By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

If I bought a Switch I wouldn't be interested in re-buying wii u ports like mk8 on Switch as I still have a wii u and games are expensive but I may not be typical with that view. However as many have already mentioned the wii u install base is low so for anyone who didn't have a wii u but buys a Switch those games will be new to them. I would still think sales wise they would be in a mid position between Switch exclusive games from Nintendo and third party games.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
I just had a quick look around for stock in the UK which would be an indicator of a poor launch but can find no stock. It's all pre-orders only. I might be remembering wrongly but I'm sure there was still some wii u stock at launch time but maybe that was just the first day or 2 not 5 days after launch and of course that would depend on how much stock was actually available. Doesn't seem like the uk got a lot of stock.

I wonder how many people are waiting for the second wave of stock.

Well, nintendo did pretty bad in the UK with the WIIU and even the 3DS didn't light things on fire, so maybe Nintendo was being conservative when they allocated stock to UK. If the demand is there they will up future shipments I'm sure.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually we need to see end of year to see indicator of long term success, for new Switch has great start and actual best start in history of Nintendo on US and Europe market.

Not really. 

Almost every system that's been successful starts showing strong indications of success (a healthy baseline) by month 4/5/6. Usually earlier than that to be honest. 

If you haven't gained traction by then and your fanbase is parroting the "wait until game XYZ launches!" ... odds are you are in big, big trouble. 

PS3 and 3DS says hi.

Switch can have low sales during summer and than do great in holiday season and to be success.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not really. 

Almost every system that's been successful starts showing strong indications of success (a healthy baseline) by month 4/5/6. Usually earlier than that to be honest. 

If you haven't gained traction by then and your fanbase is parroting the "wait until game XYZ launches!" ... odds are you are in big, big trouble. 

What about the DS, 3DS and PS3? 

The DS was regularly outsold by the PSP in its first year. It exploded around christmas 2006 in Japan and didn't sell well until the release of the DS Lite in the west. The 3DS didn't sell well until that huge price cut. And the PS3 launch was a disaster: Huge opening week and then sales just dropped off a cliff. I remember we had threads on vgchartz wondering if it would outsell the Gamecube. 

Oh and the PSP got wildly successful in Japan after Monster Hunter got big, which was several years after its launch. 

bonzobanana said:
If I bought a Switch I wouldn't be interested in re-buying wii u ports like mk8 on Switch as I still have a wii u and games are expensive but I may not be typical with that view. However as many have already mentioned the wii u install base is low so for anyone who didn't have a wii u but buys a Switch those games will be new to them. I would still think sales wise they would be in a mid position between Switch exclusive games from Nintendo and third party games.

I agree for the most part but it's different for games like Mario Kart for me. The Switch's tabletop mode is really cool and being able to play Mario Kart with my friends wherever we are is like a dream come true to me. I know you can play multiplayer on traditional handhelds but it's just not as convenient as you need one console for every player and most of the time those few people who did own a DS / 3DS didn't own a copy of Mario Kart so you could only play the first two cups and they couldn't choose a driver. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
naruball said:

I always have trouble following what you're trying to say. But I'll attempt once again.

The ps4 did amazingly well just like the Switch. You claim that Switch did so because of x and Ps4 because of x. That doesn't make it a fact. It's nothing more than your guess. Like an another person said, in order to know this, we would need a proper poll and assume that the people being polled are honest in their answers.

Ps4 sold well for a number of reasons and so did the Switch. But the trend is clear. More people preorder than they used to. Also wasn't wii sold out everywhere? How would it be able to beat the Switch if less wii's were available to be bought?

First week numbers are always good with very few exceptions (like the psv I think and of course devices no one wants like ouya). Even xbone did incredibly well despite its disastrous launch.

Guess what, Switch is also sold almost everywhere.

Its not about only good first numbers, in this case its about best first numbers in history of Nintendo in US and Europe, thats huge difrence. For instance Wii U didnt sold better than Wii on launch, but curenlty Switch sold better than Wii and Wii U.

Guess what? I am already aware of that. Never disputed that. How about arguing against what I said?