By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Seal Clubbing is a sick tradition and it must end!

IsawYoshi said:
Teeqoz said:

Are you talking about the spiked pick (hakapik) now? Because apparently it is also legal to use something like a baseball bat, and I can imagine that not killing them instantaneously, and thus it shouldn't be allowed. However the spiked pick (hakapik) kills them instantly. Shaking doesn't mean that they aren't dead. Muscles can spass out post mortem. But while I haven't heard about seals being skinned alive, if they are, that is obviously wrong and should be stopped. But if the seals are killed instantaneously (such as with a hakapik) and both the meat and the fur is used, I don't see a problem.

A baseball bat with spikes sounds bad though, so I'm hoping that's something that actually doesn't happen. :P 

That's exactly what it is!

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Around the Network
Ps3 said:
Leadified said:

It's really not worth getting banned over this thread, let it go.

They're cursing at me, and being really mean, and not respecting my first ammendment rights.

Yeah about that. You're really pushing your luck with some of your posts in this thread, along with that I'm questioning if you are serious or if you are trolling, third learn to use the multi-quote function.

Tread carefully now.

IsawYoshi said:
Ps3 said:

Well, I'm gonna continue to stand up for the seals. So if you can't take it then oh well!

Oh no, do not misunderstand me. I'm staying untill you back down and decide to answer my posts with facts backed up by sources. :)

My source is multiple websites and books I've read all over. These seals are murdered.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

IsawYoshi said:
Teeqoz said:

Are you talking about the spiked pick (hakapik) now? Because apparently it is also legal to use something like a baseball bat, and I can imagine that not killing them instantaneously, and thus it shouldn't be allowed. However the spiked pick (hakapik) kills them instantly. Shaking doesn't mean that they aren't dead. Muscles can spass out post mortem. But while I haven't heard about seals being skinned alive, if they are, that is obviously wrong and should be stopped. But if the seals are killed instantaneously (such as with a hakapik) and both the meat and the fur is used, I don't see a problem.

In norway it seems to be hakapik and slagkrok that is legal, the pictures I get from slagkrok makes it seem very much like a hakapik. 

There also seems to be regulation on the length of the blund and spiky end to ensure that these tools works properly. 

A baseball bat with spikes sounds bad though, so I'm hoping that's something that actually doesn't happen. :P 

Yeah, in Norway a baseball bat definitely wouldn't cut it, but I do think it might be allowed in Canada, but I may be wrong here.

Leadified said:
Ps3 said:

They're cursing at me, and being really mean, and not respecting my first ammendment rights.

Yeah about that. You're really pushing your luck with some of your posts in this thread, along with that I'm questioning if you are serious or if you are trolling, third learn to use the multi-quote function.

Tread carefully now.

I sent you a messaege.

Around the Network
Ps3 said:
IsawYoshi said:

Is this the point where you try to convince me that I'm looking at a spiked baseball bat? 

That's a hakapik, and it is the most humane way of killing a seal. The law, at least in norway spesificly says that you have to use this weapon to kill the seal, as it is the best way of doing so. 

It's still a bat though, regardless if it has a spike. It's a piece of wood with a handle. Call it what you want, but it's clubbing.

I must have misunderstood what you ment by clubbing then. The way he is killing that seal is proven to be the most humane way of doing so. 

Here's a portion of norwegian law, with rough translationby me in bold:

• Avlivingen skal foregå på en slik måte at dyret ikke lider unødig. Ending the seals life will be done in a manner to ensure that the animal doesn't suffer needlessly
  • Voksne dyr skal skytes. Unger skal skytes eller slås med hakapik eller slagkrok. Adult animals are to be shot. Young animals are to be shot or striken with a hakapik or a slagkrok
  • Dyr som er skutt skal snarest mulig slås med hakapik. På unger kan også nyttes slagkrok. Animals that is shot will asap be struck with a hakapik. On younger animals slagkrok will do.
  • Ved bruk av hakapik eller slagkrok skal selen slås i hodeskallen. Først skal selen slås med redskapets butte ende eller hammer slik at skalletaket knuses. Deretter skal redskapets pigg slås dypt ned i hjernen. På dyr som er skutt og ligger stille, er det tilstrekkelig å bruke redskapets pigg. By using the hakapik or the slagkrok the seal will be struck in the skull. Firstly the seal shall be struck by the blunt side of the tool (the hammer) so that the roof of the skull will be fractured. Folling the sharp end of the tool will be struck deeply into the brain. On animals that is shot and lie still it is sufficient to use the sharp end. 

IsawYoshi said:
Ps3 said:

It's still a bat though, regardless if it has a spike. It's a piece of wood with a handle. Call it what you want, but it's clubbing.

I must have misunderstood what you ment by clubbing then. The way he is killing that seal is proven to be the most humane way of doing so. 

Here's a portion of norwegian law, with rough translationby me in bold:

• Avlivingen skal foregå på en slik måte at dyret ikke lider unødig. Ending the seals life will be done in a manner to ensure that the animal doesn't suffer needlessly
  • Voksne dyr skal skytes. Unger skal skytes eller slås med hakapik eller slagkrok. Adult animals are to be shot. Young animals are to be shot or striken with a hakapik or a slagkrok
  • Dyr som er skutt skal snarest mulig slås med hakapik. På unger kan også nyttes slagkrok. Animals that is shot will asap be struck with a hakapik. On younger animals slagkrok will do.
  • Ved bruk av hakapik eller slagkrok skal selen slås i hodeskallen. Først skal selen slås med redskapets butte ende eller hammer slik at skalletaket knuses. Deretter skal redskapets pigg slås dypt ned i hjernen. På dyr som er skutt og ligger stille, er det tilstrekkelig å bruke redskapets pigg. By using the hakapik or the slagkrok the seal will be struck in the skull. Firstly the seal shall be struck by the blunt side of the tool (the hammer) so that the roof of the skull will be fractured. Folling the sharp end of the tool will be struck deeply into the brain. On animals that is shot and lie still it is sufficient to use the sharp end. 

Just because they're saying it's humane doesn't make it humane. So that doesn't really change any minds here.

Ps3 said:
IsawYoshi said:

Do you eat eggs?

Yes, I do, but I let my chicken lay them.. I don't hit her with bats when she doesn't lay them.

Good for you then! But to be exact here, it is not okay that dogs are kept in the same cage, it is however completely fine that chickens are kept in pens like this?

I can see why you think that way though, I mean, it's not like chickens have feelings or anything. Feelings is something only cute animals have. 

Ps3 said:
IsawYoshi said:

We're having fun though!

I'm legit having fun debating my little heart out. I don't hold any grudges against you just do you know. <3 but seal clubbing is wrong.

Haha, glad to see that we're both on the same page here x) <3

IsawYoshi said:
Ps3 said:

Yes, I do, but I let my chicken lay them.. I don't hit her with bats when she doesn't lay them.

Good for you then! But to be exact here, it is not okay that dogs are kept in the same cage, it is however completely fine that chickens are kept in pens like this?

I can see why you think that way though, I mean, it's not like chickens have feelings or anything. Feelings is something only cute animals have. 

Well, most chickens aren't valued as family members by most people like dogs, cats, mini pigs, seals, and ferrets are. I'm not saying it's okay, but seals aren't kept in cages, so I don't know how this makes an argument. Perhaps you can explain that?

Chickens are kind of cute....