By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: Switch vs PS4! Dragon Quest Heroes 2 Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

FloatingWaffles said:

God damn, that's a bad port. 

This doesn't say anything or indicate anything about what a multiplatform game will look like on the PS4 and Switch. We still gotta wait until we see a game that was built from the ground up for both at the same time.

This just seems to have been a lazy and quick port to have something at launch. 

Its been widely reported how incredibly easy it is to develop for Switch and we know it has shared memory of 25.6GB/s so we can compare the total amount of data the Switch can move which puts it below last gen ps3/360. It's identical in memory bandwidth to the xbox 360 except the 360 also had memory bandwidth of 256GB/s for 10MB of memory. PS3 had 25.6GB/s and 19.2GB/s and wii u has 12.8GB/s  for main memory and about 60GB/s for its 32MB of eram. So the Switch sits between wii u and 360/ps3 overall in the maximum amount of data it can process.

The Switch is not powerful, we can see that even Zelda with a tiny upgrade from 720p to 900p in docked mode still drops frames to wii u levels in certain places. I don't think its unrealistic to say the Switch is in the region of 30% more powerful than wii u for gpu performance based on that result.

The end result is a very powerful portable, well beyond Vita but a home console marginally more powerful than wii u.

We don't need excuses like lazy ports or developers struggling with the hardware etc for Switch its pretty much performing as expected for its technical specification.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
FloatingWaffles said:

This doesn't say anything or indicate anything about what a multiplatform game will look like on the PS4 and Switch. We still gotta wait until we see a game that was built from the ground up for both at the same time.

Its been widely reported how incredibly easy it is to develop for Switch and we know it has shared memory of 25.6GB/s so we can compare the total amount of data the Switch can move which puts it below last gen ps3/360. It's identical in memory bandwidth to the xbox 360 except the 360 also had memory bandwidth of 256GB/s for 10MB of memory. PS3 had 25.6GB/s and 19.2GB/s and wii u has 12.8GB/s  for main memory and about 60GB/s for its 32MB of eram. So the Switch sits between wii u and 360/ps3 overall in the maximum amount of data it can process.

The Switch is not powerful, we can see that even Zelda with a tiny upgrade from 720p to 900p in docked mode still drops frames to wii u levels in certain places. I don't think its unrealistic to say the Switch is in the region of 30% more powerful than wii u for gpu performance based on that result.

The end result is a very powerful portable, well beyond Vita but a home console marginally more powerful than wii u.

We don't need excuses like lazy ports or developers struggling with the hardware etc for Switch its pretty much performing as expected for its technical specification.

I think the Switch is a good deal more powerful than the Wii U, the memory bandwidth is the bottleneck that I think is causing a lot of the problems. 

25GB/sec is OK but lacks even the eDRAM buffer the Wii U had for more intensive tasks. 

Maybe a Swith Pro will go to 50GB/sec LPDDR4 or something better than that even will be available in a few years. 

Well, there's the first port that runs like absolute crap on the Switch...

Accidently read this as Dragon Quest XI for a minute, which would have been worse.

Soundwave said:
bonzobanana said:

I think the Switch is a good deal more powerful than the Wii U, the memory bandwidth is the bottleneck that I think is causing a lot of the problems. 

25GB/sec is OK but lacks even the eDRAM buffer the Wii U had for more intensive tasks. 

Maybe a Swith Pro will go to 50GB/sec LPDDR4 or something better than that even will be available in a few years. 

Switch is definitely at least 2x cpu performance of wii u but the wii u does have some advantages, the 60GB/s of eDRAM, the secondary wii gpu which may be able to be used for processing main graphics not just generating gamepad screen and a dedicated ARM DSP for all audio. Ultimately memory provides the top barrier to performance so shared 25.6GB/s memory is the top limit. How much does only 32MB of 60GB/s eDRAM assist 12.8GB/s of 2GB memory, would need to know the ratio of eDRAM access to main memory but looking at the xbox one compared to ps4 it does help maybe covers 20% of the bandwidth deficit on that system but then with the wii u having such low bandwidth main memory it probably is much more effective. I wouldn't be suprised if the combination gave wii u effective memory bandwidth of 18-20GB/s but these are total guesses. Hardly a world apart from Switch at 25.6GB/s.

Unless of course there is some customisation of the Nvidia X1 that enhances performance on Switch which I've been looking for in the game performance but sadly if anything the Switch is performing below my expectations in docked mode probably purely down to the low memory bandwidth that is killing performance when the system is under higher load. Sadly its not something that can be tweaked with a later firmware either as I can't see Nintendo overclocking their memory chips even if they could tweak the cpu and gpu speeds a bit when docked.

I was hoping that Nintendo had put some additional cache memory in the customisation of the Nvidia X1 to replace the little cpu cores. It will be interesting to see the x-ray scans of the Switch chips.

Hiku said:
Vini256 said:

Don't know if it's true or not, but I read somewhere a while ago that the demo had worse framerate than the full game, maybe that's better? I don't think the final build is gonna be that different honestly, but who knows really. Either way this is pretty disappointing, seeing as I was considering getting this because it's a 2-in-1 game =P

I don't know when that demo first came out, but it's not uncommon for the final build of a game to improve that way.
This however seems to have been a compaison between different demos, meaning that the PS4 Demo already ran pretty well before the full game was released.
I'd wait and see for a full game version followup of this video if the framerate is fixed before buying this game.

I actually posted footage from the full game yesterday, but no one seemed to notice =P

DQH2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhD9ZY3B6h0

DQH1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7pewdpEM4

Runs pretty decently on docked mode now, but we still have no idea if the portable mode is any better in the final version.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I'm not 'making excuses', this is pretty clearly just a bad port, dude. 

Also, nobody knows the exact specs of the Switch, so you can't try to say that it's barely more powerful than the Wii U, that's just what you think then or maybe what you are expecting. 

Also you bring up Zelda as a point to how weak you think the Switch is, but that is a Wii U port, not a game built from the ground up for the system. There could be multiple reeasons why it is having framerate dips sometimes for all we know, maybe something got fucked up during the porting process. 

Plus, to counter that Zelda point you tried to make, what about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe then. That game ran at 720p60fps on Wii U and 720p30fps in splitscreen, but now runs at 1080p60fps on the Switch and 1080p60fps for 2 player splitscreen (4 player goes down to 30fps). That alone proves that Zelda can't be used as an example. 

Same thing with Fast Racing Neo which was limited to 720p60fps and less effects and detail on the Wii U but now on the Switch Fast RMX is 1080p60fps with more details and effects. 

Plus even then those games I mentioned are once again just Wii U ports, we still haven't seen what games look like from the ground up for Switch yet aside from some likes ARMS and Mario Odyssey, which could be significantly improved by the time they come out. Plus for all we know maybe those started out as Wii U games anyway since we known Nintendo shifted a lot of development over to the Switch.  

Or the fact that the Switch can run huge engines like Unreal Engine 4 easily (which can run the full console version, and I think I heard somewhere that it's on medium settings correct me if i'm wrong) where as the Wii U never could. 

The Switch has to at least be a good jump in power from the Wii U. I'm pretty sure it's closer to the Xbox One than it is to Wii U. That's whats been said this whole time from people. 

"Based on the videos I'm seeing of the PS3 version, it actually does seem to run a fair bit smoother than Switch. Of course, PS3 is 720p30 at all times where as Switch only drops to 720p in handheld mode.

It seems like the Switch version is basically a PS3 port running at 1080p docked."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231714141&postcount=313

bonzobanana said:

Switch is definitely at least 2x cpu performance of wii u but the wii u does have some advantages, the 60GB/s of eDRAM, the secondary wii gpu which may be able to be used for processing main graphics not just generating gamepad screen and a dedicated ARM DSP for all audio. Ultimately memory provides the top barrier to performance so shared 25.6GB/s memory is the top limit. How much does only 32MB of 60GB/s eDRAM assist 12.8GB/s of 2GB memory, would need to know the ratio of eDRAM access to main memory but looking at the xbox one compared to ps4 it does help maybe covers 20% of the bandwidth deficit on that system but then with the wii u having such low bandwidth main memory it probably is much more effective. I wouldn't be suprised if the combination gave wii u effective memory bandwidth of 18-20GB/s but these are total guesses. Hardly a world apart from Switch at 25.6GB/s.

Unless of course there is some customisation of the Nvidia X1 that enhances performance on Switch which I've been looking for in the game performance but sadly if anything the Switch is performing below my expectations in docked mode probably purely down to the low memory bandwidth that is killing performance when the system is under higher load. Sadly its not something that can be tweaked with a later firmware either as I can't see Nintendo overclocking their memory chips even if they could tweak the cpu and gpu speeds a bit when docked.

I was hoping that Nintendo had put some additional cache memory in the customisation of the Nvidia X1 to replace the little cpu cores. It will be interesting to see the x-ray scans of the Switch chips.

in the PC space the Maxwell and Pascal architectures have a big advantage in their efficiency of memory use (size/bandwith), which seems to stem from using tiled resources (afaik that's what Nvidia said at the 1080 TI reveal) - I know that the technique was talked about quite a bit post Xone reveal, so maybe the WiiU/Xone already could use it even though they have AMD HW as it makes a lot of sense to do so with their eD/eSRAM

however if they didn't the Switch might have a bit of a leg up there