By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn beats Zelda to No.1 in UK ( PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch)

Peh said:

Guess which console has the bigger user base at the moment.

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

So,  who can sell their software the most?

^

Also, funny to see so many people salty at HZD beating out zelda in the UK. Who cares? Both did decent, especially when you realize Horizon Zero Dawn is a new IP, and that BotW released on a userbase of 14 million

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:
Haha your comparing sales on a Console Which just launched and roughly sold 1/4million in the UK..
Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Theres actually a sales nr in the article.

They say ~80k, which means about or almost 80k.

Abit below 80k is less than 1/4th of a million (which is 250k units).

80k Switches sold in the UK? Haha so how can a game top charts if the system hasn't even sold there yet..

Zelda will probably sell 5-7m lifetime 

CGI-Quality said:
naruball said:

2. First party games don't sell as well on Sony consoles as xb1 and ninty games do on their respective consoles. Especially new IPs.

This is the only one I strongly disagree with, especially when talking MS vs Sony onwed franchises. And new IPs have, on average, sold better on the PS4 than the X1. 

Hm. Maybe I need to do some more research then. I've noticed too many new ips flopping on ps consoles (didn't a sony representative say that only 4/10 exclusives turn a profit?). I could be wrong. But yes, perhaps I should have left MS out of it. But I seriously think that had Little Big Planet 3 been a Ninty IP, it would have sold much better on Wiiu. Ninty fans embrace 1st party games than ps fans do (again, need to to more research but that's the impression I got).

CGI-Quality said:
naruball said:

2. First party games don't sell as well on Sony consoles as xb1 and ninty games do on their respective consoles. Especially new IPs.

This is the only one I strongly disagree with, especially when talking MS vs Sony onwed franchises (though I disagree, to a degree, with #4 also). And new IPs have, on average, sold better on the PS4 than the X1. 

Just saw the bolded. Care to elaborate?

Azzanation said:
JRPGfan said:

Theres actually a sales nr in the article.

They say ~80k, which means about or almost 80k.

Abit below 80k is less than 1/4th of a million (which is 250k units).

80k Switches sold in the UK? Haha so how can a game top charts if the system hasn't even sold there yet..

Zelda will probably sell 5-7m lifetime 

What about the Wii U numbers?

Around the Network
naruball said:
zero129 said:

But what exactly does Horizon have against it?. Its a AAA Sony Exclusive, Got pretty good reviews, Lots of marketing and exposure, so what other big WRPG has launched on PS4 this year so far thats had all that?. Fact is Horizon has a much bigger install base to sell to even if less then 10% of its install base only shows interest.

Bolded: So admitting that your using Strawman tactics?.

1. It's a new IP. Plenty of New IPs have failed. Check out the thread of tearaway and everyone being certain that the ps4 version would sell better because the instalbase of ps4 is much larger than that of psv. In the end Tearaway sold close to a million on psv and flopped on ps4. As for games with high meta like Horizon, plenty of examples like Pupeteer not selling well. It's not guaranteed to sell well. just because of the userbase. 

3. A lot of highly acclaimed games launched the last couple of weeks that some people must have bought. Those people may not be able to justify another purchase when they haven't even beaten those.

4. Sony games get price cuts weeks or months after launch. Ninty games usually don't. It'd be wise for a ps4 owner to wait a few weeks before buying Horizon. It doesn't even have multiplayer so no need to buy it at launch.

5. A lot of ps4 owners probably have huge bakclogs and they can't justify a new purchase (I'm talking about games that came out years ago, not Ni-oh, Near, Yakuza, etc).

6. They have far more options to choose from than switch owners. Hundreds of games they could get through a sale or second hand.

7. They may rather spend their money on one of the many huge 3rd party games coming out in the next few weeks/months and buy Horizon later or never.

8. They didn't just buy a new console, so there is no need to buy at least one game to justify its purchase. So, for example, I have a ps4 and won't buy a ps4 game this week. If I were to buy a Switch, I'd at least buy one game to make some use of it. Zelda is easily the best option (also one of the very few options).

If by acknowledging that installbase is important and the main argument to explain Zelda's sales is a strawman, then sure, I'm totally using a strawman tactic.

#4 "doesn't have multiplayer" Lamest most overrated excuse ever. Had good game had multiplayer this first time around most likely something else within it would have failed, graphics, story you name it. Does Zelda warrant multiplayer? 

Peh said:

54 million customers on PS4 vs 13 million on Wii U and less than 2 million on Switch.

The brand new hyped console with only one game :^)

vizigoth said:

#4 "doesn't have multiplayer" Lamest most overrated excuse ever. Had good game had multiplayer this first time around most likely something else within it would have failed, graphics, story you name it. Does Zelda warrant multiplayer? 

Instead of calling something lame, how about you just state why you disagree with it? Plenty of people have stated that they buy multiplayer games at launch because if they wait too long, everyone else will get better by the time they do or in some cases the community won't be very active. It's the reason so many people want to buy COD at launch. Plus, that was only part of the reason I gave.

But sure, call it lame or whatever you want. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean others don't buy games with that in mind.

The Fury said:
Kinda makes sense. 2 days extra plus available on a load more consoles as Zelda would be limited by people having to buy the console as well.

I've seen the Horizon advertised more too, Zelda is only really advertised at the end of the Switch advert.

You do know Zelda is available on the Wii U as well right?

Peh said:

So by that logic, Wii U version should sell more than the Switch version right?