By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

alternine said:

Releasing a rushed unfinished console with a legion ready to defend it has its perks I guess.

Moderated ~ CGI

And legions more ready to downplay it. Hey, they say no such thing as bad publicity so on behalf of Nintendo, I thank you for the free press and helping to raise awareness of Nintendo's latest product.

Around the Network
shenlong213 said:

Nintendo of Europe says Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii.

In Japan, the Switch sold 313,700 units in its first week, according to Famitsu data

It's only been four days though, not a week.

Miyamotoo said:
naruball said:

All we have to do is wait a few weeks.

That want change fact that "Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European and US history".

Nope. But it will change what I replied to. "Actually good concept, great launch game and good marketing has its perks".

I believe that people who bought it are hardcore Ninty fans just like the ps4 did extremely well breaking records left and right without a great launch game or a "good concept". Whether it's selling thanks to the points you mentioned or not remains to be seen.

bonzobanana said:
Helloplite said:

UK is also in Europe. It sold over 325,000 for all we know, and aprox 80,000 in UK. Europe has a population of 735 million. UK has a population of 64 million. So, no, it did not do bad in UK. It should have sold only 30,000 there, for interest to be the same as the rest of Europe. So, UK was a strong launch and contributed a lot to the system's sales (almost 25% of all European sales, despite having less than 10% of Europe's population).

You can't calculate it fairly that way because the UK is a very strong gaming region historically with a higher disposable income than many areas of Europe where sales will be lower. Normally I think you'd expect consoles to sell better in the UK than France for example but the UK is actually a strong market for Microsoft and so its splits down sales somewhat. 

This is all too early to assese anyway we need to see a couple of months of sales figures to see a pattern. 

It is looking very positive though which justifies Nintendo's high pricing and even if momentum slows Nintendo can bundle or price cut fairly quickly if they have to perhaps September for the build up for Christmas.

Zelda is such an amazing game for a launch. I rember Super Mario World on snes and Mario 64 on N64 being amazing and Zelda BOTW seems as good as those.

Here's the thing.

If Nintendo can manage to sell out the Switch at 299.99 without a game and get good sales on games and accessories, why drop the price?

Chances are this was deliberately made. Once sales slow down, then a price cut and bundles come to boost it up. Remember that 3D land and the price cut made 3ds sales boost up by 200%- imagine what Super Mario Odyssey and a bundle (or 250 price cut) can do

danielrdp said:
alternine said:
Releasing a rushed unfinished console with a legion ready to defend it has its perks I guess.

Actually the console itself is really cool. Yes, I know the dock sucks. It can scratch the screen, but overall I was really impressed with the switch. 

It can scratch the screen... if someone is wreckless and doesn't know how to take care of their console. Seriously. I own one, there's no scratching the screen over at my house.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
This is good, this shows that people still care about portables, I didnt think it would beat Wii glad it did.

There's absolutely no way to asses why people are buying Switch without polling every single buyer.

Another Awesome news!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Oh wow, that's amazing!!
I'm so happy for Nintendo.

Very good to see, hope the momentum continues for them.

Great opening. Now lets see how it goes from here.