By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the Switch Dock Need A Redesign?

Seeing as how people are reporting some scratches on the screen, also from tear downs it's been shown the dock is basically just a large hunk of plastic. 

It's also needlessly large I think, it'd be better if it was smaller and more portable for times where you want to take your dock with you to some one else's home or if you're going on vacation and wouldn't mind playing on the hotel HDTV. 

A dock more like this I think would work better:

No way to really scratch the screen and easier to dock/undock I feel. 

What's even the point of having that piece of plastic on the Switch dock? It doesn't really do anything but potentially scratch the LCD. I think Nintendo made the dock purposely bigger than it had to be to make it look more like a console component, but there's nothing inside that dock basically, it's a waste of plastic. 

Around the Network

If you throw your smart phone off a 300 foot building, it's going to break. Should we also redesign our phones to withstand such a drop?

Needs to be lower profile. Having more USB ports wouldn't be a bad thing either... If they bother to include external Hard Drive and Multimedia support that is.

I wouldn't also mind a dock with a high-quality 4k upscaler and/or a 4k Blu-Ray Rom drive would be nice.

If they do a Switch-refresh at the same time... They should also place the USB-C port on the back, sides or top of the handheld. Putting it on the bottom is stupid, especially if you wish to use the kickstand and charge the Switch at the same time.

AlfredoTurkey said:
If you throw your smart phone off a 300 foot building, it's going to break. Should we also redesign our phones to withstand such a drop?

How did you make the jump from casually scratching the switch with regular mechanical action and connecting that to throwing it off a 300 foot building?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

AlfredoTurkey said:

Throwing your phone off a 300 foot building is not central to it's main functionality.

Docking/undocking the Switch unit is something that many people will do 1-2+ times a day. 

I understand having support from both sides, but they should have made the front half mobile to some degree so that you could basically open the dock, settle the switch, then raise the front of the dock back to a locking position. You get all the snugness the dock is aiming for while substantially minimizing the risk of scratching.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

That is in no way even slightly comparable, unless you know a company that actually advertises throwing the thing off of buildings as a feature.

I like the idea for how it covers the screen, but as long as it doesn't scratch the screen, I then I don't think it really needs one

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I like the current design. It just needs to have something to prevent scratches.

I'd honestly prefer to see something in the GPU to increase the performance of the game

Yeah the dock design is kinda weird. You could argue it's that way to protect from dust but for that it's not deep enough in there and not covered anyway.

Would be cool to have something where you slide in the tablet completely like a NES cartidge and then put the joycons on top of it instead having to fully attach them to the tablet just to charge.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Only to have some padding to prevent it from scratching. Small foam strip will do the trick. Nothing more than that.