By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn beats Zelda to No.1 in UK ( PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch)

the_dark_lewd said:
That is only 1 day of Switch sales to be fair. If it'd been a whole week of Zelda vs whole week of Horizon, I bet Zelda would've won.

Considering the Switch sold 80k units... even with an attach rate of 100% Zelda wouldn't beat Horizon. Horizon likely sold more than the Switch has stock available in the UK.

Around the Network
the_dark_lewd said:
That is only 1 day of Switch sales to be fair. If it'd been a whole week of Zelda vs whole week of Horizon, I bet Zelda would've won.

Didn't in Japan so I see no reason why it would change in the UK.

I am concerned that Sony underestimated completely usa / uk / france and germany. The PS4 Pro is sold out almost everywhere and now comes Nier Automata, the next Mass Effect and the masterpiece Persona 5. Sony must produce much more consoles!

Mummelmann said:
Interesting that sales of Zelda is so heavily skewed in favor of the Switch version, the people at my local Webhallen told me the same thing; pre-orders for Zelda on Switch were high enough that they wouldn't really have enough for everyone and certainly nothing in the store for walk-in purchase but they more than enough for Wii U.
I'm getting more and more certain that the vast majority of the Switch pre-orders were in fact Wii U owners upgrading, which makes things really interesting in many different ways.

Wasn't that always clear though? Who would buy the Switch right now if not a Wii U owner? Certainly not the 3DS owners, there's not enough software yet. Kids are getting their presents on christmas. I doubt there was anyone purchasing the Switch at launch that's not a Wii U owner or part of the general Nintendo fandom.

Holiday numbers should be more telling about Switch's broad appeal. Until then only Wii U owners will be buying and maybe one or two 3DS owners with too much money on their hands.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Wasn't that always clear though? Who would buy the Switch right now if not a Wii U owner? Certainly not the 3DS owners, there's not enough software yet. Kids are getting their presents on christmas. I doubt there was anyone purchasing the Switch at launch that's not a Wii U owner or part of the general Nintendo fandom.

Holiday numbers should be more telling about Switch's broad appeal. Until then only Wii U owners will be buying and maybe one or two 3DS owners with too much money on their hands.

People that don't already have a console that can play the 1 Switch game worth buying?

You mean the gigantic Zelda fandom that bought the Wii but not the Wii U?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

i dont think the switch will do well long term, they are not giving what gamers want. a nintendo console as powerful as a ps4 x1 would be highly desirable, as you will get all the massive 3rd party games on top of the core nintendo exclusives

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

You mean the gigantic Zelda fandom that bought the Wii but not the Wii U?

There's a lot of fandoms that bought the Wii but not the Wii U, so yeah maybe the Zelda fandom is one of them

Well, they aren't really fans anyway if they didn't buy the great Hyrule Warriors. So who cares about them.

vivster said:
Mummelmann said:
Interesting that sales of Zelda is so heavily skewed in favor of the Switch version, the people at my local Webhallen told me the same thing; pre-orders for Zelda on Switch were high enough that they wouldn't really have enough for everyone and certainly nothing in the store for walk-in purchase but they more than enough for Wii U.
I'm getting more and more certain that the vast majority of the Switch pre-orders were in fact Wii U owners upgrading, which makes things really interesting in many different ways.

It was always obvious to me, but now we have actual data to support the notion.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Well, they aren't really fans anyway if they didn't buy the great Hyrule Warriors. So who cares about them.

But Hyrule Warriors was on 3DS as well, so maybe they did?

Like a year later! True zelda fans wouldn't wait that long.

naruball said:
Peh said:

Guess which console has the bigger user base at the moment.

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

So,  who can sell their software the most?

Flawed argument is flawed and I'm sure it will be used over and over again.

Zelda has zero competition. If you bought a switch, you most likely also bought Zelda. There aren't many other reasons to do so.

A ps4 owner has thousands of other options and may as well wait to buy it later on when it gets a price cut. Same can't be said for the Switch.

Anyway, my point is, such a comparison is pointless, especially when you bring up points to defend one of the two companies.

Funny how you call my argument flawed but couldn't show me a better one or better yet, no argument at all.

Let's just go for UK only, because that's what counts here.

We have less than 800k WII U's sold in the UK and 80k of Switch devices.

Where as in comparision we got 5.3 million PS4 sold alone in UK.

Who has the bigger user base and attach rate?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/324202/wii-and-wiiu-gaming-consoles-unit-sales-uk/

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/503159/PS4-Sony-Xbox-One-Microsoft-sales-figures-Phil-Spencer

So, please. Getting a lot of sales due to a higher user base is nothing extraordinary.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3