By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn beats Zelda to No.1 in UK ( PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch)

Ka-pi96 said:
bananaking21 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-06-horizon-zero-dawn-is-sonys-biggest-ps4-franchise-debut

my source. 

i am also looking for where i saw Destiny numbers for its first week. cant seem to find it. 

edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231560482&postcount=66

here, UC4 = Destiny

the original article probably forgot to mention that its the biggest new IP launch from Sony, not in general. 

ah, well then assuming the writer of the MCV article is wrong... that's much less impressive. It's competition for that title is now... No Man's Sky & Knack?

Well, No Man's Sky actually had a pretty strong first week. Also Bloodborne, but that didn't have a very big first week in the UK iirc.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
Peh said:

Guess which console has the bigger user base at the moment.

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

So,  who can sell their software the most?

So by that logic, Wii U version should sell more than the Switch version right? 

No, not necessarily. Twilight Princess sold on Wii 7 times more than on Gamecube. 

Same will happen with the Wii U. It's dead.

Most people will ditch the Wii U and move on to the newer console and get the game there. It's what I did and what other users on this board also did.

Horizon on the other hand is a PS4 exclusive.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Happy to hear this, for me Horizon Zero Dawn is the most interesting, cool and fresh looking new IP Sony has ever put out, glad to see it do well in sales and i do hope it becomes a franchise but i dont want a sequel until at least 2021 or 2022.

zero129 said:
Tmfwang said:

But both was reviewed highly and many (including my brother) bought these games. I haven't seen any ads for either of the three games.

Out of them 3 games its still clear what the bigger more hyped game is.

Anyway im just really amazed by how many of Sony fans are excited by Horizon outselling Zeldas 2-3 days on sale when that should of been clear all along.

Clearly the console with the bigger install base is going to sell the bigger amount of games.

But the PS4 will likely always have the bigger install base and by that extension of logic then Horizon will sell better than Zelda lifetime which is contrary to what many of us thought which is that ZBotW was going to sell better overall than HZD.  Personally I still think Zelda will leg it out in the end unless the switch crashes and burns. 

Good for Horizon, I'll probably pick it up when it gets cheaper and when I'm done with Zelda.

The_Yoda said:
zero129 said:

Out of them 3 games its still clear what the bigger more hyped game is.

Anyway im just really amazed by how many of Sony fans are excited by Horizon outselling Zeldas 2-3 days on sale when that should of been clear all along.

Clearly the console with the bigger install base is going to sell the bigger amount of games.

But the PS4 will likely always have the bigger install base and by that extension of logic then Horizon will sell better than Zelda lifetime which is contrary to what many of us thought which is that ZBotW was going to sell better overall than HZD.  Personally I still think Zelda will leg it out in the end unless the switch crashes and burns. 

Good for Horizon, I'll probably pick it up when it gets cheaper and when I'm done with Zelda.

If Zelda had sold more than Horizon would have said otherwise ..... "It is clear that a new IP can not compete with a saga like Zelda"

Around the Network

Some people are losing it. Let's see if we can make some sense of it all.
Install base argument favouring Horizon sales over Zelda is a fair assumption but we must also remember the 'low' Zelda sales is caused by 'low' Switch sales. For instance, Shadowfall sold twice the amount of Zelda in their launch weeks. So we can't really blame it being a launch game especially when it's one of Nintendo's biggest exclusives that's expected to push consoles. So now we have to answer if Zelda failed to push Switch or if Switch failed to push Zelda. Buuuut, we then have to apply context. PS4 launched in an very busy month of November while Switch launched in a relatively much weaker month. Personally I think both Switch and Zelda sales are Ok but lower than I expected.
These are only a few days of sales so we shouldn't be predicting failures. I also think Zelda will have better legs than Horizon.

zero129 said:
Lawlight said:

First, this is the UK, not worldwide. Secondly, there's a lot more competition on the PS4 than on the WiiU or Switch.

What other big hyped games was launched on PS4 the week of Horizon?.

I see that people already responded to you.

ICStats said:
fuallmofus said:
why ppl still buying GTAV?? For Online?

Because 100% of people don't have it yet, and they should.

lol u mean that game is that good?

i played it and its not that good so every singel person should play it. 

The dialogues are mostly full of vulgar BS!

Kane1389 said:
The Fury said:
Kinda makes sense. 2 days extra plus available on a load more consoles as Zelda would be limited by people having to buy the console as well.

I've seen the Horizon advertised more too, Zelda is only really advertised at the end of the Switch advert.

You do know Zelda is available on the Wii U as well right?

Yes but it's the Wii U... do people still own that? I jest but sales of the wii u in the uk aren't exactly stellar. Like I say, only advertised at the end of the Switch adverts, not on it's own.

Hmm, pie.

spurgeonryan said:
Lol, your attempt on Nintendo failed this time op.

Isn't it actually pretty sad that a system as big as the PS4 has to barely beat a brand new system with maybe a few million sales?

I hope Nintendo doesn't continue releasing big games to worry PS4 gamers.

What the hell is this comment? The OP is just posting an article.

Just because the PS4 has more systems sold doesn't mean everything. If that were true, what about TLG or Gravity Rush 2.

And people always seem to be forgetting that Nintendo doesn't have any 3rd party support, so the games consumers can buy are pretty much limited to their exclusives. If the Wii U had every 3rd party game the PS4 did, the exclusvies wouldn't be selling as much as they do. Consumers don't have unlimited money

I don't even know what the last comment means. You think Sony is even worried about the Switch?

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"