$) + felt pads (1-5$), and its fixed.

You can also get the "bent" dock, to be stretched to normal, by leaveing a fat book in it, that ll keep it more like normal, and then useing a heat gun to make it set like that.

Its most like a lottery production thingy, not all docks are made right.

Same with the joy-cons, the left one has some "hand soldered" work, and those that dont work are usually just a worker that didnt do it quite right.

Even with those cheap solutions, it still feels like bad design. About the left joycons the only thing I'd say is that Nintendo used to have better quality assurance.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

After seeing that it is absolutely nothing more than an HDMI port, two USB ports, a power supply port, and a USB Stick port, I'm pretty disgusted by that price.

The price of the dock is high to make people buy a second Switch altogether.

Hell, it just might work.

If I can find one in April, I'm getting my daughter a one with Mario Kart.

Bristow9091 said:
Bandorr said:
I bet redesigning it Nintendo can get it down from $90.

How anyone done a breakdown that explains why it is $90?

... The dock is $90?! Jesus, they're either making a fuck ton of profit, or getting severly overcharged by the manufacturers!

Come on, you know Nintendo expects consumers to suck up 90% profit margins like that, but would never themselves pay a supplier rates like that.
Even the cheap ass design seems to be implemented cheaply with different docks assembled differently (some bending in = more scratch threat).
That only happens because they went with the cheapest of cheap suppliers.

d21lewis said:

Don't forget the DRM in the dock as well.

potato_hamster said:
Yes. The switch dock needs a re-design. There's no reason for it to have any reasonable potential to scratch the screen. Furthermore, it should allow the switch to be docked horizontally for those with limited space in their entertainment centers. Also, the controller wrist straps need a redesign so that they can be accidentally inserted on the wrong switch controller and still be taken off without practically destroying something. That's something kids are going to mess up weekly, and is going to cause parents major headaches.

The Switch could do with a re-design as well. Like moving the right-hand-side control stick up to the top (Which will make mobile gaming better) and moving the USB-C port so you can actually charge the device while it's propped up via the kickstand.

A Larger screen and battery wouldn't hurt either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I dont éven understand how they didnt éven think about scratches , especially After 3ds

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m