By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the Switch Dock Need A Redesign?

AlfredoTurkey said:
If you throw your smart phone off a 300 foot building, it's going to break. Should we also redesign our phones to withstand such a drop?

You are special, aren't you. I feel stupid to even counter that, but let me fight pass my sarcasm and try to fix ur analogy. To avoid scratch on ur phone screen, Cell phone companies use gorilla glass on the screen to avoid it getting scratched from sliding it in your pocket which could be filled with keys and coins, on the other hand switch is meant to be a portable system and also be a console using the dock, in both the scenario's switch screen is like any other portable device with large screen highly susceptible to scratches, and considering how switch will be handled while docking nintendo still went ahead and used a plastic screen (not even a normal glass) which even if u clean with a microfiber cloth chances of it having scratches are sky high. this problem along with other just shows switch had a very poor QA and was rushed to the market.

Around the Network

The dock is weird. The dock covers the screen, preventing possible second screen or other possible uses of the screen. I figured there was a good reason like having a cooling fan in the dock, but it seems like the exact opposite. It's a plastic sandwich that reduces airflow to the switch.

My 8th gen collection

taus90 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
If you throw your smart phone off a 300 foot building, it's going to break. Should we also redesign our phones to withstand such a drop?

You are special, aren't you. I feel stupid to even counter that, but let me fight pass my sarcasm and try to fix ur analogy. To avoid scratch on ur phone screen, Cell phone companies use gorilla glass on the screen to avoid it getting scratched from sliding it in your pocket which could be filled with keys and coins, on the other hand switch is meant to be a portable system and also be a console using the dock, in both the scenario's switch screen is like any other portable device with large screen highly susceptible to scratches, and considering how switch will be handled while docking nintendo still went ahead and used a plastic screen (not even a normal glass) which even if u clean with a microfiber cloth chances of it having scratches are sky high. this problem along with other just shows switch had a very poor QA and was rushed to the market.

Actually I think the main reason Nintendo chose plastic is because the screen won't shatter. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMgv9hHmrY

A scratched screen is preferable to a shattered screen, especially for kids I think. That said the dock design is not great. Vita has a plastic screen too I think. 

SegataSanshiro said:
Only to have some padding to prevent it from scratching. Small foam strip will do the trick. Nothing more than that.

nope even that is not going to help, coz the nintendo is using plastic screen which is the worst type of protection for a touch screen, infact even with a normal glass u will have some sort of protection, coz even cleaning it with a micro fiber cloth u will end up with fine scratches on the screen. Nintendo doesnt need to redesign the dock or anything they just need add a high quality tempered screen with every nintendo switch. 

taus90 said:
SegataSanshiro said:
Only to have some padding to prevent it from scratching. Small foam strip will do the trick. Nothing more than that.

nope even that is not going to help, coz the nintendo is using plastic screen which is the worst type of protection for a touch screen, infact even with a normal glass u will have some sort of protection, coz even cleaning it with a micro fiber cloth u will end up with fine scratches on the screen. Nintendo doesnt need to redesign the dock or anything they just need add a high quality tempered screen with every nintendo switch. 

Glass breaks though, especially with kids, I think that was the reasoning behind it. Even the Vita does not use glass. 

Just get rid of that front plastic flap or change the design of the dock. It doesn't need to even be there. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
taus90 said:

Glass breaks though, especially with kids, I think that was the reasoning behind it. Even the Vita does not use glass. 

Just get rid of that front plastic flap or change the design of the dock. It doesn't need to even be there. 

They could have not been cheap and went with gorilla glass. Or not went cheap and made a low-quality plastic dock. Or not went cheap and allow people to use USB-C to HDMI adapters which are far cheaper for consumers than the dock. I am enjoying my Switch as a portable device, but there seems to be a growing trend with a lot of head-scratching corner-cutting cheap moves by Nintendo in the design of this whole thing. I'm leaning towards returning mine and watching for both more software and what I consider a pretty obvious hardware redesign in the dock and other aspects of the system soon enough.

Soundwave said:
taus90 said:

Actually I think the main reason Nintendo chose plastic is because the screen won't shatter. 

A scratched screen is preferable to a shattered screen, especially for kids I think. That said the dock design is not great. Vita has a plastic screen too I think. 

sure i agree plastic is more efficient than a normal glass in handling shock from a drop, but considering the bezel are so thick the chances of having a crack on the screen from a drop on the sides are very slim. The only reason i can think of is that nintendo went with a plastic screen instead of a glass, is to not make it heavy, coz Dragon tail glass or other local scratch proof glasses are cheap and are being produced on massive scale. And yes even vita (oled) has a a plastic screen not sure about the new slim one, but vita wasnt designed to be slided in a dock which will have contact on its screen. Nintendo just needs to add a tempered glass protector with every switch

Gorilla Glass still breaks, I've seen plenty of shattered Gorilla Glass screens. Ultimately a game system with a scratched screen is still usable, one with a shattered screen -- not so much. 

So I think that was the right call design wise. The design of the dock though, personally I think it's bloated because they want to make it seem like it's a "console" and it's doing something when really it's not doing anything really but outputting the HDMI signal. It's 70% wasted space and has an unneccessary plastic "holder" that could scratch the screen if you're not very careful. Unneccessary. 

taus90 said:
Soundwave said:

sure i agree plastic is more efficient than a normal glass in handling shock from a drop, but considering the bezel are so thick the chances of having a crack on the screen from a drop on the sides are very slim. The only reason i can think of is that nintendo went with a plastic screen instead of a glass, is to not make it heavy, coz Dragon tail glass or other local scratch proof glasses are cheap and are being produced on massive scale. And yes even vita (oled) has a a plastic screen not sure about the new slim one, but vita wasnt designed to be slided in a dock which will have contact on its screen. Nintendo just needs to add a tempered glass protector with every switch

Or just remove the completely pointless flap of plastic on the dock. Like it's just pointless, why change the screen for something that is easier to shatter, likely more expensive, and heavier when you could just remove the flap and not have the screen in any danger of being scratched period. 

That seems to me more common sensical. 

BeatdownBrigade said:
Soundwave said:

They could have not been cheap and went with gorilla glass. Or not went cheap and made a low-quality plastic dock. Or not went cheap and allow people to use USB-C to HDMI adapters which are far cheaper for consumers than the dock. I am enjoying my Switch as a portable device, but there seems to be a growing trend with a lot of head-scratching corner-cutting cheap moves by Nintendo in the design of this whole thing. I'm leaning towards returning mine and watching for both more software and what I consider a pretty obvious hardware redesign in the dock and other aspects of the system soon enough.

i think its just a poor design choice on nintendo's part, considering the motherboard in the dock is not even 30% of the entire dock size, so the next iteration will be heavily focuced on dock. coz right now with a simple glass protector this issue can be curbed.