Forums - Gaming Discussion - You dont realize how good this gen looks compared to last gen!

For whatever reason, the PlayStation half of my sig doesn't update anymore. It hasn't for months. If it did, you would see that I play PS3 games as well as Xbox 360 games quite often. Anyway, I have every 7th and 8th gen console connected to a 4K and I jump between generations, at least weekly. I'm never jarred by the jump. Aside from how slow last gen dashboards are, that is.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate a good 4K image and a great frame rate. Good textures and lighting are also a plus. Last gen still looks good. Damn good.

Going from 7th gen to 6th? Huge jump. 6th gen to 5th? Huge jump. 5th gen to 4th? Incredible difference. 8th gen to 7th? It's alright.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
On a technical level it is a large improvement, especially now that we're 3+ years into the gen. But I think the law of diminishing returns has truly kicked in, leading to the improvements being underwhelming. We shouldn't have to go back to the old games to see the difference. It should be obvious like the first time we saw Rogue Leader, Halo, or Gears of War, and very few current gen games have managed that, not because they aren't technically much better than older games, but because it takes more for the improvements to be noticeable than it used to.

For many people, the jump was obvious with Ryse: Son Of Rome and Killzone: Shadowfall. It's far more obvious, now.

It always doesn't look much of a difference when you go forward. Only when you look back you realize how much has improved.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

On a 65" 4K television going back and forth the details are very noticeable in models. Uncharted is a good example to see how characters improved.

If only proper font size for screentext was a serious topic for developers, then I could be happy. I have no idea what the developers of Breath of the Wild were thinking when deciding on the font size for the names of NPCs. What these NPCs say is displayed at a reasonable size, but their names are tiny.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

With bigger higher resolution screens the differences become more pronounced.

Especially if we start talking 4k and 60" and larger displays... The 720P and below on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 makes me want to gauge my eyes out with a hot poker iron.

7th gen has not aged well graphically.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

It is, but still a lot less evolution if compared with Ps1 to ps2 or ps2 to ps3. Or even nes to snes

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

d21lewis said:

For whatever reason, the PlayStation half of my sig doesn't update anymore. It hasn't for months. If it did, you would see that I play PS3 games as well as Xbox 360 games quite often. Anyway, I have every 7th and 8th gen console connected to a 4K and I jump between generations, at least weekly. I'm never jarred by the jump. Aside from how slow last gen dashboards are, that is.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate a good 4K image and a great frame rate. Good textures and lighting are also a plus. Last gen still looks good. Damn good.

Going from 7th gen to 6th? Huge jump. 6th gen to 5th? Huge jump. 5th gen to 4th? Incredible difference. 8th gen to 7th? It's alright.

Go to your trophies on your ps4 and click on them. Wait for the sinc. Works for me.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Qwark said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

Yeah guys theirs absolutely nooooo difference.

The one on the right does miss a logo has a lot more blue in it and is a lot darker;)

Haha well spotted.  Ps3 versions superior confirmed! 

matheusbrito02 said:
I was playing Deus Ex MD on my Xbone, then I dicided to play the previous game, Human Revolution by retrocomp. It's so... blur, feels like I need to use glasses.

This, just finished replaying Human Revolution after finishing Mankind Divided on my PS4, the differences are huge.