By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What kind of game should the next Zelda be?

What kind of game should the next Zelda be?

2D 19 25.00%

3D 17 22.37%

Open World 22 28.95%

A combination of these 6 7.89%

Something completely new 11 14.47%

I hate Zelda, there shoul... 1 1.32%

Total:76

The next Zelda game will most certainly be a 2d zelda. Maybe even the next two. But here is the thing, I hope they both come out on the switch and are top down. I see the Switch as being a lot of fun to play both styles on, and you can still have hd backgrounds/textures and it can look great, but have the same simple playstyle as Link to the past/between worlds. I LOVED those two games and was so happy they made a sequel to it. Triforce Heroes, while playing enjoyable like LBW, didn't have the story element, or the exploration, which made it a let down.

Around the Network
Nymeria said:
I want the next installment to be to Breath of the Wild what Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time.

By that I mean a direct sequel that takes some big chances in story telling. This way it could reduce development time so it releases on the Switch by sometime in 2020.

This.

Because after a Breath of the Wild where can you go next? It's basically the same situation as after Ocarina of Time, where Nintendo's dealing with a game that has such a great reception that they're never going to top that for a while anyway. This is why Majora's Mask was the perfect sequel; it didn't try to one-up Ocarina, but took it's base and molded it into something, while still familiar, was completely different. The next Zelda game should be a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild with this Link in a new adventure in another, more compact world focusing on a crazy out-of-the-box storyline and theme.

zorg1000 said:
Barkley said:

Hmmm... that's something to think about... we may see a lot less "2d" games from Nintendo going forward due to the Switch.

So you can wish for a 2d Zelda, but I doubt we'll see one on the Switch.

Can you explain how you came to that conclusion?

The Switch is a home console too, how many 2d Zelda's have there been on a home console since the n64?

Barkley said:
zorg1000 said:

The Switch is a home console too, how many 2d Zelda's have there been on a home console since the n64?

If they make aother multiplayer Zelda like Four Swords or Tri Force Heroes it'll probably be 2D.

A mix of Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild.

Though I would gladly take something in the vein of Majora's Mask. A quick developed cycle with a low budget by reusing Breath of the Wild's assets and add a twist on BOTW's formula.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
zorg1000 said:

I suppose just Four Swords Adventures but I find that to be faulty reasoning.

Like you said, Switch is not just one or the other, its both a handheld & home console so in order to successfully integrate both markets than it makes sense to feature games found in both markets.

2D Zelda titles consistently sell in the millions and since the development time and cost is likely very small in comparison to 3D Zelda than it makes sense to continue making them.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

As much as I'm enjoying BoW, I'd love to see a 2D modern(ish) take on the more action based Zelda 1, as its one of my favorite Zelda games. Maybe not to the extent of Hyrule Warriors, but at least reving up the intensity to a more frantic arcade-style pace.

It could be the old-school alternative that can coexist with the more modern epic Zelda games, similar to how NSMB coexist w/Galaxy and 3D World.

I love the open world style of BoW, but the action is a bit lacking at times.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Barkley said:
zorg1000 said:

But it's also a handheld. It's not unlikely that they will release a 2D game while they're working on a bigger 3D/open world Zelda.