By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn beats Zelda to No.1 in UK ( PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch)

Sprash said:
Peh said:

Guess which console has the bigger user base at the moment.

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

So,  who can sell their software the most?

why didn't the wiiu zelda version sell more than the switch version? the wiiu must have sold more than 80000 units in the uk.

Probably because the WII U is dead, as it is for me. I have a WII U and still got a switch with Zelda on it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
naruball said:

Flawed argument is flawed and I'm sure it will be used over and over again.

Zelda has zero competition. If you bought a switch, you most likely also bought Zelda. There aren't many other reasons to do so.

A ps4 owner has thousands of other options and may as well wait to buy it later on when it gets a price cut. Same can't be said for the Switch.

Anyway, my point is, such a comparison is pointless, especially when you bring up points to defend one of the two companies.

Funny how you call my argument flawed but couldn't show me a better one or better yet, no argument at all.

Let's just go for UK only, because that's what counts here.

We have less than 800k WII U's sold in the UK and 80k of Switch devices.

Where as in comparision we got 5.3 million PS4 sold alone in UK.

Who has the bigger user base and attach rate?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/324202/wii-and-wiiu-gaming-consoles-unit-sales-uk/

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/503159/PS4-Sony-Xbox-One-Microsoft-sales-figures-Phil-Spencer

So, please. Getting a lot of sales due to a higher user base is nothing extraordinary.

Biggest launch for new IP on the PS4 is though.  Beat out Bloodborne, Destiny, Division, just to name a few high profile new IP's this generation.

Peh said:
naruball said:

Flawed argument is flawed and I'm sure it will be used over and over again.

Zelda has zero competition. If you bought a switch, you most likely also bought Zelda. There aren't many other reasons to do so.

A ps4 owner has thousands of other options and may as well wait to buy it later on when it gets a price cut. Same can't be said for the Switch.

Anyway, my point is, such a comparison is pointless, especially when you bring up points to defend one of the two companies.

Funny how you call my argument flawed but couldn't show me a better one or better yet, no argument at all.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/324202/wii-and-wiiu-gaming-consoles-unit-sales-uk/

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/503159/PS4-Sony-Xbox-One-Microsoft-sales-figures-Phil-Spencer

So, please. Getting a lot of sales due to a higher user base is nothing extraordinary.

hahahha. Nice, dude. If that's not a great way to debate, I don't know what is. I guess I should follow your example and completely disregard everything you posted and claim that that's not an argument at all. The joys of internet debate where respect is thrown out of the window.

Lol@ certain fans all of a sudden spinning this if this is not a amazing feat! Horizon is definitely going to overshadow zelda.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
Lol@ certain fans all of a sudden spinning this if this is not a amazing feat! Horizon is definitely going to overshadow zelda.

I certainly would not come to that conclusion yet.

Around the Network
Peh said:

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

First, this is the UK, not worldwide. Secondly, there's a lot more competition on the PS4 than on the WiiU or Switch.

naruball said:
Peh said:

hahahha. Nice, dude. If that's not a great way to debate, I don't know what is. I guess I should follow your example and completely disregard everything you posted and claim that that's not an argument at all. The joys of internet debate where respect is thrown out of the window.

Which you already did by completely ignoring the user base and thus my argument. I don't see a counter argument. All you did was saying that my argument is flawed with not giving a proper argument why that is.

There are only 80k Switch console vs 5.3 million ps4 consoles. You don't have to be good at math to see the difference.

Even if Horizon sold only 100k (which would be just 1.8% attach rate), it's still more than there are Switch Units in the entirety of UK. You simply ignored this fact.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

bananaking21 said:
kopstudent89 said:

The Wii did around 105k so it's not the worst launch. It's a solid launch and seems sold out many places. 

Obviously it limits the sale numbers for Zelda as well which is the saddest thing about it :(

we will see next week how it performs. but compared to the rest of the market and other console launches its pretty bad. Wii was heavily supply constrained and its numbers following its release show that. lets see how this plays out. but as it stands, 80k is pretty poor when PS4 did 250k and XB1 150k. 

Yeah but Switch is pretty supplied constrained as well. Couldn't find one this weekend. Have to go to a local game stop today to see if anyone cancelled. 

Not saying it's an amazing launch but really the PS4's launch was on another level. I'd say disappointing not to get the 100k but it does seem Nintendo undershipped. US and Japan will be the main markets in these early stages though

Lawlight said:
Peh said:

First, this is the UK, not worldwide. Secondly, there's a lot more competition on the PS4 than on the WiiU or Switch.

Read the rest of my posts.

So much for Horizon being overshadowed

Poor Sony