By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn beats Zelda to No.1 in UK ( PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch)

think-man said:
Peh said:

Funny how you call my argument flawed but couldn't show me a better one or better yet, no argument at all.

Let's just go for UK only, because that's what counts here.

We have less than 800k WII U's sold in the UK and 80k of Switch devices.

Where as in comparision we got 5.3 million PS4 sold alone in UK.

Who has the bigger user base and attach rate?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/324202/wii-and-wiiu-gaming-consoles-unit-sales-uk/

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/503159/PS4-Sony-Xbox-One-Microsoft-sales-figures-Phil-Spencer

So, please. Getting a lot of sales due to a higher user base is nothing extraordinary.

Biggest launch for new IP on the PS4 is though.  Beat out Bloodborne, Destiny, Division, just to name a few high profile new IP's this generation.

What other AAA title launched on the PS4 besides Horzion Zero Dawn during that week?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
naruball said:

hahahha. Nice, dude. If that's not a great way to debate, I don't know what is. I guess I should follow your example and completely disregard everything you posted and claim that that's not an argument at all. The joys of internet debate where respect is thrown out of the window.

Which you already did by completely ignoring the user base and thus my argument. I don't see a counter argument. All you did was saying that my argument is flawed with not giving a proper argument why that is.

There are only 80k Switch console vs 5.3 million ps4 consoles. You don't have to be good at math to see the difference.

Even if Horizon sold only 100k (which would be just 1.8% attach rate), it's still more than there are Switch Units in the entirety of UK. You simply ignored this fact.

You can repeat the same argument 50 more times, but it still won't change what I already stated:

1. Yes, there is a huge difference between the install base of each console.

2. That's one side of the coin. Ignoring the other side, which you did, is disingenuous.

My argument was that your statement doesn't take everything into account, hence why it is flawed.

Now feel free to tell me for the fourth time in a row the difference in install base an ignore everything else I stated.

naruball said:
Peh said:

Which you already did by completely ignoring the user base and thus my argument. I don't see a counter argument. All you did was saying that my argument is flawed with not giving a proper argument why that is.

There are only 80k Switch console vs 5.3 million ps4 consoles. You don't have to be good at math to see the difference.

Even if Horizon sold only 100k (which would be just 1.8% attach rate), it's still more than there are Switch Units in the entirety of UK. You simply ignored this fact.

You can repeat the same argument 50 more times, but it still won't change what I already stated:

2. That's one side of the coin. Ignoring the other side, which you did, is disingenuous.

My argument was that your statement doesn't take everything into account, hence why it is flawed.

Now feel free to tell me for the fourth time in a row the difference in install base an ignore everything else I stated.

Sadly the source doesn't state how much units of the game were sold in the UK, so I just go with my hypothethical number and say 100k. Were I already said, that would be just 1,8% of the people who own a PS4 in UK. So, the rest of 98,2 % didn't bought the game for various reasons.

"Zelda has zero competition. If you bought a switch, you most likely also bought Zelda. There aren't many other reasons to do so."
That competition is limited by how many devices you can sell to the UK, which were only 80.000. And not everyone seems to like Zelda or bought it as a digital version which will not be listed in that statistic.

"A ps4 owner has thousands of other options and may as well wait to buy it later on when it gets a price cut. Same can't be said for the Switch."

How many AAA exlusive titles came out during that month for the PS4? Maybe they filled a drought with the game? Maybe they build a hype for that game. Did you took those things also into account? But this falls with my argument were I said, that the attach rate could be only 1,8%.

That's all the points you had, and they simply don't hold.  

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Lawlight said:

First, this is the UK, not worldwide. Secondly, there's a lot more competition on the PS4 than on the WiiU or Switch.

Read the rest of my posts.

So, 5.3M owners being able to purchase 500 or so games - let's say 530 to make the division exact (there's actually over 700 games).

vs.

80,000 owners being able to buy 1 game.

That's a ratio of 10,000 owners to game for the PS4 vs 80,000 owners to game for the Switch.

We're not even counting the WiiU sales here.

Lawlight said:
Peh said:

Read the rest of my posts.

So, 5.3M owners being able to purchase 500 or so games - let's say 530 to make the division exact (there's actually over 700 games).

vs.

That's a ratio of 10,000 owners to game for the PS4 vs 80,000 owners to game for the Switch.

Is this supposed to be a joke?

You count every single game on the PS4 library, but ignore every other game on the Switch at the same time.

Thanks, now I know what to think of your reasoning.

Around the Network
Peh said:
naruball said:

Sadly the source doesn't state how much units of the game were sold in the UK, so I just go with my hypothethical number and say 100k. Were I already said, that would be just 1,8% of the people who own a PS4 in UK. So, the rest of 98,2 % didn't bought the game for various reasons.

1. "Zelda has zero competition. If you bought a switch, you most likely also bought Zelda. There aren't many other reasons to do so."
That competition is limited by how many devices you can sell to the UK, which were only 80.000. And not everyone seems to like Zelda or bought it as a digital version which will not be listed in that statistic.

2. "A ps4 owner has thousands of other options and may as well wait to buy it later on when it gets a price cut. Same can't be said for the Switch."

How many AAA exlusive titles came out during that month for the PS4? Maybe they filled a drought with the game? Maybe they build a hype for that game. Did you took those things also into account?

You saying that they don't hold, doesn't magically make them so. That's not how an argument works.

1. Again with the number of swiches sold. Nice. 4th time in a row and has nothing to do with my point. Didn't say that everyone likes Zelda, hence the "most likely" part. Feel free to pay closer attention next time.

2. Several AAA and non AAA exlusives came out. Ps4 owners have backlogs that Switch owners don't since this is the very begining of the console. As for the rest of your point, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It's not phrased well.

Peh said:
Lawlight said:

vs.

Is this supposed to be a joke?

You count every single game on the PS4 library, but ignore every other game on the Switch at the same time.

Thanks, now I know what to think of your reasoning.

No, not every PS4 game - as I said there are over 700 games in the PS4 library.

I am very happy, we gamers have had a wonderful time in recent months. And also the next weeks & future look fantastic :)

naruball said:
Peh said:

1. "Zelda has zero competition. If you bought a switch, you most likely also bought Zelda. There aren't many other reasons to do so."

2. "A ps4 owner has thousands of other options and may as well wait to buy it later on when it gets a price cut. Same can't be said for the Switch."

How many AAA exlusive titles came out during that month for the PS4? Maybe they filled a drought with the game? Maybe they build a hype for that game. Did you took those things also into account?

You saying that they don't hold, doesn't magically make them so. That's not how an argument works.

1. Again with the number of swiches sold. Nice. 4th time in a row and has nothing to do with my point. Didn't say that everyone likes Zelda, hence the "most likely" part. Feel free to pay closer attention next time.

2. Several AAA and non AAA exlusives came out. Ps4 owners have backlogs that Switch owners don't since this is the very begining of the console. As for the rest of your point, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It's not phrased well.

They don't hold because I already stated why. You still havn't showed me a valid argument why I should think otherwise.

Again, you say Zelda has Zero competition, yet ignore the fact that people make lots of comparisions between those 2 games even on this board. Second, there is only a limited number of Switch Units available for people to actually buy the game as I already stated to you, which you still don't get why Horizon sold better than Zelda. If there were twice as more Switch units available for the UK at launch, guess which game would be on top. And like I said, we don't know the certain numbers of software sold. But I doubt that it is higher than 120k.  Again, even if PS4 has thousands or even millions of other options, this is just in favour for my argument. Because as I said, the attach rate could be around 1,8 % depending of how many software were sold. Thus more than 90 % of PS4 gamers didn't care about Horizon Zero Dawn or bought something else.

We got an attach rate of 78% vs less than 10%? So, what are you trying to sell me?

So Horizon beated games like Destiny in their opening week pretty impressive if you ask me.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar