Forums - Gaming Discussion - You dont realize how good this gen looks compared to last gen!

Soundwave said:
SvennoJ said:

Part of me honestly wonders if you really need graphics much better than the above. That looks like a fairly realistic depiction of a forest. How much more is needed? Having a game that looks just like reality isn't going to be great anyway IMO. 

For a company like Nintendo I almost think the above would the maximum type of horsepower they'd ever need. Their games would basically begin to look like the CG renders they use. 

I find the issue with those that try to aim for reality type visuals as those that also tend to age pretty fast and not as gracefully as those that choose an art style that hardly ever ages. 

The Skyrim shot from a while ago was a bad example because Skyrim in general has not aged well at all, hardly many bethesda games have in general. it's why the vanilla game needs mods in order to pretty it up to today's standards.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Part of me honestly wonders if you really need graphics much better than the above. That looks like a fairly realistic depiction of a forest. How much more is needed? Having a game that looks just like reality isn't going to be great anyway IMO. 

For a company like Nintendo I almost think the above would the maximum type of horsepower they'd ever need. Their games would basically begin to look like the CG renders they use. 

It's not about needing though. Zelda has stolen me away completely from HZD. Doesn't matter what it looks like (it's beautiful too) as long as it's good enough to sell the illusion of a living breathing world. Keeping it a bit abstract or stylized makes it easier to draw attention to 'oddities' ie hiding little puzzles in plain sight. Make it too realistic and you need those ugly outlines to highlight objects you can interact with.

Ofcourse rendering BotW in 4K60 would be welcome, and there's no shame in better textures or running the game in VR :)

SvennoJ said:

Well this is Skyrim on ps3

HZD on ps4

Not to mention from what i have seen the gameplay on Horizon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skyrims boring gameplay (i am talking just about the combat btw).

And i put 250 hours on Skyrim even got the platinum for it, so no im not hating on a game i do like a lot, im just giving an honest opinion.

lionpetercarmoo said:

Yeah guys theirs absolutely nooooo difference.

So, 5-10x more processing power roughly equals to 50%-100% noticeable increase in visual improvement. Diminishing returns is a bitch.

SvennoJ said:
Soundwave said:

It's not about needing though. Zelda has stolen me away completely from HZD.

Good! I'm not the only one!

Graphics are always important but, when I think of my favorite games of all time, hardly any had the absolute best graphics of their day. They were just absorbing, fun experiences. The prettiest will always get the attention but it takes more than that to hold my attention.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Around the Network

30 fps still sucks though.