Forums - Gaming Discussion - You dont realize how good this gen looks compared to last gen!

The Jump from SNES to N64 was the biggest jump I think I'll ever see. We are in the times of diminishing returns. This obsession with graphics is going to remove more AAA developers from the industry next generation. Nintendo has the correct approach, focusing on new ways to play is more sustainable.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

Around the Network

I like how we're specifically using the worst Skyrim port job vs a1st part exclusive that was very specifically tailored to only one single system.

Should really compare the same multiplat to another multiplat, the same franchise with the enw gen, and of course differences between each and the PC.

Geralt said:

Those who are were underwhelmed by this generation I advise you to go back to playing gears of war 3 or Gran turismo 5 or something and look how much this gen has improved!

Those who are underwhelmed aren't on PS4.

ive been thinking a lot lately about how Sonys first party developers have made an excellent case for what optimization and efficiency can do. Look at everything AAA Multiplat games are leaving on the table compared to the graphical fidelity of something like The Order, Uncharted 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn on a measily 1.8tf GPU and a laptop processor.

Btw no jaggies on my screen d:

Anyway, more and more power is slowly becoming redundant. I do agree with you though, this gen looks marvelous compared to last gen.

I am quite impressed by the PS4 less by the XBox One, but Forza and Gears have been amazing.
The PS4 pro is dissapointing to me but I expect the Scorpio to be a big comeback from Microsoft on the power deparment.

Its proberbly going to be more powerful then my pc until I replace the graphics card. Uncharted 4, Horizon, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of war are all great ways to see how for we have come this generation in terms of graphics.

Early on Killzone and Infamous but most deffnitely Ryse already showed it was gonna be a step up.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Honestly, a lot of the complaints about the generational leap in power this gen are nothing new. People were talking about "diminishing returns" over a decade ago during the transition to Gen 7, and I remember seeing a bunch of complaints early last gen about the games not looking too much better than 6th-gen games. Hell, I remember not being that impressed by what I saw of the launch window games for the PS2 I saw back in late 2000/early 2001, though considering what I saw on the GC, Xbox, and even the much weaker Dreamcast, that obviously could be chalked up to the developers simply not making good use of the PS2's capabilities.

But aside from those early PS2 games, I remember seeing games like Soul Calibur, Rogue Squadron II, and Halo CE and thinking they blew away everything I saw on the N64 and PS1. The first time I saw the 360's games in action back in late '05, I immediately noticed how much better they looked than anything on any prior system, even a game like Halo 2 that pushed the OXbox to its limits. And this generation, there are many games that make even the best-looking last-gen games look primitive by comparison. I dare anyone to look at games like Battlefront, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, and Gears 4 and say it isn't a huge jump.

However, while talk of diminishing returns in game graphics have always been highly exaggerated, it is not without basis. The rate of increase in computing power over the past 20 years has slowed down considerably. The PS3's GPU was 2000 times more powerful than the N64's. That's a huge jump for a decade. But if we saw another 2000 times increase in GPU power from 2006 to 2016, the Pro's GPU would have been a whopping 800 TFLOPS instead of 4.2. Needless to say, 800 TFLOPS is a loooong way out, and we haven't even hit the 20 TFLOP mark for commercial GPUs yet.

Diminishing returns in processing power are going to, and arguably already have, result in diminishing returns for graphics. There is still a ton of improvements to be made, and graphics have definitely not even come close to hitting their peaks. We still have the prospect of games running at native 4K and 60fps and still putting anything out today to shame. There are still areas like draw distances & pop-in, aliasing/jaggies, lighting, and animation that could see absolutely massive improvements. But those advances are going to take longer to come about. The kind of increases that used to take five years could take ten or fifteen years. And eventually, the advances in graphics will reach a point where any future improvements will be so minuscule as to be practically unnoticeable. "Realistic" graphics will eventually get as realistic as they can, whether it be perfect photorealism or a damn good approximation thereof.

Honestly, this subject deserves a lot more time than I can give it right now, but it's a fact of life that there are always limits to growth, and that goes for computing power. Nobody should have expected the rates of increase we saw in past decades to continue at the same pace forever.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
It is, but still a lot less evolution if compared with Ps1 to ps2 or ps2 to ps3. Or even nes to snes

It's defenitly bigger than from NES to SNES, especially open world games like Horizon look a lot better than any open world game on PS3. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Chazore said:

I like how we're specifically using the worst Skyrim port job vs a1st part exclusive that was very specifically tailored to only one single system.

Should really compare the same multiplat to another multiplat, the same franchise with the enw gen, and of course differences between each and the PC.

This better?

Ofcourse screenshots don't show most of the difference. Dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, better animation, grass and trees blowing in the wind, improved physics, moving water, reflections, atmospheric effects.

One of CGI-Quality's gifs displays it better

SvennoJ said:
Chazore said:

This better?

Top one has an indictor, the bottom one just has the logo.

We could also use these: 

well, if it took this long to realize the difference, maybe it was a gradual difference, do, do not had the same impact as other gens.

SvennoJ said:
Chazore said:

This better?

Ofcourse screenshots don't show most of the difference. Dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, better animation, grass and trees blowing in the wind, improved physics, moving water, reflections, atmospheric effects.

One of CGI-Quality's gifs displays it better

Part of me honestly wonders if you really need graphics much better than the above. That looks like a fairly realistic depiction of a forest. How much more is needed? Having a game that looks just like reality isn't going to be great anyway IMO. 

For a company like Nintendo I almost think the above would the maximum type of horsepower they'd ever need. Their games would basically begin to look like the CG renders they use.