By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn beats Zelda to No.1 in UK ( PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch)

Great sales of course.

I'm interested if Horizon legs out any bit as well as Zelda will. Horizon certainly is the darling, alternative Zelda for Sony fans for now - but there are still plenty of great PS4 games that'll step in the spotlight later this year.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
Tmfwang said:
zero129 said:

What other big hyped games was launched on PS4 the week of Horizon?.

Nioh and Nier was launched extremely close.

Ghost recon Wildlands on ps4 will do respectable numbers too.  

Horizon is basically the cream of the crop though, in what has become a new golden era for PS gamers. 

fuallmofus said:
why ppl still buying GTAV?? For Online?

Because 100% of people don't have it yet, and they should.

My 8th gen collection

Nice to see that Guerillas effort has paid off, props to them! Hoping zelda does better in the US and the rest of europe, though I'm doubting it based on the userbase. I can dream though

Peh said:

Guess which console has the bigger user base at the moment.

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

So,  who can sell their software the most?

To be fairs it stands to reason that with Zelda being the only launch game worth a damm on Switch and with the massive drought on WiiU that Zelda has a larger sales potential than Horizon. PS4 owners have toms of options they may or may not get Horizon, WiiU and Switch owners on the toher hand kinda all want Zelda.

And im not saying this to bash on the WiiU or the Switch btw, I have a WiiU, I will be getting Zelda as soon as I finish my back log for PS4 and PC, it is just a fact the Zelda is kinda of the only option for Nintendo consoles right now.

Around the Network

Well deserved, game is great.

spurgeonryan said:
Lol, your attempt on Nintendo failed this time op.

Isn't it actually pretty sad that a system as big as the PS4 has to barely beat a brand new system with maybe a few million sales?

I hope Nintendo doesn't continue releasing big games to worry PS4 gamers.

Have you been hacked again? Don't normally see you making comments such as this.

zero129 said:
naruball said:

hahahha. Nice, dude. If that's not a great way to debate, I don't know what is. I guess I should follow your example and completely disregard everything you posted and claim that that's not an argument at all. The joys of internet debate where respect is thrown out of the window.

Except your logic isnt sound. Clearly you cant just ignore the fact that the PS4 user base is much bigger then that of the Switch+WiiU.

I have a feeling Zelda is going to have much better legs then Horizon.

Except I acknowledged that. Read more carefully next time.

What I pointed out is that if someone wants to have a proper debate, they can't only list all the things that Zelda had against it selling better on Switch and ignore everything that Horizon has against it selling better. An unbiased person who actually cares about the sales numbers would point out both. That was my argument. I never argued against the userbase. Like I said, read again.

spurgeonryan said:
Lol, your attempt on Nintendo failed this time op.

Isn't it actually pretty sad that a system as big as the PS4 has to barely beat a brand new system with maybe a few million sales?

I hope Nintendo doesn't continue releasing big games to worry PS4 gamers.

So selling roughly three times more is barely beating? Sooo much salt from Nintendo fans, no one in this thread has slandered Zelda/Nnintendo for selling less but you think that was the case with the above comment and others. Horizon is the best selling new ip from Sony, that's pretty amazing no matter how people want to cut it and downplay it.

zero129 said:
naruball said:

Except I acknowledged that. Read more carefully next time.

What I pointed out is that if someone wants to have a proper debate, they can't only list all the things that Zelda had against it selling better on Switch and ignore everything that Horizon has against it selling better. An unbiased person who actually cares about the sales numbers would point out both. That was my argument. I never argued against the userbase. Like I said, read again.

But what exactly does Horizon have against it?. Its a AAA Sony Exclusive, Got pretty good reviews, Lots of marketing and exposure, so what other big WRPG has launched on PS4 this year so far thats had all that?. Fact is Horizon has a much bigger install base to sell to even if less then 10% of its install base only shows interest.

Bolded: So admitting that your using Strawman tactics?.

1. It's a new IP. Plenty of New IPs have failed. Check out the thread of tearaway and everyone being certain that the ps4 version would sell better because the instalbase of ps4 is much larger than that of psv. In the end Tearaway sold close to a million on psv and flopped on ps4. As for games with high meta like Horizon, plenty of examples like Pupeteer not selling well. It's not guaranteed to sell well. just because of the userbase. 

2. First party games don't sell as well on Sony consoles as xb1 and ninty games do on their respective consoles. Especially new IPs.

3. A lot of highly acclaimed games launched the last couple of weeks that some people must have bought. Those people may not be able to justify another purchase when they haven't even beaten those.

4. Sony games get price cuts weeks or months after launch. Ninty games usually don't. It'd be wise for a ps4 owner to wait a few weeks before buying Horizon. It doesn't even have multiplayer so no need to buy it at launch.

5. A lot of ps4 owners probably have huge bakclogs and they can't justify a new purchase (I'm talking about games that came out years ago, not Ni-oh, Near, Yakuza, etc).

6. They have far more options to choose from than switch owners. Hundreds of games they could get through a sale or second hand.

7. They may rather spend their money on one of the many huge 3rd party games coming out in the next few weeks/months and buy Horizon later or never.

8. They didn't just buy a new console, so there is no need to buy at least one game to justify its purchase. So, for example, I have a ps4 and won't buy a ps4 game this week. If I were to buy a Switch, I'd at least buy one game to make some use of it. Zelda is easily the best option (also one of the very few options).

If by acknowledging that installbase is important and the main argument to explain Zelda's sales is a strawman, then sure, I'm totally using a strawman tactic.