By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: Switch vs PS4! Dragon Quest Heroes 2 Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

Conina said:
Lafiel said:

I really hate that "lazy developers" phrase

the Switch version is probably expected to sell ~50k copies ww and hence the budget (set by the publisher) for the port was very limited, so adjusting a big chunk of the assets to get the best visuals/performance combination out of the Switch just seems financially unfeasible

I don't doubt the devs would have loved to make it the best version it can be

Why should they only expect to sell 50k copies with a proper port? And why shouldn't Switch users expect a better performance in portable mode than the Vita version (only a fraction of the Switch's RAM and processing power) of the same game?

I'm not saying they shouldn't expect a better performance than what is offered here - if the retail version has the same issues gamers should give it a pass. What I'm saying is that blaming the "lazy devs" for what is surely a management decision is wrong.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Aura7541 said:

DQ1 was pretty musou, but DQ2 is more along the lines of an action RPG based on import impressions I've read.

Huh? in what way? 

https://youtu.be/8aP6NJ2VhK0?t=44

Dammit, I meant DQH1 and DQH2.

Conina said:
Lafiel said:

I really hate that "lazy developers" phrase

the Switch version is probably expected to sell ~50k copies ww and hence the budget (set by the publisher) for the port was very limited, so adjusting a big chunk of the assets to get the best visuals/performance combination out of the Switch just seems financially unfeasible

I don't doubt the devs would have loved to make it the best version it can be

Why should they only expect to sell 50k copies with a proper port? And why shouldn't Switch users expect a better performance in portable mode than the Vita version (only a fraction of the Switch's RAM and processing power) of the same game?

Because the Switch version is different as far as native resolution, effects, ect. It's not like the Switch and Vita versions are the same.

That said, it's obvious the Switch simply isn't powerful enough to be a home console/portable hybrid at least when considering nonexclusives. I feel it's going to be another Wii U situation where no one is even going to bother showung what this can do outside Nintendo.

To think how well BOTW and Xenoblade X runs on Wii U, I'm questioning if Switch is even twice the power of it.

Here's hoping we see some flexing of Switches power this gen. 

I remember being genuinely wow-ed by the effort they put into the Vita version at the time, genuinely seemed like one of the better ports on the console.

Seems I wasn't wrong! Lol. I know the visuals are slashed, but it seemed to (generally) be running better than the Switch version, especially in handheld mode.

Train wreck said:
Makes you wonder about Dragon Quest XI

Will look closer to the 3DS version

Around the Network

Man that really demonstrates the 2-tier quality of games in docked vs undocked mode. Not sure what the long term implications of struggling performance in undocked mode might be. If most games are developed with docked mode play in mind, then developers might produce something that the undocked Switch struggles to run rendering some games potentially unplayable undocked.

Games may need to be made with more adjustable graphics settings, because clearly just dropping the resolution for undocked mode wasn't enough for DQ Heroes.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I'm the first one to criticize the Switch. But clearly here the hardware is not the only one at fault. Omega did an awful job porting the game.

I hope they will fix it with a patch. A big one.

Omega Force, you lazy bastards XD. Not a chance I'll buy a game with 20fps, sorry.

There are going to be so many threads like this I fear. I hope it does change though and future Switch games just work with the hardware on offer and not try to impress with a higher graphic fidelity at the expense of playability.

720p docked is fine I think. It would be nice to get some anti-aliasing too but no point in 1080p and rubbish frame rates.

I remember Sonic Racing Transformed on wii u it dropped resolution below ps3 and 360 but still looked fine and had a decent frame rate. Hugely enjoyable game on wii u. Certainly preferable to 900p and 20fps.

Someone from NeoGAF found gameplay footage of the full version and while it still has frame drops here and there, it definitely seems to run better than the demo overall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhD9ZY3B6h0

Edit: DQH1 footage as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7pewdpEM4